BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
blicket

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW
Lightbulb Nice BB UI

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone know and care to share how some of these apps create the UI? Specifically the cool looking UIs I have in mind like yahoo go, miutunes, opera mini, or even gmail, gtalk, viigo. The default UI library in BB doesn't leave many options for designers. The default option menu is an ever long scroll list. If anyone who have experience working with third party UI please share. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
CELITE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: Rogers

Most 3rd party developers create their own UI libraries based off the existing blackberry framework. What specific kinds of information are you looking for?
Old 07-28-2008, 12:31 AM   #3
baran_khan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Airtel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blicket View Post
Does anyone know and care to share how some of these apps create the UI? Specifically the cool looking UIs I have in mind like yahoo go, miutunes, opera mini, or even gmail, gtalk, viigo. The default UI library in BB doesn't leave many options for designers. The default option menu is an ever long scroll list. If anyone who have experience working with third party UI please share. Thanks.
I worked on this application where the requirement was to have a custom look and Feel as the client was not pleased with the default look and feel provided by blackberry. CELITE is right, the companies use there own UI library. You have to create ur own based on what sort of theme you are looking for. Everything can be customized from the layout to a button...

Another one is the J2ME polish. I tried my hand on that as well. But didn't had a great experience by using that...don't know if someone else is impressed with that but J2ME polish with blackberry is not an option for me....
Old 07-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
blicket

I'm just getting a lay of the land. I'm still a n00b, mostly creating text interfaces, plain vanilla buttons. I need to learn how to make these cool UIs.

And where does plazmic content development kit (PCDk), play into ui development or does it? It appears to be just a SVGs creator. Do people create UIs, navs, and layouts with this? It doesn't appear to support scripting like flash so not sure how it could be programmed.

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:42 AM   #5
pwaugh
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

Just pick up a basic book on Java programming and start there by learning SWING which is similar to what you can do on a Blackberry. Then, it's just a matter of OO programming whatever you can imagine.

Plazmic is for end users to develop themes, and has nothing to do with CLDC development.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:15 AM   #6
blicket

@pwaugh

I'm sorry i have not idea what you're talking about. I have worked with swing and it's pretty damn ugly. swing components are possibly the ugliest things on earth. Unless there's something extra you can do to prettify them which I guess I'm missin.

ahh yes..the answer to all my problems 'a basic book on Java' and one that can teach me 'OO'. ...hmm..yea. i doubt polymorphisms, encapsulation, inheritance concepts would help in the area rendering glass jelly buttons. I hope NOT everyone's expected to write an entire graphic rendering ENGINE when all they wanted was to create one single screen app with nicely styled buttons.

if i'm missing something please clarify by what you meant. I would really appreciate it. THanks.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:00 AM   #7
baran_khan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: Airtel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blicket View Post
@pwaugh

I'm sorry i have not idea what you're talking about. I have worked with swing and it's pretty damn ugly. swing components are possibly the ugliest things on earth. Unless there's something extra you can do to prettify them which I guess I'm missin.

ahh yes..the answer to all my problems 'a basic book on Java' and one that can teach me 'OO'. ...hmm..yea. i doubt polymorphisms, encapsulation, inheritance concepts would help in the area rendering glass jelly buttons. I hope NOT everyone's expected to write an entire graphic rendering ENGINE when all they wanted was to create one single screen app with nicely styled buttons.

if i'm missing something please clarify by what you meant. I would really appreciate it. THanks.
well, as I said earlier making things customized means we need to override existing layouts and button fields. Its very much close to writing your own GUI engine, that will generate nice GUI elements for the application.

Even in Swing, I guess we can do the same, all we need is the realization of the thing that we actually want, Java's job is to provide features to us and rest depends on us on how we can mold it as per our requirements...I hope I am not too wrong in quoting the things...I am fairly new in both Java and Blackberry and just like you very much curious in discussing things....
Old 08-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
sajika
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

May be somebody need to create a nice UI library for Blackberry. Shouldn’t be that hard. We are ready to pay for it(if reasonably priced) .

Like everyone else, we had to build our own but it is very specific to our application. For example, here is a little ImageButton we created ( having an image button solves half teh look-and-feel problems)

Code:
public class ImageButton extends BitmapField
{
    private static final Bitmap focusOverlayBitmap = Bitmap.getBitmapResource("overlay.png");

String name;
    String title;
    ImageButtonListener eventListener;
    boolean hasFocus = false;

public ImageButton(String name, String title, String imageName)
    {
        super(focusOverlayBitmap,Field.FOCUSABLE);
        Bitmap bitmap = Bitmap.getBitmapResource(imageName);
        setBitmap(bitmap);
        this.name = name;
        this.title = title;
    }

public ImageButton(String name, String title)
    {
        this(name, title,name + ".png");
    }

protected void onFocus(int direction)
    {
        hasFocus = true;
        invalidate();
    }

protected void onUnfocus()
    {
        hasFocus = false;
        invalidate();
    }

protected void paint(Graphics graphics)
    {
        super.paint(graphics);
        if (hasFocus)
        {
            graphics.drawBitmap(0, 0, focusOverlayBitmap .getWidth(), focusOverlayBitmap .getHeight(), focusOverlayBitmap , 0, 0);
        }
    }

protected boolean navigationClick(int i, int i1)
    {
        if (eventListener==null) return false;
        return eventListener.imageButtonClicked(this);
    }

public String getName()
    {
        return name;
    }

public String getTitle()
    {
        return title;
    }

public ImageButtonListener getEventListener()
    {
        return eventListener;
    }

public void setEventListener(ImageButtonListener eventListener)
    {
        this.eventListener = eventListener;
        this.setFocusListener(eventListener);
    }
}
Old 09-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
blicket

Thank you.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:41 AM   #10
sunnan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: vodafone

hi guys,
i came to see an app Innovative Mobile Softwares For Business and Individuals - The D-Studio DexMobile...and iam so suprised to see an custom menubar...anybody have idea of getting this please share with us..

Last edited by sunnan; 09-18-2008 at 08:44 AM..
Closed Thread