Old 01-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
Hondo Lady
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: 24303C88
Carrier: T Mobile
Default Solved! Dropped Calls Going from UMA to Edge

Please Login to Remove!

This has been a big problem for me. In order to solve other issues with my WiFi service at home, I purchased a Tmo Linksys Router (its free after rebate) and hooked it up to my Verizon Fios modem/router at home in order to set up a separate wireless network to use only with my phone. The signal was greatly improved, but other issues ensued. In talking to the Tmo tech guy, he asked whether I had changed the default setting on the Tmo router (SSID name,etc) I said yes. He asked me to reset the router and go back to all the default settings to see if it would help with my dropped calls from UMA to Edge. I did that, and viola! Problem solved. Nothing drops in the transition---either way. Originally, I used the default WEP security on the router, but now have gone back to WPA, still using the default SSID name, and still no dropped calls. Tech person told me that they really encourage you NOT to change the default SSID name on their router, as the phone is constantly looking for that network, even when you are connected to a different named network. Not sure why this has worked, but thought it might help someone who was having same difficulty I was.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Is the default name, "@Home"? Never occurred to me that it would make a difference. I'm going to try changing my non-tmobile router to that and see if it makes any difference.

Edit: Oh, I guess I wouldn't know what the password should be.

Last edited by monkeypaw; 01-23-2008 at 03:08 PM..
Old 01-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Hondo Lady
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 24303C88
Carrier: T Mobile

The default on mine reads: @Home9762
Not sure what your password would be Did you change it from the default one?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Changing the SSID should make no difference whatsoever. You should be able to name it whatever you want. The only thing preprogrammed on the device is the @Home network for hotspots. Your @Home9762 is just an added profile like any other network. The problem will arise if you hit another router with the same network name (ssid) and the password is different. If you try to add it, it will say you already have that network setup and then it'll change the settings to the new network. Then when you go back to yours you'll have to set it up all over again. I've had this trouble when I had my ssid set to "Linksys." When I hit another Linksys ssid it wouldn't connect without deleting the first "Linksys." Router manufacturers always suggest that you change your ssid to something besides the default.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
sgtcasey

Carrier: T-Mobile

Strange about the SSID. If I had a T-Mobile branded router and bad cell coverage at home I'd test it out. I wonder what other settings might have been reset to default other than the SSID.

Either way, I'm glad it's working for you!

Dave
Old 01-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
monkeypaw

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Changing the SSID should make no difference whatsoever. You should be able to name it whatever you want. The only thing preprogrammed on the device is the @Home network for hotspots. Your @Home9762 is just an added profile like any other network. The problem will arise if you hit another router with the same network name (ssid) and the password is different. If you try to add it, it will say you already have that network setup and then it'll change the settings to the new network. Then when you go back to yours you'll have to set it up all over again. I've had this trouble when I had my ssid set to "Linksys." When I hit another Linksys ssid it wouldn't connect without deleting the first "Linksys." Router manufacturers always suggest that you change your ssid to something besides the default.
Yeah, by changing my linksys SSID to "@home", my thinking was that there was some kind of built in priority for that. Such that it gives improved performance as for the OP.

But I don't think the @home password can be changed (if there is one) so unless I could guess it, I couldn't try changing my router's SSID. Other than going no password.

My linksys with dd-wrt seems to only have problems when the network has problems, so it'd just be to try it out.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

That's correct. You can't edit or view anything in the @Home profile in the Wifi Options.

My Linksys with dd-wrt works great, as well. At my in-laws I set up a WRT54GS and I get great UMA service with that router (oem firmware,) as well.
Closed Thread