BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
graelb

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Default Personal Blackberry and BES server

Please Login to Remove!

So, I just bought a BB 8330, and i've got my emails set up with the verizon BIS, and i've even got my email coming from work through the OWA, but I can get on the BES server, but i'm worried that they will have access to block all of my text messaging and any of the other features that i pay for through verizon... Does anyone know exactly how this works?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeypants View Post
I believe that in most instances where someone activates their personal device on BES they will be subject to the same rules as all company issued devices. So if they normally block SMS and other features you will be blocked from it as well.

It's best to ask your BES admin to get the facts.
I think this is ALL INSTANCES, and yes, ask your BES Admin.

The other advice that is often given is that you shouldn't mix business and personal life, and that is largely true. Inference -- don't get on the BES with a personal device. I'd resolve that by looking at the type of company that employs you and what your general relationships with management are like.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
legacyb4
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Yup, if it's activated on BES, you are subject to whatever policies are applied to your BB by the BES server.

I have 2 policies on my BES; one for company-owned devices and another for personal devices that are used for work reasons (I require at a minimum password policy and data encryption) but that's my workplace.

YMMV.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by graelb View Post
So, I just bought a BB 8330, and i've got my emails set up with the verizon BIS, and i've even got my email coming from work through the OWA, but I can get on the BES server, but i'm worried that they will have access to block all of my text messaging and any of the other features that i pay for through verizon... Does anyone know exactly how this works?
It may not work at all. In some territories/with some Operators, the BES service is charged to the user at a higher monthly rate than the BIS service (as I think RIM certainly used to charge more to the Operator for BES connected devices than BIS connected devices). So I would also check with your operator too.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

You do need a BES data plan in order to connect to a BES.

Quote:
I can get on the BES server, but i'm worried that they will have access to block all of my text messaging and any of the other features that i pay for through verizon... Does anyone know exactly how this works?
They can. As for whether they do or not you'll need to ask your BES admin. One of the points of BES is granular device management. Each company can define its own IT policies. There's no way that any of us can tell you what your company does and does not restrict on its BES.

I'd acutally recommend keeping all personal stuff off of a company BES-connected BB. Unless you're willing to share it with your company, keep it off their BES.

Last edited by takeshi; 07-16-2008 at 10:48 AM..
Old 07-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
graelb

Beautiful.
Thank you guys, you're all very quick to respond, and answered my question nicely, I'll just keep it through the OWA. Does anyone know of a way to set the BIS up to poll for new emails quicker than every 15 min then? It's handy to have it just when I'm not at the computer, but i definitely see the wisdom in keeping it separate.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Does anyone know of a way to set the BIS up to poll for new emails quicker than every 15 min then?
You can't alter the BIS polling interval. It's a preset polling-scheme set up by RIM.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #8
graelb

Bummer, Worth a shot! =)
Thanks guys
Closed Thread