Old 10-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
kady05
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question Problems with Roxio Media Manager

Please Login to Remove!

Today I tried to add ringtones to my phone, and when I opened up the Desktop Manager, and clicked on Media Manager, the attached error popped up, and I could not open it.

I'm wondering if I caused this, because a couple months back, I was cleaning out my computer, and desk, and I uninstalled a Media Manager program, and threw away my Roxio disk thinking it was an old program that I didn't use anymore.

However, from what I've read, it doesn't sound like you actually need a disk inserted to run Roxio, is that true? Plus, the error isn't saying 'Insert disk', so I'm thinking that isn't the problem.

I have the 4.3 version of the DM (the newer version wouldn't let me upgrade my phone, so I had to downgrade), and made sure to choose the one with the media manager when I downloaded it. There isn't anything on my computer's Add/Remove programs list that's called 'Media Manager' or anything with 'Roxio' in it, but I do have a folder on my start menu that says 'Media Manager 9' with all the Roxio stuff in it. So I think it IS installed on my computer, but obviously something isn't working right.

So is there any way to fix it? Or any other program I can use to easily transfer mp3 files & photos to my phone? I'm not an expert here, so simple is better. I can follow directions though Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	13306  

Last edited by kady05; 10-06-2008 at 05:00 PM..
Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
ejmccartin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900

The DM has been a pain since they got in bed with Roxio. Just my opinion.

The easiest way to move files around for me is with windows explorer. Plug in your BB and find the card as a removable drive then move the files you want to the card in the music, picture or video folder depending on what they are.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
kady05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmccartin View Post
The DM has been a pain since they got in bed with Roxio. Just my opinion.

The easiest way to move files around for me is with windows explorer. Plug in your BB and find the card as a removable drive then move the files you want to the card in the music, picture or video folder depending on what they are.

Good luck!
Yeah, I never had an issue with it before I uninstalled everything.. but I don't think that's the problem since I have the 4.3 DM installed 'with' the Media Manager.

When I plug in my BB, it comes up under the Removable Disk [G:] drive. The only way I know this is because the G drive isn't there any other time. When I try to click on the drive to explore it or whatever, it tells me to insert a disk. If I go to it through My Computer, and right click and check the Properties, then Hardware, the BB does show up as being there. I tried earlier to drag a file to the G drive to see if it'd work (didn't think it would but figured it wouldn't hurt), and it didn't. So, I'm not sure what to do!
Old 10-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

For drag and drop to work, and for the media card to be visible in Windows, you have to enable Mass Media mode. Otherwise you will see the drive, but it will tell you nothing is connected.

Roxio should work either way.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
daphne

The Runtime Error maybe related to the old version of Desktop Manager and/or Roxio not being completely uninstalled. Somewhere here there's instructions for clean uninstall of Media Manager.

Edit:
Here's the instructions.

BlackBerry Search Results

Last edited by daphne; 10-06-2008 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: found it!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
kady05

Alright, well I plugged it in this morning (after turning mass media mode on, not sure why it was off!), and got it to work through the drag & drop method.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #7
ejmccartin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
For drag and drop to work, and for the media card to be visible in Windows, you have to enable Mass Media mode. Otherwise you will see the drive, but it will tell you nothing is connected.

Roxio should work either way.
Thanks Daphne, I should have mentioned the mass media mode.

And Roxio should work, you are very right. I've just always had problems with it.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
daphne

Quote:
Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
Alright, well I plugged it in this morning (after turning mass media mode on, not sure why it was off!), and got it to work through the drag & drop method.
Glad you got it working. In Options > Media Card, you can set Mass Storage Support to On. For Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected, mine is set to Prompt.

If you have Mass Media on while your BlackBerry is connected via USB, you can't play music, videos, or view pictures.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
authentic8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Glad you got it working. In Options > Media Card, you can set Mass Storage Support to On. For Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected, mine is set to Prompt.

If you have Mass Media on while your BlackBerry is connected via USB, you can't play music, videos, or view pictures.
I know this has been discussed before but why can't I see my 8100 when I follow all of these instructions to the letter? My Roxio Media Manager or whatever it is, won't work either and setting Mass Storage Support to ON and Prompt and Media Card Support On does nothing. It seems that only certain 8100s have this problem and everyone else has NO IDEA what we are talking about.

p.s. My old Media Manager worked just fine.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
Naima

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

(bump)
Old 11-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
piratekender

Carrier: Alltel

I'm having this problem as well, but I want to put a couple of video files onto my Blackberry. In my experience, they often won't play on it unless you convert them through the Media Manager. (I already tried dropping and dragging them, sometimes that works, but they won't play and they're compatible files with the pearl)

I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version of the software (with Media Manager), but media manager doesn't even give me the option to run it, so I'm going to try the clean uninstall and reinstalling again (and downloading a fresh file, it's possible that it didn't download the entire installer, which has happened to me before).

I'm waiting for the download to finish now, and hoping it works.

Unfortunately, I have to run out and do something now, but I'll let everyone know if this does happen to work. (I know that a previous version of the desktop software did work just fine, which is what really annoys me.)
Old 11-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #12
piratekender

Carrier: Alltel

Alright, it seems to have worked just fine, thanks for the link and the easy-to-find discussion on it ^^

I've been trying to get this to work for days
Closed Thread