BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Would you find this useful?
Absolutely 4 57.14%
I'd like to be able to try it 2 28.57%
NO 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 05:22 AM   #1
forevergreen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: vzw
Default Calendar suggestion/request for RIM

Please Login to Remove!

Apologies is if this is a ramble, but I'd love to know if many others would find this useful....

I have a suggestion for blackberry calendar that I know would be a great enhancement for the way I use my berry, and I suspect most other users as well.

I've found that there are 3 types of to do's:

1. The type that has a date + time
2. The type that has a date, but no time
3. And finally, miscellaneous items with no exact date or time.

I'm currently using calendar for all these items. In the past, I've used Tasks to hold my #3's. It works, but I abandoned it because I hate having to look at two different programs.

So I'm using calendar for all 3. I've been using the "all day event" checkbox for the #2's + #3's. Here is my idea for improving calendar:

I think that, in addition to the "all day event" checkbox, there should be a checkbox right under it for "Task". When you're in the "daily" calendar view, it would show "all day events" first, second would be any scheduled appointments (as it is currently). The items checked using the new "task" checkbox would appear at the bottom, below the timeslots. Here are a couple of other features to this idea that I think would make calendar EXTREMELY useful.

First, the new tasks list would reside at the bottom of the daily view only and would float forward to only appear on the current day's daily view.

Second, I've used todoMatrix from Rex Wireless and they have a "grab + move" feature that is really great for sorting + ordering your tasks in the order you want to do them.

The float feature would help prevent "calendar accumulation" because everything would be right there on the current day. It would also save a lot of jostling of calendar entries in order to pull them to the current day because I didn't get to them the prior day. I don't know if this happens to others as much as to me, but my calendar occasionally becomes a graveyard of "all day events" that were entered as #3's (todos without specific date or time), but I never got to them and haven't had the time to move them forward.

I find that as tasks arise during the day, I tend to put them on the current days calendar. Even small things like bank, then grocery store. Being able to keep these things at the top of the task list and to drag and drop them into the same order they should be completed in, would be fantastic. "Grab + move" or "drag + drop" would be much better than "priority" because it's infinitely adustable and able to be done extremely quickly.

I use the Daily calendar view, almost exclusively and this may be a much more complicated request than I could know.

Last edited by forevergreen; 07-02-2007 at 05:24 AM..
Old 07-02-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
AlwaysOn607
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

This would sure help me!
Old 07-02-2007, 07:42 AM   #3
packetknife
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

And how would you implement this in Exchange or Domino? What would the equivalent be that they'd sync to for Enterprise? That's one of the tougher questions to answer anytime these sort of RFEs get posted.... how they'll integrate with the BEST 'host'. -Pk
Old 07-02-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
cjmac49
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

You might look at pocketday to see if it would help. Seems like it might.

PocketDay Redirect
Old 07-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #5
forevergreen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: vzw

I wasn't thinking of exchange or domino. Needless to say, I don't operate on a server. Maybe this could be a separate calendar application, sold by rexwireless?
Old 07-02-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

You can send your suggestions directly to RIM at [email address]

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread