BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
mglasser

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Unhappy Blackberry / Outlook Time Zone Sync Issue (NOT THE OVER DISCUSSED TYPICAL ONE!)

Please Login to Remove!

Setup:
Blackberry 8703E v 4.2.1.106 (Platform 2.3.0.20)
Verizon Wireless
BB Desktop Manager v 4.3.0.15
MS Outlook 2007

Problem: The "Map Fields" window under the Advanced Calendar Sync setup does not offer anyway to map time zone. So, I set the time zone for all of my appointments in Outlook based on the time zone of the appointment, but the time zone doesn't carry to the BB. The appointments work properly and map properly, but the BB indicates the wrong time zone which gets under my skin.

It seems that in Outlook the time zone for the start and the time zone for the end of an appointment can be set seperately, while the BB only allows for the setting of an appointment time zone as a whole. For example, in Outlook, my flight starts at 7:30AM EST and ends at 10:30AM PST but on my BB my flight starts at 7:30AM EST and ends at 1:30PM EST.

So, while this is technicaly correct from UTP reference stand point, the BB is displaying inaccurate time zone identification information.

Any ideas on how to get the time zone fields to synch?

Solution:
[Fill in the blank please!]
Old 03-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I think I understand, but I'm not sure . . . If you were setting the flight times on the blackberry, the thing to do would be to set the flight start in the eastern time zone and then set the appointment (flight) duration, letting the blackberry calcuate the end time. So, when setting it in Outlook, why not mimic that?

ADDED: In different words, don't set the end time in Outlook in pacific time; set the start and end in the same time zone (in this case, eastern).

The way to look at it in my opinion, is the times showing in the calendar are according to the time showing on the blackberry, not the local clock.

Last edited by aiharkness; 03-26-2008 at 04:39 PM..
Old 03-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

By the way, welcome to the group, mglasser!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
mglasser

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I am trying to be as accurate as possible. Since Outlook is giving me the option of setting the take-off time in EST (which is where the plane takes off) and the landing time in PST (which is where the plane lands), I'd like to be accurate. That's not the core of the question though.

Maybe two seperate questions would have been better:

#1 - Outlook allows appointment start and stop times to be in two different time zones but BB does not. Any advice/comments?

#2 - Outlook does not synch time zone information with the BB. How can I get this to synch?

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglasser View Post
I am trying to be as accurate as possible. Since Outlook is giving me the option of setting the take-off time in EST (which is where the plane takes off) and the landing time in PST (which is where the plane lands), I'd like to be accurate. That's not the core of the question though.

Maybe two seperate questions would have been better:

#1 - Outlook allows appointment start and stop times to be in two different time zones but BB does not. Any advice/comments?

#2 - Outlook does not synch time zone information with the BB. How can I get this to synch?

Thanks.
Actually, I don't see a way to specify time zone in my version of Outlook, but it's old. I take it for granted that you can do it.

If the timezone specified in Outlook does not carry over to the blackberry when you sync, then all I can offer is the suggest to enter the times offset according to you home/work time zone and make sure blackberry is set to the same time zone when you sync.

Maybe someone has a better idea. Will see.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

An afterthought to what I wrote above: Me, I would do the flight time entries on the blackberry and sync with Outlook (which is what I do anyway, matter of fact). As I say, enter the start time and the appointment duration. Hope that helps.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #7
caggie01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 25DB352D
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted

The only thing I've seen that comes close to manipulating the BB calendar the way you want is Worldmate Live. When I land in Amsterdam from hou, it asks if I want to change the time to local time. If you do, the appoint show up at the right time locally.

AT&T
9800 Torch
Playbook 64G
Closed Thread