Old 09-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #61
CBR900RR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: Tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolaos View Post
my current 8800 offers it for free, hassle free. I will not pay extra for a new 8820 and $10/month for a feature that I enjoy using when I needed it. I understand what you could be saying, but since the 8800 offers it, so should the 8820.... We give you WIFI, but we take free GPS>.. then who knows what they will take away when they offer 3G :p
Don't you see that,
3G(in the future), Wi-Fi, camera, GPS
They just give it to you one at a time or doing different combination, and give it a new model number, with the same core system.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:55 PM   #62
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
So it is CRITICAL but you do not want to pay?
I don't think some people understand what the word CRITICAL means (expecially in all caps like that) because people throw it around freely in place of the words somewhat important. They mean COMPLETELY different things. If something is somewhat important, it can be looked over in favor of other factors. If something is CRITICAL, it means it is something you absolutely MUST have and you will pay extra to get it, and if its critical enough, do anything necessary to obtain it.

So, in his case it is probably not CRITICAL, just something he considers to be on top of his list somewhere and he is just blurting out words to emphasize his frustration with the matter.

Forgive my ramble, I am currently in class and in a lecturing mood (cuz thats what I do!). LOL
Old 09-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #63
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscaudi View Post
Excellent. Be sure to post back with first impressions... and if the GPS issue is real.
Anyone know if its available physically at a corporate store? I may just run over and pick one up today and report back my findings. It will give me a chance to make up my mind between the 8820 and the AT&T Tilt with BlackBerry Connect.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #64
mdkappy

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A

Just went to a local store in Northern NJ. There was a box with their demo, but no phones yet. They told me to call back later - which I did. A UPS shipment came in but the salesman was unauthorized to open it and put them into inventory. He's not sure if there are any 8820's in the shipment. I'm calling back after 3:30 p.m.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:15 PM   #65
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuopus View Post
Anyone know if its available physically at a corporate store? I may just run over and pick one up today and report back my findings. It will give me a chance to make up my mind between the 8820 and the AT&T Tilt with BlackBerry Connect.
I had a friend who said he used Blackberry Connect on his Palm Phone. He said it worked well but the Blackberry Connect feature cost more than a regular Blackberry Plan? Is that so?

(not CRITICAL) <vbg>
Old 09-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #66
ilivas

Model: 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolaos View Post
Well I went ahead and ordered the 8820, overnighted it from ATT business with 60% DISCOUNT came out to $302... Thanks ATT and blackberryforums! Cant wait to receive it!

How did you get the 60% discount?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #67
wesly
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR900RR View Post
When you go to OPTIONS>ADVANCE OPTIONS>GPS is the GPS turn on and you have a reading of Latitude and longtude?

Does is work with TELENAV but nut not BBmap and google map?

Thanks.
Ok when I go to Options>Advanced Options>GPS>
The GPS Data Source says Device GPS this option can not be changed.
GPS Locations: does not show a reading for Latitude or Longitude

I haven't installed the Telenav I just downloaded google map I have to see if it picks up my location there isn't an option to Start GPS like with bbmap.

Sorry if I am showing my lack of knowledge with this but I just started looking into the GPS issue so I need to keep looking into it more. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:53 PM   #68
CBR900RR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesly View Post
Ok when I go to Options>Advanced Options>GPS>
The GPS Data Source says Device GPS this option can not be changed.
GPS Locations: does not show a reading for Latitude or Longitude

I haven't installed the Telenav I just downloaded google map I have to see if it picks up my location there isn't an option to Start GPS like with bbmap.

Sorry if I am showing my lack of knowledge with this but I just started looking into the GPS issue so I need to keep looking into it more. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Sorry my mistake, can you goto Options>Advanced Options>GPS> and click the left button> Refresh GPS and it should said scaning for satelites on the screen, you should get the Latitude, Longitude, Fix time, Number of satelites, and Accuracy.
Make sure you stay outdoor.

In google map, you hit the number 0 to Go to my location.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #69
wesly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR900RR View Post
Sorry my mistake, can you goto Options>Advanced Options>GPS> and click the left button> Refresh GPS and it should said scaning for satelites on the screen, you should get the Latitude, Longitude, Fix time, Number of satelites, and Accuracy.
Make sure you stay outdoor.

In google map, you hit the number 0 to Go to my location.
Ok well I have had success all around. Wifi is now working with my home network, now I have to work out the office connectivity but I think it's going to be a problem b/c no support for 802.11x with a rolling WEP key so another hurdle.

Onto GPS bbmaps finally pinpointed my location it does flip back and forth saying Searching satellites. I flipped over to google maps and it also pinpointed my location so all in all it looks like GPS is finally working. But when I go to the Options>Advanced Options>GPS> no latitude or longitude is shown. Want to keep going to see if eventually that will show something.

It is rather strange that all of sudden wifi and gps started working. I fought with this silly bb all morning and last night and got nothing and now it's happily working along. Oh well, I guess I needed to be patient--not easy with a new BB. Next thing I want to get working is AIM but what I have read so far is the AT&T will be publishing a service book with this soon.

Last edited by wesly; 09-21-2007 at 10:10 AM..
Old 09-20-2007, 10:16 PM   #70
wiscaudi
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

How's internet browsing / email while connected to wifi? Do you see a difference?

Is it true that while connected to a wifi network, cellular calls while somehow benefit? ie, calls routed through wifi?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #71
wesly

Quote:
How's internet browsing / email while connected to wifi? Do you see a difference?

Is it true that while connected to a wifi network, cellular calls while somehow benefit? ie, calls routed through wifi?

Well unfortunately they didn't add voice to my corp demo version but yeah I saw a major change in the internet browsing while on wifi it was almost twice as fast.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #72
wiscaudi
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Excellent, thanks for the info. I read some more articles and saw that RIM hasn't done anything to actively block VoIP capabilities, and left that up to the carriers. Not surprisingly, AT&T announced the WiFi connection will only allow data at this point.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:09 AM   #73
wesly

Quote:
Excellent, thanks for the info. I read some more articles and saw that RIM hasn't done anything to actively block VoIP capabilities, and left that up to the carriers. Not surprisingly, AT&T announced the WiFi connection will only allow data at this point.
That's exactly what I read so I wasn't to concerned with ensuring that it worked. Thank you AT&T.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:45 PM   #74
Sgt_Strider

Model: None
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

What other GPS software can you use on the BB? Can you use google maps and or Windows Live Maps with BB's GPS feature?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:26 AM   #75
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Google maps, yes.

Live maps, never tried it.
Closed Thread