Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 01:06 AM   #1
okla-kid

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t
Default Help -- What have I done? -- Lost all Data

Please Login to Remove!

I am a new Blackberry user. Unfortunately, as most new users, I did not sync my Blackberry with my computer as often as I should.

I attempted to Trust a Certificate from a web site. The Blackberry blinked, showed the AT&T logo and then a gray screen with a rotating hour glass. This took a long time. Finally, I attempted to end the application using the buttons on the front panel. When the Blackberry returned, I had the AT&T theme (rather than my Blackberry theme) and all my data (contacts, memo, tasks etc.) are gone.

The status screen shows
File Free: 20661084 Bytes
File Total: 58064896 Bytes

Well folks, did I toast my data? Or is there some way for me to retrieve the data within the Blackberry or the memory card?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:13 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Welcome to BBF!

If you didn't make a backup then the data is gone. I'm not sure why the device would wipe it's data, though.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:20 AM   #3
okla-kid

Default Thanks for the reply

I was afraid of that. I guess I just have to chalk it up to a learning experience.

I do have another question. When you trust a certificate, does it usually display a gray screen with a spinning hour glass for a long time or was something wrong from the beginning of this operation?
Old 08-23-2008, 01:21 AM   #4
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Wow I have never heard of a failure like that and especially it rebooting to a "clean" OS.

Like John said No Backup the data is gone.

I would not trust the OS installed. Look in the 8300 forum for he latest OS and install it for your device.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:22 AM   #5
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla-kid View Post
I was afraid of that. I guess I just have to chalk it up to a learning experience.

I do have another question. When you trust a certificate, does it usually display a gray screen with a spinning hour glass for a long time or was something wrong from the beginning of this operation?
I have had no problems with trusting a certificate. You may get a quick hourglass but thats it.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:25 AM   #6
okla-kid

Thanks for your help. I guess it is a new rebuild on this device in the morning.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:57 AM   #7
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

I would take the oppourtunity to upgrade to 4.5 OS. This is the latest release available for your 8310 Curve 4.5.0.55:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ilanguage.html

I myself have been happy with 4.5.0.52:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ilanguage.html
Old 08-23-2008, 07:57 AM   #8
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

The moral to the story is that you should always make a data back-up and/or sync before you do something to your device. What you were doing should not have wiped your data and this is rather rare. There is alot of safety built into a Blackberry to prevent this .

Very sorry to hear this happened.

Last edited by greggebhardt; 08-23-2008 at 07:58 AM..
Old 08-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #9
okla-kid

Default Your help and advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks for all your input.

I should have known better than to do anything without first backing up the blackberry. Trying to rebuild the last few days will be a learning experience.

It will definitely teach (remind) me the importance of backups. This is a painful but recoverable situation. However, this Blackberry has lost some of its sweetness.

Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

I've been around BlackBerrys for a long time and that's the first time I've ever seen this happen from what you say you did. That being said, I recommend backing up your BB at least once a week. You can set Desktop Manager to remind you when it's time to backup.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #11
okla-kid

Thanks John. I really don't feel too good knowing that this Blackberry really did something very funky. I kind of lost confidence in this phone.

Being a little wary of technology is sometimes a good thing. We get too dependent and when it messes up it plays havoc with our lives for a time.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #12
8300guy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I've been around BlackBerrys for a long time and that's the first time I've ever seen this happen from what you say you did. That being said, I recommend backing up your BB at least once a week. You can set Desktop Manager to remind you when it's time to backup.
Backup doesn't seem to backup all the ota apps. How do you copy those cod/alx files to the PC so I'm sure I have them to reload if I lose them?
Old 08-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #13
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Look in the RIM software section here, in the Sticky Notes for John's post on how to backup your third party applications.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #14
8300guy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Look in the RIM software section here, in the Sticky Notes for John's post on how to backup your third party applications.
Thanks to you and John, I found it.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #15
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

cool
Old 08-23-2008, 05:09 PM   #16
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Like the other said I would back up very often and if your device does anything else "funky", I would be looking to get it replaced.

Loosing all of your data would tick anyone off, it the first I have heard of this.
Closed Thread