Old 11-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
jc01108
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default BES sync on two computers

Please Login to Remove!

Sync Question: Is there a way to have the calendar info on two computers that are not tied into the same exchange server?

I am a port from a Treo 700w and the active sync world. I used a hosted exchange server to wirelessly sync calendar, contacts, email, tasks.

But I also had a second computer not connected to the exchange server that I synced calendar and tasks with, only, using a wired connection!

Now, I want to duplicate this situation with the Blackberry 8830we.

Is there any way to have BES running and sync a separate computer's outlook 2003 calendar info to my Blackberry using the desktop software?

If not, can I turn off wireless connectivity for the calendar only and not for email, contacts, etc?

Or is there another way to accomplish the same result?
Old 11-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Welcome to the forums.

You can do this, but you would need to temporarily disable wireless synchcronization for the items you want to sync while synching with the computer that has Outlook NOT connected to a BES. Then, once that is done, you can turn wireless synchronization back on.

Last edited by jeremyckitching; 11-13-2007 at 05:22 PM..
Old 11-13-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
jc01108
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

That sounds like a pain to me. Interesting that you can do that with Exchange but not with BES. Any other options?

I gather that unlike Exchange and activesync that BB wants you to stay in the same system for syncing; that the concept of crossing over to sync with another computer outside of the closed system is not permitted. Much more security conscious. I gather that BIS is for the consumer, BES is for the Enterprise. They may want to add some flexibility as more MS mobile folks make the crossover to BB.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc01108 View Post
That sounds like a pain to me. Interesting that you can do that with Exchange but not with BES. Any other options?

I gather that unlike Exchange and activesync that BB wants you to stay in the same system for syncing; that the concept of crossing over to sync with another computer outside of the closed system is not permitted. Much more security conscious. I gather that BIS is for the consumer, BES is for the Enterprise. They may want to add some flexibility as more MS mobile folks make the crossover to BB.
If you're on BIS, you can do it because calendar is sync thru the wire.

BES is a different matter, and yes security has a lot to do with it. If RIM gave the option to do both BES wireless and stand-alone wired sync, customers would demand that be controllable thru IT policy and most admins would disable it.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
kgn1224
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

If you disable the wireless sync functionality and use the DM to sync to the 2nd computer, will the new items from the 2nd PC be added when you re-enable the wireless sync of BES?

Personal: http://twitter.com/RhinoForce
Closed Thread