BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
Stanbec

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default 8310 Not able to work as Modem?!

Please Login to Remove!

I have been on the phone with my service provider for over 2 hours over 3 calls. Finally the supervisor told them to tell me to reference a BB.com support article #KB05196 (which is the standard setup) and made it clear that they couldn't help me further.

I never had any challenges with other BBs but cannot get this to connect. The BVRP connection manager Rogers provides detects the phone as a 7310 and won't connect. Trying to do it through a modem set up as per normal doesn't seem to work either. I get "error 692- hardware failure in the modem or connecting hardware". Tried it with BB desktop software on and off.

Have others had similar challenges? Tried on it someone else's 8310 with the same result.

Please help if you can
Old 03-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
Steve-hose
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Did you used to have a 7310? What modems are listed in phone/modems of control panel when the DM is connected, and can you sync?
Old 03-29-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
crackberry.addict
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 24460d2a
Carrier: tmobile

did you create a dun?
proper APN's on your computer?
proper AT command in the DUN?
Old 03-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
srotman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanbec View Post
I have been on the phone with my service provider for over 2 hours over 3 calls. Finally the supervisor told them to tell me to reference a BB.com support article #KB05196 (which is the standard setup) and made it clear that they couldn't help me further.

I never had any challenges with other BBs but cannot get this to connect. The BVRP connection manager Rogers provides detects the phone as a 7310 and won't connect. Trying to do it through a modem set up as per normal doesn't seem to work either. I get "error 692- hardware failure in the modem or connecting hardware". Tried it with BB desktop software on and off.

Have others had similar challenges? Tried on it someone else's 8310 with the same result.

Please help if you can
Hey Stanbec,

Don't want to sound rude but I'm in a hurry to leave the house so I can't answer your question right now. HOWEVER, I'm a Rogers customer as well, with an 8310, and I have it working as a modem. It was real easy to setup.

I'll probably forget to come back to this thread later so I'm posting this now to ask you to PM me to remind me to get back to you and tell you what I did to get it working.

Cheers.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
Stanbec

Thanks for all the questions and suggestions. Here is where I am at. With USB, the "standard" modem does not recognize that a modem is installed and will not load the RIM drivers.
It is simply undetected.
strotman had success with a bluetooth connection which automatically installed a modem connection when installed. Think I'll try this unless someone can suggest a specific way to establish a modem setup that will recognize the 8310 as a modem.

J
Old 04-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
Steve-hose
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Is DM running when you look then at the standard modem properties?
Old 04-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
srotman

Wow. This is even easier than I thought!

Stanbec, as I said in my PM to you, you need to have a modem setup. Well with Bluetooth it creates a fake modem for you that will basically connect to your BlackBerry via Bluetooth when you try to establish a connection through a Windows Dial-up connection.

I decided to look into the USB situation and I can't believe I'm so stupid! BlackBerry Desktop Manager sets up a fake modem for you already! I saw teh modem drivers on my hard drive thinking you have to install them manually but then I looked in my modems listing in the Control Panel and saw a random modem there. The thing is, I don't have a modem in my computer. So I queried the modem that was there and low-and-behold it's a BlackBerry modem!

So you should already be setup to go. Just go to Network Options in your Control Panel. Make a new connection. Say it's a dial-up connection. Tell it to use that "Standard Modem" and use the number I gave you to dial in!

If you don't have a modem, uninstall BB Desktop Manager because it's clearly an old version. Go to blackberry.com and download the latest. It will install the modem for you.

Good luck.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #8
Stanbec

Steve- Hose, I've tried it both ways.
Crackberryaddict, I don't know what a DUN is but have drilled down to the specific challenge.

Srottman-
Just found some with the same problem I have:
There is no standard modem installed. I tried to repair the desktop without a change. The software I have is v4.2.2; up to date. I will attempt to download and reinstall the software.
I guess I'm not the only one with this challenge. (as per the thread below)

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ard-modem.html
Old 04-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
srotman

Stanbec, the thread you quoted is 2 years old. I hope that guy has figured things out since then!

Did you check this out?: http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...em-laptop.html
Closed Thread