Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Go Mobile
Default Bold unable to stream from ORB/Flycast over 3G

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

Just got my new bold 2 days ago & have to say ime impressed

Everything works great. Only thing I haven't been able to do so far is access my audio & video files running on orb & flycast over a 3G connection. Over Wifi it works great but when I try to initiate any type of streaming using either the diffirent BB browsers it just comes up with a prompt to switch to WAP. This doesnt work either.

After looking up this issue in the manual its cause is that I have some incorrect browser settings but I messed around with them & nothing seems to work even setting the APN to blackberry.net as instructed by my service provider.

I never tried to do this with both 3G & Wifi turned on since I dont really see the point plus if ime at home it will automatically revert to my wifi network.

This seems to be the same issue people are having when trying to access youtube ey?

Any known fixes for this? Tried battery pulls, deleting wap service books, turned off the prompt to switch to WAP etc but nothing works. Seems kinda pointless to have a 3G phone which is unable to stream media every now & then.

Thanks for your help

(ps. Tried with Opera browser but page rendering was unusable plus considering Flycast too won't stream its not a specific browser issue I guess)

Last edited by gian; 01-18-2009 at 08:02 AM..
Old 01-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8310; RammerJammer!)

Yoi must use the APN for your carrier.
And then in Flycast you can set your preference for 3G.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
gian

No go...downgraded to the .210 OS but still the issue remained. After loading the new OS I managed to stream via Wifi but after trying to stream 3G and failing I can't even stream trough wifi. The same thing happened on the .216 OS. (Didnt mention it in my previous post because i hadn't tried it before assuming it would work considering it work initially. Is there a setting being changed perhaps when trying to stream via 3G?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
yomi

Carrier: Indosat Matrix

agree with Sanders.
at first my flycast did not work either, and I tried to I set APN to my carrier's APN, and everything works well ever since. Fly cast streaming rocks.
Good luck.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
masonfoley
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Wirelessly posted (8310; RammerJammer!)

Yoi must use the APN for your carrier.
And then in Flycast you can set your preference for 3G.
Here are my settings under "OPTIONS | Advanced Options | TCP", does this look correct?

APN: wap.cingular
Username for APN: [email address]
Password for APN: *********

I have no idea what the password is. I didn't set this. I'm guessing this is set up by AT&T when the phone is provisioned and has persisted through my OS upgrade from .167 to .185.

In other words, this appears to be default settings. Correct in your guesstimation or is there something else this should be set to?

Forgot to add that Flycast and YouTube appear to work for me however, I've never really used either outside of my house so I haven't really had a chance to observe Flycast / YouTube "out in the wild".

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. No Nation could preserve it's freedom in the midst of continual warfare." -- James Madison.

Last edited by masonfoley; 01-19-2009 at 02:27 PM..
Old 01-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
gian

With regards to the APN setting I set it to blackberry.net as instructed my my carrier but still no luck. Their reply to my query was that this was a carrier or rather RIM limitation in some way and that they are working on making this feature available in the near future. Don't know what to think really! Guess I can live without it but would be kinda nice :P
Closed Thread