Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
gwgaston
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 5790
Carrier: Velocita
Default S/MIME CALs - Now free

Please Login to Remove!

The BlackBerry Connection Newsletter that came today didn’t exactly spell it out (nor does the link below), but several folks at RIM (both sales and T-Support) have confirmed that we no longer need to purchase S/MIME CALs.

This is a recent change so expect online resellers to be slow getting the word and updating their sites.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)

Edit: Here is one vendor that has confirmed with RIM and updated their website:

RIM BlackBerry S/MIME CALs, Government BlackBerry CALs is an added layer of protection to your existing BES CALs used mainly and not exclusively in Government municipalities.

Last edited by gwgaston; 06-05-2008 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: Additional Info
Old 06-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
adamli9
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

That's incredible! I'll install it next week. It was way too expensive for us to justify the purchase of them before.

It used to be about $9,899 for 100 users.

Blackberry S/MIME Licensing for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, SMIME Software Security for Blackberry Enterprise Server, BES S/MIME, Blackberry Enterprise Server Licensing, Enterprise Server, Blackberry Handheld Security Software for PKI, Entrust,
Old 06-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
coachthomas4192

Model: 7290
Carrier: verizon

I just spoke with RIM and was told that the S/MIME support package is now free but that the CALs still have to be purchased.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
gwgaston
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 5790
Carrier: Velocita

Just to be clear, we are talking specifically about the S/MIME CALs... the BES CALs are of course still needed.

Before I posted this, I got confirmation from:

1) AT&T RIM rep (email and verbal)
2) RIM sales (verbal)
3) T-Support (email reply)

Additionally the vendor I referenced in my first post also contacted RIM and was told the same. That is why he no longer has them for sale on his site.

When I first read the message from RIM that "The S/MIME Support Package is now available as a free download", I took that to mean that the install media could now be publically downloaded. In the past you needed to have a T-Support contract to access the download (or get a link to download it when you purchased the CALs). I didn't see anything there specifically stating that S/MIME CALs are not required to be purchased. So when our AT&T contact told us that we no longer had to buy them... I went looking for verification. When I called RIM and spoke to sales, the women I spoke with initially said they were still selling them, but after I explained that I had heard differently (and provided the RIM employee's name), she put me on hold to verify. When she returned she stated that it was a recent change, but yes S/MIME CALs were no longer required to be purchased. Not satisfied with that I opened a T-Support case. Their reply:

"I just wanted to confirm and let you know that S/MIME client access licenses are indeed now free."

They really should really make an official announcement.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
legacyb4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Mobility

This is a good thing.