Gryz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Data Plan Change

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I was wondering what I have to do to change my data plan. Can I do it throught the BIS site, or do I have to call my carrier?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

You need to call the carrier for that.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Getup1995
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

You need to call Verizon.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Gryz

Thank you!

I am going to disable my data plan for the time being, for I will be abroad and will not be needing to access the internet or email on my phone while overseas.

Can I still use apps like google maps and BBweather though?

Last edited by Gryz; 02-11-2008 at 04:33 PM..
Old 02-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
Gryz

Well after reading, I have found out that verizon requires me to have a data plan.

I have he $30 plan...is this as cheap as it goes?
Old 02-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
Demon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 304fcd63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
Well after reading, I have found out that verizon requires me to have a data plan.

I have he $30 plan...is this as cheap as it goes?
You can get the $24.99 10mb plan, however for only $5 more you can have unlimited. If you need help changing it over send me a PM and I can get it changed over for you.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
Gryz

Thank you!

Do you think that the 10mb plan will be enough to just check my email? I do not usually reply from my BB either...
Old 02-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
Thank you!

I am going to disable my data plan for the time being, for I will be abroad and will not be needing to access the internet or email on my phone while overseas.

Can I still use apps like google maps and BBweather though?
your 8130 wont even work overseas at all.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
Gryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
your 8130 wont even work overseas at all.
Yes, I have just found that out also. So, what are my choices? I will be over there for 4 months, but still want to keep my BB at home here in the states.

If I can't disable my data plan, should I just do the 10 mb plan?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
PDM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wouldn't you still be paying roaming charges; as well (i.e. overseas)?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #11
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

you will save a total of about $20 by changing your data plan over that 4 month period. To me, it doesnt seem worth it to do that, but again that is just my opinion. You can leave your BB here, and just when you come back pick up right where you left off without having to call anyone to change the plan back.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #12
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM View Post
Wouldn't you still be paying roaming charges; as well (i.e. overseas)?
8130 cannot roam on GSM. it doesnt have the capability.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
Gryz

Well aside from being abroad, I do not feel that I get my moneys worth out of my $30 plan. I rarely access the internet and only check my email.

I would be completely fine with no data plan, but then I guess I wouldn't be using a BB for what a BB is for.

If this is the case, what are my options...I have only have the phone for a month, is it still returnable?
Old 02-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #14
Getup1995
Thumbs Must Hurt

Call Verizon, when I went out of the country for an extended period they allowed me to turn off my phone and pay a small fee per month. However, they also added the three months that I had it turned off to the end of my contract. I did not plan to leave them so I was okay with it. They call it a vacation suspension of something like that.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #15
Gryz

What about if I plan not to keep the plan even when I get back?
Old 02-14-2008, 02:06 AM   #16
mizditz101
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhne

I've talked to verizon at length quite a bit.. *sadly* When I was thinking of renewing my contract and getting a pearl with them...

As far as I know, I could be wrong.
but as long as you have a blackberry. you HAVE to have the blackberry $30 plan. This is at least the impression I was under when I was talking to them vs. T-Mobile for my phone.

You see where I went ;) T-Mobile doesn't require such a plan to use a blackberry (I have it, but its $10 cheaper here anyway)

LUCKILY - Thanks to the wonderful congress, they have drastically changed what verizon can and cannot do. Getup1995 said they added the 3 months to the end of their contract, as far as the last I think couple months, they cannot extend your contract for this.

If you want to leave verizon entirely, you can cancel your contract, for ~$150. They kinda screw you on options though really.

What I have learned though with Verizon... My 2 year contract, became a 4 year contract, and they suck your money (and time) from you. Maybe I'm a little bitter towards them, but their plans are not worth what you pay.. at all. Sure there's a slight better coverage across the US/Globe.. But when it comes down to it, do I need that extra 20min of service driving to Arizona, at the expense of $70? I think not.

Call them/Go in to your local store and see your options. Because you are going overseas, you may be able to knock down your plan.. or get angry enough at them that they give in ;). Be sure to let us know what happens though! (At least I am interested!)
Old 02-14-2008, 03:16 AM   #17
Getup1995
Thumbs Must Hurt

Called Verizon today. They still offer a vacation suspension; and yes they still add the numbers of days you request the suspension to then end of your contract.

They are not extending the contract, I am. I requested that my phone be disconnected so that I will not have to pay for the three months that I spend overseas. Plus they are helping me out: I can't use my phone and they did not charge me a monthly service fee and I did not have to cancel my contract. However, because they are allowing me to suspend payment and modify my contract it is only fair that they add those days/months to my contract.

Congress did nothing to inhibit this type of transaction.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #18
Gryz

Thank you all for your help.

I will definitely go into verizon sometime soon.

What made me really upset was that the verizon store I went to told me I was on a pay-as-you-go plan. I thought that this was what I was on until I went in again the next day to pick up my car charger. After asking some questions and having him pull up my info, I was on a $44.. plan. He apologized and dropped it down to the $30 unlimited plan, still saying I could still pay as I went if I chose to. I said no, that I would give it a try for a month.

Now I have learned that I am required to keep this plan as long as I have this phone. If I would have known this, I would not have bought it.

I just don't know where to go from here.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #19
mizditz101
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhne

Lol, I'm not exactly sure what my grandma did to their customer service rep then..

I just went over to tmobile about 2 weeks ago. My grandma had called and canceled my dad's # so that he could transfer it over to his new phone, and then hassled them into bumping my plan down to that 700min plan..
I'm not sure what was said, but I guess if congress didn't change anything other than the fees for early termination (I got that part confirmed), my grandma did just the right amount of yelling about my contract continuously getting extended that they didn't this time
Which only confirms my idea that just the right mean tone, ya get just about anything lol (with the right rep of course)
Old 02-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #20
quan

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile
Default Leave Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getup1995 View Post
Called Verizon today. They still offer a vacation suspension; and yes they still add the numbers of days you request the suspension to then end of your contract.

They are not extending the contract, I am. I requested that my phone be disconnected so that I will not have to pay for the three months that I spend overseas. Plus they are helping me out: I can't use my phone and they did not charge me a monthly service fee and I did not have to cancel my contract. However, because they are allowing me to suspend payment and modify my contract it is only fair that they add those days/months to my contract.

Congress did nothing to inhibit this type of transaction.
Verizon will nickle and dime you to dead. Their CDM phone would not work most of the world. What you need to do is switch to ATT or Tmobile. They are GSM and will work around the world. Tmobile does not try to be cute with you with all sort of rates. I used to have Verizon but I could not stand their way of doing business so I dropped them and paid the penalty to switch to TMobile and am happy since then. I would never deal with Verizon whether it is cell or land line.
Closed Thread