BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
fetuscakemix

Model: Bold
PIN: 256AAA9E
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Best case/phone protector for 8130?

Please Login to Remove!

I want to keep my 8130 in great shape. Can anybody make me any suggestions as to which cases or protectors offer the best protection for the phone? I'm not so much looking for belt clips or anything like that, as I prefer to keep my phone in my pocket. I always worry that it's going to pop out of its holster.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Where can I get a screen protector? - BlackBerryFAQ

Cases-- the OEM ones are great, if Sprint does not have them for the 8130, get one from ATT or TMo retail store in your area.

Alternatively, look here for our Sponsors, Siedo or Fortte cases, very good ones.
BlackBerryForums.com Sponsors - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community
Old 05-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
TTexas

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A

For protection and functionality, I'd recommend: BlackBerry Pearl 8120/8130 Series Defender Case // OtterBox.com
Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
NightFlight

Model: 8100

That case above is ridiculous!!!

$50 for a case is a bit too much IMHO.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

And that is why we all have opinions and ... well we all know.

Obviously they are not too much for those who purchase them.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Get the oem RIM BB leather pocket. The black one is like $10 from other retailers like ebay, the newer brown ones are about $25. I've used mine for over a year, my wife loves hers. I have the pebbled brown one. That nice thing is it protects the entire phone, keys and screen included. No other case does that. No geeky beltclip knob or screw hole sticking out. Sure, you have to pull it out of the case to use it/answer it but so what? It won't come off, you can't break it, don't need screen protection, and it shuts off the screen when you put it away. Looks like a wallet!

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 05-07-2008 at 08:29 PM..
Old 05-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
JNHohol
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Ridiculous definitely is subjective. Price depends on how badly you want your 8130 to be protected.

I have had the Invisibleshield on my phone since I bought it, and on my old 8100. It was just under $50 to have it installed at one of there retailers, but it is covered for as long as the company stays around, and the installer will fix it if it ever bubbles or peels for free.

It is a thin film that is put almost over the whole phone and protects the screen, sides, and back from scratching. It hasn't bubbled or peeled since I got it in Jan. 08. I keep my 8130 in my pocket, in my cup holder, at the bottom of my locker, and I haven't had any problems.

It is nice not having to worry about the screen getting scratched and the fact that you really can't tell that the film is even on the phone. I like small, I tried a jelly cover, but it was bulky. It is not great for drop protection, although my girlfriend knocked my it out of my hand on to concrete and it hit the corner where the film was and it held up very well.

If you do get it installed at a retailer, which I recommend so that if it gets screwed up they can fix it, just make sure that there are no bubbles, dirt, or dust on the screen. Turn it on and look for any flaws. Bubbles don't go away, the milkiness will.

I really like the stuff and I wouldn't use anything else.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
sarmstrong806

Carrier: Sprint

For $10 this one is worth a shot.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #9
convergent

Carrier: sprint

I got the best skins ever skin and it's amazing. their customer support is top notch and if you have problems with your skin they will almost always send you a replacement. I had a problem two times because I butchered the process of putting it on, and they sent me 3 haha.

And for the price tag compared to invisible shield, id say its worth it.

best way to protect if you wanna go cheap is a screen protector from bestskins ever and the case linked above.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:15 PM   #10
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
PIN: S AND NEEDLES
Carrier: VZW

I have the rubberized seidio case with holster. Its bomb proof and looks good. It is in the 50 range with both, but my 8130 is 10/10 even after being dropped a couple of times.

it all depends on how anal, obsessed you are about a scratch free 8130.

As for the cost, its definitely to each his own. I protect the stuff I own. It is why I wear a helmet. If you have a 10$ head, a 10$ helmet will do.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:57 AM   #11
schurchill39

Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNHohol View Post
Ridiculous definitely is subjective. Price depends on how badly you want your 8130 to be protected.

I have had the Invisibleshield on my phone since I bought it, and on my old 8100. It was just under $50 to have it installed at one of there retailers, but it is covered for as long as the company stays around, and the installer will fix it if it ever bubbles or peels for free.

It is a thin film that is put almost over the whole phone and protects the screen, sides, and back from scratching. It hasn't bubbled or peeled since I got it in Jan. 08. I keep my 8130 in my pocket, in my cup holder, at the bottom of my locker, and I haven't had any problems.

It is nice not having to worry about the screen getting scratched and the fact that you really can't tell that the film is even on the phone. I like small, I tried a jelly cover, but it was bulky. It is not great for drop protection, although my girlfriend knocked my it out of my hand on to concrete and it hit the corner where the film was and it held up very well.

If you do get it installed at a retailer, which I recommend so that if it gets screwed up they can fix it, just make sure that there are no bubbles, dirt, or dust on the screen. Turn it on and look for any flaws. Bubbles don't go away, the milkiness will.

I really like the stuff and I wouldn't use anything else.
I also have the invisible shield and they are an amazing product. I have had my phone in my pocket with my keys while running and it still looks like new!
Old 05-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
webz

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
best way to protect if you wanna go cheap is a screen protector from bestskins ever and the case linked above. (the OEM rubber skin)
i'm doing the same
Old 05-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #13
convergent

Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by webz View Post
i'm doing the same
its cheap and it works perfectly. i dropped my phone today and it landed on the face, the only way you could have noticed is that there was a little sand stuff from the pavement on the skin which was easily brushed off.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #14
snbd889
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120c
Carrier: AT&T

invisible shield . com

its like having a case for your phone without having an ugly case on your phone.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #15
ctyler86

I second the invisibleSHIELD- I got a nick on my screen the first day I had it! Lucky for me their corporate headquarters are about 5 minutes away from my apartment in Salt Lake City, UT and I had them professionally install it for me, looks flawless and is hardly noticeable.

The one thing that sold me on them was the lifetime replacement guarantee.. I've had it on my phone for about 3 months now, and no flaws.. but if I do scratch the protector they say they will replace it for free. Pretty classy IMHO.

I would check Fatwallet or something to find a discount code as it did cost me 24.95, but well worth it.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:07 AM   #16
gmgarman

I definately agree with the invisible shield. As far as dropping the phone it won't help.... but what case really will. It was a pain to put on, but once on, it keeps my phone looking prime!
Closed Thread