Old 06-05-2006, 09:01 PM   #21
cooperpwc
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpenner
The link I have found mentions the OS for T-mobile 8700G as being at v4.10.284 at http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=1871 . This is exactly what my device says on the About screen followed by "PLATFORM 2.0.0.120" I have little idea what platform means there. Also Telstra is listed as a carrier as well and I can't tell where to download what you are speaking of. Lot's of mention of Telstra but no download link?
Full instructions and download links here.
BTW .284 refers to the Applications version, not the Platform version. There is no universal rule but people refer to the Applications version more often. From the Blackberry homescreen press alt+num+H to see what you are running.

Last edited by cooperpwc; 06-05-2006 at 09:03 PM..
Old 06-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #22
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
The link I have found mentions the OS for T-mobile 8700G as being at v4.10.284 at http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=1871 . This is exactly what my device says on the About screen followed by "PLATFORM 2.0.0.120" I have little idea what platform means there. Also Telstra is listed as a carrier as well and I can't tell where to download what you are speaking of. Lot's of mention of Telstra but no download link?
C'mon - I gave it to you in message #7 of this thread... I put the link there.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #23
cooperpwc

Quote:
NJ, have you noticed it chewing up battery life? I suppose I will try Telstra. Is there a way to go back? Can you back-up the OS with a tool of some kind?
You can certainly downgrade your OS by downloading the lower version and installing it to Desktop Manager. You will often have to force the downgrade by selecting the Advanced option in Applications Loader and telling it to wipe the device's applications.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:14 PM   #24
trpenner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc
Full instructions and download links here.
BTW .284 refers to the Applications version, not the Platform version. There is no universal rule but people refer to the Applications version more often. From the Blackberry homescreen press alt+num+H to see what you are running.
ahhh.... now that is exactly what I was looking for... OK I press alt+num+H to see what version I am running. It looks like platform 2.0.0.120 and app version 4.10.284. What will it say when I download the Telstra mentioned in your "here" link? Do I need to have the desktop software installed before downloading? Does it use the desktop software to load the new Telstra OS?

Last edited by trpenner; 06-05-2006 at 09:19 PM..
Old 06-06-2006, 11:18 AM   #25
cooperpwc

Quote:
ahhh.... now that is exactly what I was looking for... OK I press alt+num+H to see what version I am running. It looks like platform 2.0.0.120 and app version 4.10.284. What will it say when I download the Telstra mentioned in your "here" link? Do I need to have the desktop software installed before downloading? Does it use the desktop software to load the new Telstra OS?
For Telstra, Platform will be 2.0.0.133, App Version will be 4.1.0.309.
You do not need Desktop Manager installed to download the Telstra OS installation program, but you do need it installed before you run that program. (It installs itself to Desktop Manager, and specifically to the Applications Loader. And yes, it uses the Application Loader in Desktop Manager to install itself to your 8700.)
Closed Thread