BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 10:07 AM   #1
sunman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
PIN: 232D7878
Carrier: Bell
Default Sources for Blackberry applications?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all, I am looking for some sources for Blackberry application software, and I also have some questions for the more experienced users among you.

I am a new BB user, and have seen a few sites offering different software applications, but all of them have cost, are there any freeware applications (gaming or productivity) available for the BB? And if so, where would I find them?

And also, if I do purchase a program, is it possible to install it on more than 1 BB, or would I have to purchase each separately? I am looking for a good Hold em game, to pass the time. I have not installed any 3rd party applications as of yet, my BB is stock from Roger's.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunman
Hi all, I am looking for some sources for Blackberry application software, and I also have some questions for the more experienced users among you.

At the moment there's not a tone of stuff out there but rimroad.com and handigo.com are good places to start.

I am a new BB user, and have seen a few sites offering different software applications, but all of them have cost, are there any freeware applications (gaming or productivity) available for the BB? And if so, where would I find them?

Check out the sponsors section of the forum, Magmic www.magmic.com offer some excellent games, Dynoplex has an excellent productivity suite and Mark Rejhon has an excellent thread covering allot of your questions: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=3851

And also, if I do purchase a program, is it possible to install it on more than 1 BB, or would I have to purchase each separately? I am looking for a good Hold em game, to pass the time. I have not installed any 3rd party applications as of yet, my BB is stock from Roger's.

The shareware and freeware is hit and miss depending on the app most of the commercial apps are registered to the device PIN or IMEI so no in that case.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:40 AM   #3
dhm001

Model: 7290

Most applications you have to pay for, but often have a 30 day trial. I highly recommend the 30 day trial because 90% BB applications I have installed I eventually uninstalled. Lot of crap out there; also, make sure you do a good backup before you install any application. This may seem obvious, but I assure you I have installed many applications where the only final solution was to rebuild the BB from backup.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:34 PM   #4
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

i second that, always try before you buy and make sure you are going to use the app. I love Mahjong and bought the game before trying. The tiles are so small I can't tell one from the other. Wasted $5...
Old 06-22-2005, 07:34 AM   #5
dhm001

Model: 7290
Talking

I installed an application that started scheduling events in my calendar. Hundreds of them it was making me crazy. I eventually uninstalled it, but it synced up with my Outlook calendar so they were there too. I ended up having to delete all of them by hand. Lucky I had unlimited web access or that would have cost me sum bucks.
Closed Thread