Old 04-05-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
CruisingWriter
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Default Frustrated with the 8800 and RIM

Please Login to Remove!

Hello:

I am new to these forums, so pardon me if I start with a prickly posting.

I just do not get RIM. What do they think they are up to with the 8800. I am a professional travel writer, and it was about year ago that I decided it was high time for a PDA type phone. It was also absolutely necessary that this device have tethering 3G capability for my laptops. All too often, I’m in places where Wi-FI is not available. As a moderator of a large Net type web site, I must have high speed internet access wherever I go.

So, it looked like the 8703e (with Verizon) was the answer to all my needs. I had studied the Blackberry vs Windows based devices, and I definitely decided that the Blackberry system was the way I wanted to go. And then, I learned that the 8703e did NOT have voice activated dialing. I was and still am amazed. How could RIM not build in this capability, which even low priced cell phones now enjoy. And, I MUST have voice activated dialing, that will work with a bluetooth earpiece. As much as I’m on the road, this is a necessity, not just a nicety.

Nevertheless, I purchased a 8703e, but had to keep my Motorolla cell phone for voice dialing capability. So, I had, and am still having to pay for two lines, when I should only need one.

Then, I hear about the upcoming release of the 8800. Here, I thought was the answer to my prayers. Voice dialing capability and GPS too. I was in heaven. Then, I learned that not only does the 8800 not have Wi-Fi capability, as promised, but, much worse, it is NOT a 3G device, so I can not tether my laptop to it, and have wireless broadband access. How incredibly disappointing. So, I am being forced to stay with my 8703e!

Again, what is RIM playing at. Why leave 3G out of the 8800. It makes no sense. RIM could have blown away the competition by including, at least, 3G, and preferably Wi-FI access as well. I am incredibly perplexed.

Does anyone know why RIM did not include 3G with the 8800? And, perhaps more importantly, is there any new RIM model on the horizon which will have all the capabilities of the 8703e, WITH voice activated dialing AND GPS??????????

Any insights would be MUCH appreciated!

Frustrated with RIM
Old 04-05-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Sounds like you need another PDA.. The BB may not be right for you.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
ceschab

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

This is a question you should ask Cingular
Old 04-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceschab
This is a question you should ask Cingular
Why? They didn't make the phone. They just sell it.

To the OP...BBs are designed as e-mail devices first. As their e-mail is already pretty close to "instant"...I don't imagine they're in a rush to add features like 3G, etc. Not that they won't...

Unfortunately, you're in the minority, and have different needs than most users that seek out these handhelds. I have to concur with NJB...doesn't sound like a BB is right for you.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
CruisingWriter

Well, OK, I hear all of you. However, why then did RIM put 3G in the 8703e. And, why not put voice activated dialing in the 8703e.
As to moving on to a different PDA phone, pretty much all the rest are based on a variant of mobile windows. I think BB's operating system is superior.
Also, I've discovered my 8703e picks up usable signal, for both voice and 3G data, in places where Motorolla's PDA phone can't even touch.
So, at least for the moment, I've sticking with my 8703e, AND my good, old Motorolla phone with voice dialing and blue tooth earpiece dialing capability, but, as I inferred in my initial message, this is NOT the idea scenerio.
More input on this subject would be much appreciated!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingWriter
Then, I learned that not only does the 8800 not have Wi-Fi capability, as promised...
Who promised??? Don't take rumor as a promise of what a device will or will not have.

Quote:
...but, much worse, it is NOT a 3G device, so I can not tether my laptop to it, and have wireless broadband access.
You can tether the 8800 just like you do with your 8703e. Difference is in the speeds of the networks they connect to.

Verizon 8703e= EVDO
Cingular 8800 = EDGE
EVDO > EDGE

Quote:
Again, what is RIM playing at. Why leave 3G out of the 8800. It makes no sense. RIM could have blown away the competition by including, at least, 3G, and preferably Wi-FI access as well. I am incredibly perplexed.
Quote:

Does anyone know why RIM did not include 3G with the 8800?
My theory on this is simple. The 8800 is an interim device. In my opinion there is no major difference between the 8700 and 8800 series devices. To me, the 8800 is a minor upgrade to the 8700 plain and simple.

Wi-Fi is a different story. From my understanding RIM has been having difficulties producing a stable and secure implementation. Personally I would rather RIM not add something new until is works reasonable well.

Quote:
And, perhaps more importantly, is there any new RIM model on the horizon which will have all the capabilities of the 8703e, WITH voice activated dialing AND GPS??????????
Currently the only BlackBerry devices that have voice dialing are running handheld OS v4.2. This seems to be standard on all new devices. Which one will have GPS or Wi-Fi will be hit or miss. Not everyone wants every option especially when it makes the price of the handheld go up. I fully expect that every new BlackBerry that has GPS or Wi-Fi will also have voice dialing.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
CruisingWriter

Thanks Doug:

That is VERY helpful. Yours is the first explanation I've seen that really makes sense.

Speaking purely from my own perspective, 3G is FAR more important than Wi-Fi, but it would be nice to have a BB that has both. However, I would settle most happily for an 8703e size and type device, with 3G (as the 8703e already has) and voice dialing capability (including Bluetooth ear pierce voice dailing capability)!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:50 PM   #8
Andrew M

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

CruisingWriter,

I know I'm a bit late with this thread but I pretty much have the same requirements you do.

I've always had a QWERTY BlackBerry, started with the 7290 and then the 8700 and I've now switch to the Pearl (8100) because of the voice dialing, smaller factor, 1.3 MP Camera, 2GB media card and the fact that I can still access my corporate environment with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server which syncs my calendar, notes, tasks and contacts. I also have my personal Hotmail and GMail accounts on it.

I still have the need for my laptop because of the nature of my work so I bought a 3G PCMCIA wireless card and then just use the embedded Wi-Fi where available.

With this setup, I have the best of both worlds. Not on one handheld but hey, its the best I could figure out till RIM comes out with the next best thing. I also have a GPS Bluetooth Puck which connects to my Pearl. Great in rental cars.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

According to most studies I've seen, speed gains of 3G over EDGE are simply not worth the decrease in battery life.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

My opinion, only: The entire dilemma and lack of needed features the original poster requires is somewhat like purchasing a nice new sleek sports car, and then asking everyone why the manufacturer did not include a heavy duty diesel engine, towing package and a rear cargo area. To me the answer to both situations is because the device was not made for that purpose, and if you need those capabilities (as of current models) you will need to purchase a different product for that purpose.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #11
CruisingWriter

Smile Vindicated

I started this thread several weeks ago out of frustration with RIM for not providing voice dialing capability in the 8703e, or 3G high speed data access in the 8800. Several early replies to this thread suggested that I needed some other type of PDA phone, other than a Blackberry. I replied that I really like the Blackberry system, but need voice dialing and 3G for my business as a travel writer!

Now, I feel "vindicated," with the announcement by Verizon that it will be offering the new Blackberry 8830 with BOTH voice dialing and 3G. It looks like someone at RIM agreed with me that these services are a really good idea for a Blackberry.

I still wonder whether the 8830's GPS capability with be available in the Verizon version (my carrier), and whether I can stick with my 8703e Verizon $69.95 per month unlimited data plan (plus an additional $9.95 per month for tethering) with the 8830. The international voice and data plan is not at all important to me! If anyone has any news concerning these two questions, PLEASE continue this thread!

Unless data service is much more expensive for the 8830 that my present 8703e, you can put me down for one of the first 8830's as soon as Verizon makes it available. At last, I can quit carrying around TWO phones, and having to pay for two services. Hallejulah!!!!
Old 04-28-2007, 09:20 PM   #12
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Good to hear they listened to you. And in less than one month they got the new device ready
Old 04-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #13
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Good to hear they listened to you. And in less than one month they got the new device ready
Old 04-30-2007, 06:51 PM   #14
CruisingWriter

Smile Vindicated but Humble!

Well:

I did NOT mean to imply that RIM came up with the 8830 just because of me. Ha, ha! I am NOT that egotistical.

What I did mean to say is that RIM must have seen a need corresponding to my own out there in the market, and came up with the 8830.

Again, if anyone has any ideas about the two questions I raised in my past post, cost of data plans for the 8830 with Verizon, and whether Verizon will offer GPS capability with the 8830, PLEASE keep this thread going.

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:24 PM   #15
tomtheguitarguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingWriter View Post
Well:

I did NOT mean to imply that RIM came up with the 8830 just because of me. Ha, ha! I am NOT that egotistical.

What I did mean to say is that RIM must have seen a need corresponding to my own out there in the market, and came up with the 8830.

Again, if anyone has any ideas about the two questions I raised in my past post, cost of data plans for the 8830 with Verizon, and whether Verizon will offer GPS capability with the 8830, PLEASE keep this thread going.

Thanks everyone!

So is there any update to this? Did you switch over to an 8830 from Verizon? And if so, how do you like it?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:39 PM   #16
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

i think you have very high expectations....

if you cannot wait for a device that will have all the features you want, then you can lug around 2 or 3 do suit your needs.

some people lose focus, keep in mind that there will never be a 'perfect' device for anyone except the extremely simple-minded and humble that only really need the basics.

is my pearl perfect ? no, i wish it had this, i wish it had that, but i dealt with it and changed my lifestyle only slightly to work with this device that i will own for a few years. are any of our requests and desires NECESSARY ? no, they are really just WANTS.

you can tell that a nation is well-off when it's citizens cry about not having wi-fi or gps on their latest device, which they probably got for a lot less than the standard arm+leg that Europeans or Asians pay in their country to get the same technology.

BTW, why would you go with verizon ? they cripple nearly all the devices they offer. i hear the same about the 8830, the onboard GPS can only be used with vz navigator.

Last edited by zero7404; 06-25-2007 at 06:42 PM..
Old 06-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #17
redsoxnation
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: SPRINT

what is he talking about 8700 getting 3G? to my knowlege there is NO blackberry with 3G.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #18
darrenlowndes

Model: 8708
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Optus

Hi, I know this is a bit late but i believe I can anwser these questions... The reason RIM have not included 3G on most of their devices is purely and simply to do with Battery life. RIM pride themselves on producing a multi function handheld device and leads the way when it comes to battery life in the devices. 3G is actually power intensive and therefore they wouldn't be able to market themselves so highly in the department.

As im sure you are now aware there is a 3G device in the 8707v, hopefully that meets your needs.....I know its hard to choose the right device for your needs but blackberry seem to have covered most areas especially with the newer releases. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #19
jonabyte
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingWriter View Post

Now, I feel "vindicated," with the announcement by Verizon that it will be offering the new Blackberry 8830 with BOTH voice dialing and 3G. It looks like someone at RIM agreed with me that these services are a really good idea for a Blackberry.
Actually carriers have a say/demand in what the device's they sell will or will not provide. You probably had a beef with Verizon and not RIM.
Closed Thread