PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizom
Default pearl vs. curve vs. treo

Please Login to Remove!

Got a treo650 that is 2.5 yr old.

Use it for (in order of importance)
1. phone
2. sms
3. web/email (email when travelling, do not email pushed on every email when i am at computer, i can pull email when I am away). Also, when doing short day trips now, and don't need laptop for anything but email, don't take laptop anymore, just take treo and pull my email when i can.
4. tying to laptop to get internet on laptop on the road

vzw just introduce pearl, supposedly treo755 coming soon, curve, who knows.

What I like about treo: can add any program, though only a few i have added i really use: google maps, directory assistant ( if you haven't used this app, its really hard to explain why it's so much better than just internet lookup), like that I can look up any web address (though its slow these days on 1xevdo), have grown to like keyboard and thumb typing. like that i have a camera, both still and vid, and that i can email pictures immediately. This has saved me many times. do not use music on phone often.

I would get the vzw 88xx world phone if it weren't for the fact that it doesnt have a camera.

The curve looks like it is exactly what i want, but who knows when its going to be available, if ever.

So the question is, how does the pearl peform vs. curve/treo. I am most worried about not having full keyboard. I was playing with friends pearl, and tried to enter a - . couldn't find it on keyboard. am sure its there somehow, but its things like this. also on treo, i get real browser, and can click on hyperlinks and navigate web like it is a small computer. Can you do this on pearl or curve? The touch screen on the treo is really good for this stuff.

hoping that this forum could shed some light on how pearl would do on above tasks, or should i go wait on curve, or stick with treo.

btw, i am with vzw, no change on that. if you need to rant about how vzw doesn't get the good phones, or how the cripple them etc. go make a new thread about that.

if you think that i should also re post in the curve thread (assuming this thread will be biased to pearl maybe i should hear other curve users), chime in. I am most interested in anyone who has used both curve and pearl and has experience in both.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

The pearl will work for you but you can only get push email, so you'll get all of it whether you want to or not. If you just want to use it to go to your ISP's site and get email don't get a Blackberry of any type. It's for people who want all their email (up to 10 addresses) to come to their device all the time.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The SureType on the Pearl will probably take some time to get used to, but there are many here who can type faster on the Pearl than on the full-qwerty BlackBerries. The Pearl is awesome, though. The browser is OK on the BlackBerry, but not the best. You could install Opera Mini on the device fo a better browsing experience. Also, research for applications you think you might use to ensure the BlackBerry has them.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:26 AM   #4
NEWBIE BERRY
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T MO

I've never used the email push on my BB. I prefer to just manually check my email by going to yahoo with the browser or opera mini and just log in there.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #5
crella

Model: pearl
Carrier: at&t
Thumbs up

just replaced my treo 650 for the pearl. I got it free so I decided to give it a try. The big drawback for me is losing the touchscreen. It's amazing how addictive that can be . Other than that I've had a much easier time switching than I expected. I'd go back to palm if they came out with a smaller phone though.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
redhandeddenial
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by crella View Post
just replaced my treo 650 for the pearl. I got it free so I decided to give it a try. The big drawback for me is losing the touchscreen. It's amazing how addictive that can be . Other than that I've had a much easier time switching than I expected. I'd go back to palm if they came out with a smaller phone though.
i doubt that ever happening

i had a treo and wanted nothing more than to burn it

i want the pearl soo freaking bad its not fair, damn vzw employee site hasnt gotten it yet
Old 11-09-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
bb-mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

I dropped my 650 for a pearl over a year ago and could not be happier. It's superior in so many ways.

To specifically address your needs:

1) It's a great phone - it completely trumps the 650. The ear piece and headset volume is much clearer and louder.

2) SMS works - but I do miss the threaded sms text messages my treo had. Blackberry attempts to do that - but it's pretty weak compared to the treo. However Blackberry messenger is far superior to the SMS texts of the Treo. Of course this only works if all your other friends are on Blackberries.

3) Web and e-mail works great. E-mail is what BB is built around.

4) I have not personally tethered to a laptop - but I understand it works.

On the typing. I was worried at first to. But the suretype actually works brilliantly. It just takes a little getting used to. Also one thing people don't often point out is that while a key shares two letters, each key is about TWICE the size of the Treo keys.

You will also appreciate having a much slimmer phone. The Treo is still such a beast to put in your pocket.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
Palm2BB
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile

I'll second that motion!

One more thing - the Treo would reset on me every time it dropped or even bumped into something. Not so with the Pearl. It is a solid piece of equipment!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:56 PM   #9
TheBigNewt

A guy I know said you can't turn the Treo off without pulling the battery. I told him there had to be a way (airplane mode?), he said he couldn't do it.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:37 AM   #10
bb-mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
A guy I know said you can't turn the Treo off without pulling the battery. I told him there had to be a way (airplane mode?), he said he couldn't do it.
That's not true. You just have to hold the red "end call" key down for a couple of seconds. That will turn the radio off.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
jnyost
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

I haven't had a treo since my 600 but I love my new pearl. I moved to the 7130 then the 8830 and now the 8130. So far the 8130 is my favorite. I loved the 8830 and had it as my favorite until now. I love the size of the pearl and the fact that it added a camera. I slightly miss the larger screen and the full qwerty keyboard.

I really don't find much fault in the browser. I've downloaded OperaMini but really prefer the default browser.

The phone is exceptional if you ask me. My 7130 was probably one of the best phones I've ever had. The clarity on the new BBs rock. I haven't had anything to complain about since the 7250.

You won't miss the touch screen. I thought I would, and I probably did for a while, but you quickly forget its not there. The new track balls are even better than the old scroll wheel. It makes everything pretty quick.

Jared
Old 11-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #12
Girion
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: T of Guinness plz

I'm right there with Jared. I loved the 7130 and upgraded to the 8830 from Verizon, but when the Pearl came I couldn't wait for it. The form factor is a winner, and having the camera, bluetooth stereo support, and suretype (at which I am MUCH faster than full QWERTY) make this quite simply the best Blackberry (or phone) I've ever owned. Hands down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
I haven't had a treo since my 600 but I love my new pearl. I moved to the 7130 then the 8830 and now the 8130. So far the 8130 is my favorite. I loved the 8830 and had it as my favorite until now. I love the size of the pearl and the fact that it added a camera. I slightly miss the larger screen and the full qwerty keyboard.

I really don't find much fault in the browser. I've downloaded OperaMini but really prefer the default browser.

The phone is exceptional if you ask me. My 7130 was probably one of the best phones I've ever had. The clarity on the new BBs rock. I haven't had anything to complain about since the 7250.

You won't miss the touch screen. I thought I would, and I probably did for a while, but you quickly forget its not there. The new track balls are even better than the old scroll wheel. It makes everything pretty quick.

Jared

"For pretty things that serve no use, the true art finds its tether.
To those who know illumination comes wickless in the nether."
Old 11-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #13
thejay0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb-mike View Post
That's not true. You just have to hold the red "end call" key down for a couple of seconds. That will turn the radio off.
Pressing END key will turn off the radio but NOT the TREO itself. I never understood why there was no OFF button on my 700w.

Anyway, I just replaced 700w with 8130 3 days ago and I can NOT say anything bad about PEARL. I wouldn't switch back to TREO which felt like a damn brick but I do miss touch-screen.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #14
caroach

Carrier: at&t

I like the text messaging much better on the treo. I also like the calendar better on the treo. Those are the only things about the treo I liked better though. I thought I would miss the touch screen, but I had to clean it constantly or carry in a case that would cover the screen when I didn't need it. This just made the phone even more bulky. Battery life and phone clarity seem much better on the Pearl.

I still have my treo and keep it as a backup if something happened to my pearl, but short of the pearl breaking I won't go back.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #15
Doix

PIN: Just Ask :)
Carrier: Sprint

I now have the Treo 650 with Sprint…and waiting to pick up the Pearl once it is released in 2 weeks. I cannot wait. The size and quality is what I’m really looking forward to. I bet for the first 2 weeks, I’ll hate the fact that it does not have a touch screen…and the SureType, but once I get use to it, I’m sure it’ll be the best thing ever created.

I stopped by a VZW store yesterday to screw around with the Pearl, and loved it. The more I play around with it, the more I want it right now. I cannot wait to have a phone that is small again, and that does MORE than the Treo. With the GPS Sprint give you…it’ll come in handy. Also, with Sprints consumer BB Plan, I will be paying the same a month.

I will always love my Treo…but I have a strong feeling that once I get my hands on my Pearl, I’ll never go back to anything else other than a Blackberry.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #16
TheBigNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejay0 View Post
Pressing END key will turn off the radio but NOT the TREO itself. I never understood why there was no OFF button on my 700w.
That's what the dude said, and he knew a lot about it. He said it was wierd, but you better take out the battery when you fly cross country or it'll be about dead 5 hours later.