BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #1
s5nake5
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Default AT&T user trying to get T-Mob or Cing Pearl

Please Login to Remove!

I have had At&t (Cingular Blue) for quit a while now. I have a great plan, so I don't want to switch over to Cingular or Verizon right now.

I really like the pearl but since i am using an AT&T sim card i will not beable to use the html browser, but everything else works fine.

My question is, Should I buy a Cingular branded pearl or a Tmobile Branded Pearl? What are the reasons? Any Pros or Cons? Any other advise or help to makes my decision will be greatful.

Thanks,
s5nake5
Old 01-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
bradhs
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Buy the Cingular Pearl .. It's a little newer. I have 2 pre-merger AT&T accounts with the Charter plan and 2 Cingular accounts. I use my Cingular accounts to buy the Pearl and then have the roaming department unlock them so I can use them overseas and with my pre-merger accounts.

Everything works, including the html browser, not sure why you think it wouldn't work? Did someone tell you that?

Bradley
Old 01-04-2007, 11:49 PM   #3
s5nake5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhs
Buy the Cingular Pearl .. It's a little newer. I have 2 pre-merger AT&T accounts with the Charter plan and 2 Cingular accounts. I use my Cingular accounts to buy the Pearl and then have the roaming department unlock them so I can use them overseas and with my pre-merger accounts.

Everything works, including the html browser, not sure why you think it wouldn't work? Did someone tell you that?

Bradley
Bradley,

Thanks for your input. I have a few questions. when you say pre-merger account your talking about the at&t sim/account? If so, after i unlock the BB how do i get mms to work? do i have to enter the att wap settings? Also how did u get the html internet browser to work? i think you only can use the Mmode service which is not the actual internet. does your email work? if so, what type of plan do you have and how much? any help on this would be appreciated. i got my att plan for 39.99 and it only includes free night and weekends at 7pm - 7am and 1100 anytime minutes. i also pay 7.99 extra for 100 sms and 25 mms.

thanks
Old 01-05-2007, 12:55 AM   #4
bradhs

Answers below ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s5nake5
Bradley,

Thanks for your input. I have a few questions. when you say pre-merger account your talking about the at&t sim/account?
Yes, when I say pre-merger I am referring to an old AT&T account before Cingular took over the company.

Quote:
If so, after i unlock the BB how do i get mms to work?
We don't use MMS because we E-Mail pictures instead. I don't think the MMS is setup and haven't put any effort into setting it up.

Quote:
do i have to enter the att wap settings?
No, you will get privisioned with the correct Service Books that will let you connect to the Internet.

Quote:
Also how did u get the html internet browser to work? i think you only can use the Mmode service which is not the actual internet.
Didn't have to do anything special, just make sure you have BlackBerry Internet provisioned on your pre-merger account.

Quote:
does your email work? if so, what type of plan do you have and how much?
Yes, email works just like my Cingular accounts or any other service provider. I have BlackBerry Enterprise Unlimited.

Quote:
any help on this would be appreciated. i got my att plan for 39.99 and it only includes free night and weekends at 7pm - 7am and 1100 anytime minutes. i also pay 7.99 extra for 100 sms and 25 mms.

thanks
My wife and I are on the $99 unlimited voice and $44.99 unlimited blackberry (BES) data. We are both heavy phone and email users and unfortunately Cingular (or any other carrier) has anything better or equal. Plus we travel outside of the US and being on GSM is wonderful.

If you want, you can call my Cingular representative who has handled countless number of accounts for me and my clients. He is very familiar with how to handle the account. That way you dont have to deal with a potential customer rep who doesnt know what you are talking about. Just send a PM (private message) to me and I'll forward you his info.

Bradley
Old 01-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
ck37

Model: 8700

Hi, I visit the boards quite often. A wealth of info here.
As for the T-mobile version you are correct. The HTML browser does not work with at AT&T sim card. I have been dealing with Blackberry direct for almost a month but no luck. Its up to Cingular to release the Cingular Blue service books for the pearl. Currently they are not. In fact they might not at all.
If it works with the Cingular version pearl that is good news. I might sell my t-mobile version for the Cingular so I can have full usage of the HTML browser.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
muzzman1

Carrier: Cingular Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck37
Hi, I visit the boards quite often. A wealth of info here.
As for the T-mobile version you are correct. The HTML browser does not work with at AT&T sim card. I have been dealing with Blackberry direct for almost a month but no luck. Its up to Cingular to release the Cingular Blue service books for the pearl. Currently they are not. In fact they might not at all.
If it works with the Cingular version pearl that is good news. I might sell my t-mobile version for the Cingular so I can have full usage of the HTML browser.
I am in that exact same situation, I have the AT&T Charter plan, that I have no intentions of changing, and T-mobile phone...but in order to do html web browsing I have found that opera works very well. I dont feel that I am missing anything by not having full HTML on the default browser....or am I?
Old 01-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
ck37

Model: 8700

Well I believe Berry 411 only uses the BB Browser. This is one of my favorite apps, not to mention the amount of money saved on 411 calls.

also just for the fact that anything designed for the blackberry that is web based is going to use the BB browser over Opera.

Besides that, it might not be a big loss, but still limits functionality to some degree.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:28 AM   #8
s5nake5

Bradley, I sent you a PM, but still Haven't heard from you.

Yesterday i called cingular to have my Cingular Pearl unlocked and they started to offer me a deal to switch over to cingular orange ($44.99 - 1100 anytime minutes), but im not sure if I should do it.

What plan do i need to have in order to use my pearl with email only and no internet? What type of plans do you guys have with cingular blue?

Thanks
s5nake5
Old 01-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #9
danedel

Carrier: The "new" at&t

I have a 29.99 voice plan, 800 anytime min, free night and weeknds that start at seven pm, unlim text messageing, calls to anyone with cingular free, free LD and the 39.99 bb unlimeted plan. There is nothing comparable on the orange side.

I posted this a wile back, with no reply
http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...-browsers.html
Old 01-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #10
s5nake5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danedel
I have a 29.99 voice plan, 800 anytime min, free night and weeknds that start at seven pm, unlim text messageing, calls to anyone with cingular free, free LD and the 39.99 bb unlimeted plan. There is nothing comparable on the orange side.

[blackberryforums.com/rim-software/58242-no-internet-browsers]No internet browsers - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community[/url]
What plan do you recommend switching to for the BB if i can't use the html browser and only email? i don't understand 5mb and 10mb - does that include incoming and outgoing and so on? Cingular does a very poor job on explaining any details about their plans.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #11
s5nake5

What are the settings i need to set in order to use my pearl with my AT&T sim?

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #12
muzzman1

Quote:
What are the settings i need to set in order to use my pearl with my AT&T sim?

Thanks.
All I had to do was put "proxy" in the APN, everything works very well....(obviously the phone needs to be unlocked)
Old 01-09-2007, 11:06 PM   #13
s5nake5

what does putting "proxy" in the APN do?
what about wap and mms settings?
Old 01-10-2007, 02:22 AM   #14
bradhs

Unfortunately you can't (through normal methods) extract the Service book from an 8700 and put it on a Pearl. Since we have MDS we have access to the BlackBerry Browser. It works just fine for us...
Old 01-10-2007, 09:53 AM   #15
s5nake5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhs
Unfortunately you can't (through normal methods) extract the Service book from an 8700 and put it on a Pearl. Since we have MDS we have access to the BlackBerry Browser. It works just fine for us...
Bradley, i sent you a PM.

thanks
s5nake5
Old 01-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #16
ir_dizzle

s5nake5 (or anyone for that matter),

If the PM is about information regarding the AT&T sim card used w/ a unlocked bb pearl, please send me one... also if it is just info in general... please send me one...

This forum has provided the most info regarding cingular blue info by far...

Thank you
Old 01-21-2007, 10:19 PM   #17
dgray8
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

COMING FROM A CINGULAR BLUE DATA SUPPORT REP (me): a few warnings for you if you buy the pearl...either the tmo or cingular version. first of all....if at all possible....PLEASE DON'T BUY IT!!!

Here is what won't work (or will work very limited):

MMS: won't work at all
Browser (BB one): either won't work or will only have the WAP browser functionality like the old mMode browsers (if you are lucky)

Both the above have been confirmed by RIM and Cingular jointly so any Pearl user that wants those features to work will have to migrate to Cingular orange.

Last edited by dgray8; 01-21-2007 at 10:59 PM..
Old 01-21-2007, 10:22 PM   #18
dgray8
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danedel

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...-browsers.html

too bad I hadn't seen that one back then or I would've posted the same thing probably.....though the confirmation from RIM wasn't till recently....after they tried for over a month to get the issue fixed on another unlocked Pearl w/ no success.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:39 PM   #19
muzzman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgray8
COMING FROM A CINGULAR BLUE DATA SUPPORT REP (me): a few warnings for you if you buy the pearl...either the tmo or cingular version. first of all....if at all possible....PLEASE DON'T BUY IT!!!

Here is what won't work (or will work very limited):

MMS: won't work at all
Browser: either won't work or will only have the WAP browser (if you are lucky)

Both the above have been confirmed by RIM and Cingular jointly so any Pearl user that wants those features to work will have to migrate to Cingular orange.
I must be a lucky one...I have the charter plan (99.99 unlimited) I pay (I believe 39.99) for My blackberry data...and I am able to browse the internet with Opera mini, I am able to tether my phone to my laptop and surf at EDGE speeds. I have google maps, I am able to send/receive push email. In fact every application works flawlessly!!
I DO NOT have MMS, nor am I interested in it, because I can email any pics I want to anyone without a problem.
I don't need the blackberry browser for more than anything than WAP, because I have Opera.....This is by far the BEST phone I have ever owned, and being on AT&T cingular blue, I don't feel as though I am not able to use the phone to its fullest capacity!!
Old 01-21-2007, 10:58 PM   #20
dgray8
CrackBerry Addict

opps....shoud've edited it to say BB browser....Opera mini wasn't tested so don't know if its an exception.

Edit: there we go fixed my omission from earlier.
Closed Thread