Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T
Default Really odd Domino BES behaviour

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all

Odd problem I am having with one user - here goes:

We have a R7.0.3 Domino BES 4.1.6
I have a user on a R6.5.x server who cannot synch PAB OTA.

Checked his account on BB Manager, and his address book reference is listing his mailfile! Each time I try to update the "address book" data, the errors below show in server console:

11/09/2008 17:04:45 PIM Config, State=1, UserConfigID=43, DisplayName="Jones, Bob" for user CN=Bob Jones/OU=USA/O=Org
11/09/2008 17:04:45 Address Book, config, Location="CN=Server1/O=Org!!Address\bj_names.nsf" SyncType=3 SyncState=1 for user CN=Bob Jones/OU=USA/O=Org
11/09/2008 17:04:45 Address Book, config, using iNotes database CN=Server1/O=Org!!mail\bjones.nsf for user CN=Bob Jones/OU=USA/O=Org
11/09/2008 17:04:45 {CN=Bob Jones/OU=USA/O=Org} PIM location cannot be changed for roaming/iNotes users while registry key PrepopulatePIMForiNotesUsers is set or absent
11/09/2008 17:04:47 PIM Config, State=1, UserConfigID=43, DisplayName="Jones, Bob" for user CN=Bob Jones/OU=USA/O=Org
11/09/2008 17:04:47 Address Book, config, Location="CN=Server1/O=Org!!mail\bjones.nsf" SyncType=3 SyncState=1 for user CN=Bob Jones/OU=USA/O=Org
11/09/2008 17:04:47 Address Book, config, using iNotes database CN=Server1/O=Org!!mail\bjones.nsf for user CN=Bob Jones/OU=USA/O=Org

The odd thing is, the user is NOT a roaming user OR an iNotes user.

Am stumped - any ideas?!!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

p.s. I have checked (and replaced) the design on the user's PAB and mailfile, both using standard (non-inotes) templates. Checked Domino Directory, user is not listed as a roamer!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

OK, so this is how it goes...

* I logged this with RIM on Sept 11, via email
* I received a ticket number, and then no further communications
* I emailed t-support again on 19th Sept, asking for Status
* Someone wrote to me the next day, asking for:
1) Has the user's mail template been modified or customized?
2) How is the user synchronizing his Address Book to the server?
3) Can you provide a screenshot of the Design Tab located in the Database Properties of the user's mail file?
4) Can you provide us a screenshot of the users PIN Sync settings for Address Book, specifically the Location Server and relative path?
* I sent them all the info (i.e. standard non-inotes template on mail, Standard replica (i.e. not roaming user), with scheduled replication enabled on the notes client, screenshots)
* Someone from RIM wrote back, telling me "you are putting the wrong path into the Address Book section under PIM synch settings
* They then emailed me that the task was resolved
* I wrote back saying READ THE ORIGINAL TASK EMAIL, I know how to change PIM Sync values, but BES is overriding them, and asking htem to open the task again
* No reply at all
* Called RIM today, sat on hold for 20 minutes
* Spoke to someone who was totally confused, so he transferred me to the server team
* Sat on hold for another 50 minutes
* Finally got through to someone who knew the issue (he raised the fix request with RIM)
* He wanted to send me a registry fix, but his managers were like "Oh, get her to check the mailfile design" despite the fact I sent them a screenshot of it days ago.
* Still on the phone to RIM, and I am LOSING THE WILL TO LIVE
Old 09-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

OK, just been sent this by RIM

KB15595 - Cannot edit the 'location - relative path' of the address book under the user's PIM Sync settings.
BlackBerry Search Results

Turns out I did not have reg key. Created it and set to 0, to get this user working

That will, however, stop my roaming users from having their settings picked up (we are migrating to roaming, but only 50% there)

Am STILL on phone, pushing RIM to log this as a fault.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
MikeB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: BELL

Hi,
Just wanna be sure i understand correctly:
The PAB is replicated on the server and you wanna change the PIM Sync setting but you can't because it's greyed out? or even if you can, the server override it with mail file location?
Am i correct?
Old 09-24-2008, 03:25 AM   #6
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

It's not greyed out, the server just changes it back.
RIM gave me a registry key to add, which has stopped the behaviour for now. It also has the effect that when I add roaming users to BES, none of their PIM Sync data is populated, but right now that is better than things just not working.

After a long time on the phone, I got through to an excellent guy in server support, who sent me the workaround and is escalating this as a bug...
Old 09-24-2008, 03:44 AM   #7
boma0021
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have seen this problem since version 4. We have usually also have the users address book on the server. If the user enabled the iNotes feature and sync his contacts to the mail the BES automatically overwrite the PIM settings with the mail file location.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:48 AM   #8
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

That's the thing though, iNotes not enabled for this user, not is roaming. As such, RIM escalating as bug.
He worked fine up till BEs upgraded to 4.1.6, then one user on a BES of 40 developed this issue...
Old 09-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
TheCount

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Appear to have found an ugly but functional workaround

Thanks all for your details on this issue, helped me out greatly when this came to light in our environment today.

Trying to figure this out I've found out where BES is picking up the iNotes/Roaming setting - if there is a profile document present in the mailbox called "inotesprofile".

That profile gets created if anyone ever uses the Action - Synchronize Address Book agent in the mailbox. There might be other ways for that profile to get created, but that's the one I'm running into in my environment.

So the workaround I've found is to delete that profile, remove the user from BES and then re-add them.

What would be better, but I haven't been able to identify yet, is just to find out where BES saves the information that a given user is iNotes/Roaming so it can be modified without having to delete the user. If anyone runs that down, please post to this thread.

In case you're not familiar with removing profiles, here's some LotusScript you can drop into an agent to delete the profile, just remember you have to add the agent to the mailbox you're targeting, not your own, and that the profile will get recreated if anyone runs the Synchronize address book agent

Sub Initialize
Dim s As New notessession
Set db = s.CurrentDatabase
Set doc = db.getprofiledocument("inotesprofile")
If Not doc.isnewnote Then Call doc.remove(True)

End Sub

Last edited by TheCount; 10-01-2008 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: corrected spelling and small improvement to sample code
Closed Thread