BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Bodie14

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Please help: Laid off yesterday/Need to move address book to new device or computer

Please Login to Remove!

Thank you for taking a moment to help me. I was with my firm since 1999 in the financial services industry and have all my family/ friends contacts on my Blackberry (which is great).

I do not know allot about transferring this data and neither does my service provider.

Here are the details:
I have a Blackberry 8820

It is or was logged into a Blackberry Mainframe at my work

It had access to a VPN which I am now unable to access.

I have Bluetooth access on the Blackberry but it doesn't give me the option to "Transfer Address Book" to my IMac. However it does give me the option to "Transfer Address Book" to my Bluetooth ear piece but it does not have any storage.

I went to my service provider and they have a machine that will transfer the address book, however only one telephone number per contact will transfer. It will not transfer address, email, cell, home ect.

I spoke with my IT department from my old employer and he said it's possible and told me he couldn't help but to post something here. It sounds like it could be a setting on my unit.

Thank You Very Much
Old 11-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (8320 Titanium)

It is your personal unit that was on your employers BES??? If so, since you no longer work there you should be able to take off any IT policy they had that may be blocking your access to transfer via BT.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
rontiu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT Wireless

Not sure if I am of any help..

1. I have a mac at home and a PC at work. I use Entourage at home on my mac. So I can easily sync with my Entourage and BB using pocket mac. You can set up pocket mac as a bi-directional sync or one way...which you may wanna do...if you have new
device down the road, you can easily sync back to a blackberry for example.

2. If you have a PC, you can use desktop to "back up your " your files...within the files there is the address book which contains all your address book info on your bb.
You can easily ..if you have a new BB, move over that address book "only" into your new device..by exporting that file out to your "new" blackberry..as it is a selective restore.

If you are talking about information stored on the "Simcard" itself you maybe out of luck...I think...unless you export simcard info on to the phone book/address book first and then sync to whatever.

Hope this makes sense...if you can get a hold of a PC with the desktop installed, you can even back up your BB to a memory stick..and later extract from that memory stick your address/contact..
Old 11-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Are the contacts still on your BB? If so you can download the BB Desktop Manager from RIM and install in on a PC. Then you can first backup the device. You can then sync the device with Outlook.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
Bodie14

Thanks for the info. I was actually a company owned Blackberry. Any other suggestions.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Sorry to hear about the layoff. Take a look at this link, you can google for others too. Basically, backup your device, or, use one of your old backups from desktop manager and get a program to extract data. I've never used this so good luck.

Extract Messages, Contacts, Calendar, Memos, and Tasks From Your BlackBerry Backup | BerryReview.com »

Regards-Michael G.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
Bodie14

Yes, the contacts are still on my Blackberry. Can I download the BB Desktop manager from RIM and install on a MAC rather than a PC?

I only have a MAC at home. My old work computer was a PC. Also I do not have Outlook on my MAC and we had a completely different system on the work PC
Old 11-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
drakkenkorin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Unfortunately, BM does not work on the Mac platform.

Your only options are either PocketMac (as previously mentioned) or MissingSync.

I have tried PocketMac and could never get it to find my BB. I've yet to try MissingSync.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Since you use a MAC, might want to check the MAC section for help

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Closed Thread