Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
Bounce
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO
Default T-Mobile Curve - @Home and UMA

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone. I just switched carriers yesterday from cingular/att to T-Mobile. I added on all the great features...obviously, I have been using BB for almost 7 years now

I am having a HUGE problem currently with the mechanics behind the UMA feature. It seems that for some reason, my phone is jumping on and off the UMA network, when I am in close proximity to my wireless router that I am not even moving away from.

My current router I am using is the Apple Airport Extreme N, and I have also used my Linksys N and G routers to test this problem to no avail. It would seem the phone is almost faulty, but based on all I have read in other threads I don't think this is the case.

I am going to upgrade to the .180 operating software for the phone now, and hopefully that makes things better. I am also going to go to starbucks and see how it works over there. Could you guys tell me if you have your units working with a TMO router (because I was under the impression you really didn't need one) -- I would like to make this work without having to add additional routers to the mix. -- Perhaps someone knows how I can optimally set my settings on my router so it can resemble those as would appear on the TMO router?

I appreciate the help.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:04 PM   #2
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

It wil work without the T-Mobile router. Go test the phone at Starbucks and report back, that way we know the location of the problem.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Check the wifi section of Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ

There some good stuff there on setting up wifi
Old 11-25-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
Bounce
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydbrown View Post
It wil work without the T-Mobile router. Go test the phone at Starbucks and report back, that way we know the location of the problem.
Alrite, I will check this ASAP tomorrow and post mobile from the blackberry if i can.

I hope that it works, right now the times that i get the UMA connectivity, I am good.

I am wondering if I might as well get this router the speak of only becuase I am being told it is free after a rebate anyways?

But definitely will update you guys tomorrow, thank you so much for the help thus far!
Old 11-26-2007, 12:55 AM   #5
secretspaz

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

From what I have read...the Airport Extreme doesnt play well with UMA right?
However, I bought an Airport Express and use it at work when I want wireless for my laptop and it keeps UMA until I turn it off.

Maybe it's because of the Extreme runs an N network?

What exactly happens when you are using the non-N routers?

I had this problem for a while (back when I was using my old as hell Netgear router), but changing routers fixed it. I hope for your sake you won't need to change routers!

Have you also tried to contact customer service? the T-mo customer service is pretty good about how to solve things..if it's minor and something they have a record for. In your case, I haven't seen much about it in these forums so it might not be such a well documented case.

Hope you get it to work out!

edit: http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...abler-uma.html

Try calling Cust.Serv.and asking for the UMA feature enabler?

Last edited by secretspaz; 11-26-2007 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: added link
Old 11-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
doppeljr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

I have a Non-TMO Linksys WRT54G and an Airport Express and I can get solid UMA on both with no issues.

I am on the .180 firmware, but not sure if this is needed. Check the FAQ link provided above. You may find the answers as most of the issues are addressed there.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
Bounce
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am on the .180 firmware now also.....I will give you guys my updates....

Last night as a test....I called another number and left it on to see how long it would function....it went for 4:00:51 without shutting off. However today, I am back to the same problem...it seems to me that there is something going on with either my network, or the device settings themselves.

I will go to TMO for this router today, and try to figure out how it will work optimally so I don't lose my calls.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 PM   #8
Bounce
Thumbs Must Hurt

I got the router now....but I haven't set it up as of yet, I am at my school right now, which allows a connection but requires a username and password to get on to the network...

Earlier, I was in a building, where my signal shows SOS, no service. i was able to get a UMA connection in that building by going to my browser and typing in my username and pw.

Now I am in a building that has edge service, and I cannot get on...I get the following error.

W006.3 - ISP or T-Mobile network error.

Meaning: The phone is unable to establish network connectivity: This could be a problem on the ISP side or the network side.

1. The connection to the WAN port of the wireless router is down: either the cable is unplugged or the DSL/Cable modem (whichever applies) is turned off. This could also be caused by an outage of the DSL/Cable service.

2. Check if MAC filtering is enabled on the wireless router. If it is, check that the phone MAC address is on the Safe List, if not, add it.

3. The network that the user is trying to connect to uses Web Redirection: this means that when trying to connect to the network in question with a laptop, you are required to enter username and password or pay to use the service. The phone cannot connect to such networks.

4. IPSec is not enabled on the router you are trying to use. Enable it in the router settings and try again.

5. The problem can be caused by network issues. At this point, the user might want to try at a later time.

How do you think I can make the phone's edge turn off, or force a UMA connection. -- Or get the browser to browse over wifi exclusively and not EDGE?

Okay, I just got it on, but I really don't know what I did exactly.

i turned off "all connections" - then turned on wifi first, browsed a site...it asked for my pw...i put it in, then turned on mobile network.

anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited by Bounce; 11-26-2007 at 07:04 PM..
Old 11-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 06:35 PM..
Old 11-27-2007, 01:21 AM   #10
Bounce
Thumbs Must Hurt

^^ Dave, THANK YOU!

That does clear up a lot. I just got in late, I will have to wait till tomorrow night to install the wifi router at home, I did manage to pick it up from tmobile after a hassle.

Hopefully this will allow me to get better reception around the house using UMA. -- It's not that the reception is that bad, it's just when it goes from UMA to Edge or vice versa....call fails.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:25 AM   #11
John Clark
BBF Moderator

You can also go into Mobile Network under Options and set it to WiFi Only. That way it won't use EDGE at all. That's what I do at home and it doesn't switch back and forth between UMA & EDGE (saving battery life.) However, if you set that you will drop the call when you leave the wifi area.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:33 AM   #12
Bounce
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
You can also go into Mobile Network under Options and set it to WiFi Only. That way it won't use EDGE at all. That's what I do at home and it doesn't switch back and forth between UMA & EDGE (saving battery life.) However, if you set that you will drop the call when you leave the wifi area.
Might not be a bad idea John...I just want it to be smart enough to realize that I am on a call when it switches from UMA to Edge...and not drop the call, I don't mind that it switches off UMA...I mean I dont understand why it does that when I am home....It's almost like it's fighting with the cell tower.

Do you really think the tmobile wifi router will make a difference when I install it, and do you think I can piggy back it on to my current router?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:36 AM   #13
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Grasping at straws here but when you're going from UMA to EDGE you are going to a TMobile tower correct? If you happen to be in a roaming area you will always drop the call.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:58 AM   #14
Bounce
Thumbs Must Hurt

^^ Oh yea, I already ruled that out....definitely going to a T-Mobile tower...my house is blanketed with tmo signal...full signal
Old 11-27-2007, 12:13 PM   #15
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 06:35 PM..
Closed Thread