Old 10-13-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
Kamau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
PIN: 21499CE8
Carrier: Verizon, T-Mobile
Default T Mobile vs. Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I'm looking for some general thoughts & opinions on the two carriers. I'm thinking about switching from TMO to Verizon, but nothing definite right now. One of the things I'd like to know is if their VCast is available on the BB. I'm also wondering if their network is any faster than TMO's, and if it's dependable (i.e. lots of interruptions in service).
As for what plan I'm looking for, that would be little actual minutes, but unlimited data for text, email, web surfing and the such. Right now, I have a 300 minute plan with unlimited data. I would also probably be stepping up from the Pearl, but to what I'm not sure yet though the Bold has caught my eye.

Kamau
Old 10-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Kamau
CrackBerry Addict

Sorry.
I just glanced a few threads down and saw something as to what I was looking for.
Feel free to comment if you'd like though. Also mods, if you feel this thread is repetitive, then by all means, close or remove it.
Again, sorry.

Kamau
Old 10-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

The network is faster (EVDO > EDGE, overall).

Yes, on VCast... Verizon launches m.VCast.Com, streaming video site | BlackBerryNews.com

However, you need test the VZW signal where you will be using the device, at work and home. If VZW doens't have the better signal there, I am sure you won't like it.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

VZW

Its the network. : -)

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Yea! Just look around for all the people and technicians standing around, you'll know you'll have a good signal.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Verizon will not be carrying the Bold, anytime soon at least. Maybe you meant the Storm has caught your eye?
Old 10-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
dhendriksen
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530

I recently ported my number from T-Mobile to Verizon. I had T-Mobile for 14 years (back in the Voicestream days) and I have almost completely forgotten about them. Verizon service is awesome, the data is quicker, but most importantly is the service is awesome. I never lose calls anymore, and that is what was most important to me. Versus T-Mobile it is a little spendy, but well worth the extra cash.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #8
Kamau
CrackBerry Addict

Thanks fore all the input.
I really don't mind spending a bit more money as long as I'm getting what I want. I also was talking about the Storm, thanks for clearing that up.
I checked the coverage map, and it looks like I'd be pretty much set there. I actually seldom use my BB at work, but us it "For" work everyplace else. But where I work, the nearest tower is only a quarter mile away (if that far). I think I'd be set there as well as coverage.
I'm mainly trying to see if switching to them would give me increased speed on the network. I also would hate to switch, and get worse CS, as TMO has been great for me in that area.

Kamau
Old 10-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamau View Post
I also was talking about the Storm, thanks for clearing that up. I checked the coverage map, and it looks like I'd be pretty much set there. I also would hate to switch, and get worse CS, as TMO has been great for me in that area.
I have a used all the major carriers. What I've found is the best way to choose a carrier is to pick the one that has the best signal strength and coverage in the area you will be using it. I would caution you about the "coverage maps" as those are only a guideline and far from accurate. Each carrier has a trial period, the best way to tell is to actually try out the service. After all your BlackBerry is only as good as the signal it has to work with. Each carrier has good areas and weak areas. So the claim "it's the network" is great advertising but is meaningless if you have marginal or no coverage in your area. I cannot use Verizon even though in "most" of the areas I travel within the city coverage is fine. It's dead at my house, and ironically at my office as well. Thus "the network" is useless for me. Finally I have two lines, one with AT&T and one with T-Mobile and there is a noticeable difference in those two even though the coverage maps show them as identically strong in my area. One is indeed strong, the other is marginal at best. And as luck would have it, it's weak at my home. So for whatever it's worth, you might be sure by using the trial period so as to not get surprised after you bought into it.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
kjjb0204

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Verizon all the way. In New England, Tmo coverage is horrible. It's all about coverage.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #11
Kamau
CrackBerry Addict

Thanks for the insight archer6. I will be taking a trial period if I decide to actually switch.
TMO does have good coverage in my area, and that has always been a plus. It's just that I'd like to have something a little faster than EDGE, not to mention something that gives me a bit more options when it comes to media (VCast).

Kamau
Old 10-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #12
archer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamau View Post
Thanks for the insight archer6. I will be taking a trial period if I decide to actually switch.
TMO does have good coverage in my area, and that has always been a plus. It's just that I'd like to have something a little faster than EDGE, not to mention something that gives me a bit more options when it comes to media (VCast).
I find that T-Mo has super customer service. Also I've had great experience with coverage as well. I would not be surprised to see T-Mobile get the 3G Bold soon after the AT&T exclusive expires. That seems to be the trend between the two of them. T-Mobile got the first exclusive on the Pearl, then right after it went to AT&T, so perhaps once the Bold exclusive expires it will go to T-Mobile. Even though they are on a different 3G frequency, I believe RIM will have a Bold ready to go to T-Mobile. It appears that they have plans to offer that model across the spectrum of carriers, like the Curve and 88xx are today.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #13
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyD'souza View Post
Pros: Best coverage area and reception.
Regardless of what anyone says, confirm coverage first hand where you need it.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #14
archer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Regardless of what anyone says, confirm coverage first hand where you need it.
I could not agree more. Coverage is everything.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #15
txstuntman

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: suncom

I had the 8300 and had decent coverage at the house until t-mobile bought out suncom and stopped using the at&t tower.I then had to go outside to use my cellphone.I called t-mobile to complain and was given 3 options.1-just wait will have new towers up in 4-6 months.2-pay $ 400.00 for 2 8320 phones.3- go to someone else.I picked option 3 and went to verizon.I can use my phone in the house and every where i go.You will pay more at verizon but you have better coverage, better customer support,better company.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:52 AM   #16
BBIS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

My Philosophy on Verizon vs. T-Mobile is, Verizon is super expensive but you get signal in lots of places, T-Mobile is cheap but you dont get signal everywhere. But why do you need signal everywhere? I am fine getting it at my house, on the streets I normally drive on an at work.. I dont care if Its a dead zone in the Laundry room or a hotel room, you can always walk outside
Old 01-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #17
brainmaps

Model: 9000
Carrier: att

I've had t-mobile for the past 2 yrs and have never felt so ripped off in my life! Talk about overcharging for texting or going over your minutes. My basic phone package with them, which included only basic phone service plus texting, came out to more than $100 per month. $100/month for basic phone service with texting!!! It's absolutely ridiculous. Plus, the reception is usually crappy and coverage is weak. I don't remember how many times I've lost calls, but it's several times a week. On many occasions, I wouldn't receive a text message until more than 36 hrs after it was sent! This is completely unacceptable. I read a post above saying that t-mobile's customer service is good. Are you serious?! They're only helpful if you agree to extend your contract, which I would never do; otherwise, they give you the run-around, or they'll say that they'll put their supervisor on the phone and then keep you on hold indefinitely. I've switched to ATT and will never use t-mobile again, ever. I would recommend strongly to others that they stay far away from t-mobile unless you wannabe a sucker and get ripped off.

Last edited by brainmaps; 01-12-2009 at 01:46 PM..
Old 01-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #18
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainmaps View Post
I've had t-mobile for the past 2 yrs and have never felt so ripped off in my life! Talk about overcharging for texting or going over your minutes. My basic phone package with them, which included only basic phone service plus texting, came out to more than $100 per month. $100/month for basic phone service with texting!!! It's absolutely ridiculous. Plus, the reception is usually crappy and coverage is weak. I don't remember how many times I've lost calls, but it's several times a week. On many occasions, I wouldn't receive a text message until more than 36 hrs after it was sent! This is completely unacceptable. I read a post above saying that t-mobile's customer service is good. Are you serious?! They're only helpful if you agree to extend your contract, which I would never do; otherwise, they give you the run-around, or they'll say that they'll put their supervisor on the phone and then keep you on hold indefinitely. I've switched to ATT and will never use t-mobile again, ever. I would recommend strongly to others that they stay far away from t-mobile unless you wannabe a sucker and get ripped off.
Why did you feel the need to bump this thread with your silliness?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #19
brainmaps

Model: 9000
Carrier: att

because i feel somewhat obligated to steer people away from t-mobile so that they don't experience the atrocious service that I experienced with them. Would definitely recommend going with verizon or att instead.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainmaps View Post
because i feel somewhat obligated to steer people away from t-mobile so that they don't experience the atrocious service that I experienced with them. Would definitely recommend going with verizon or att instead.
Why? It's only your personal opinion, and a lot of people don't share it. You made broad generalizations, and probably didn't tell us the whole story (i.e., you live in a fringe area or something). Further, since it was your first post, most people aren't going to listen to you. I have had T-Mobile for 8 years, travelled all around the country (inlcuding many BFE places) and the world, and I can count the number of times on one hand that I've had real service issues.

So please, do us all a favor and don't try to pass your opinions off as the gospel or bump old threads to bash the big pink T just because YOU had a bad experience.

Last edited by dc/dc; 01-13-2009 at 12:22 PM..
Closed Thread