BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
kipp438

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: alltel
Default Bluetooth + 8130 + laptop = Now what?

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, so I bit on one of those "slickdeals" a few weeks ago on a bluetooth usb dongle for my laptop (which did not have it built in). It was like $2 shipped and I figured the thing wouldn't even work. Well I got it yesterday, and what do you know, Vista recognized it, loaded the drivers and it was up and running in 10 seconds. (Go Vista! Right?) Since I didn't even think that far ahead, now I had to figure out what I was going to use this for. The only thing I could come up with is my pearl also had Bluetooth. I tried to pair them. Whadayaknow, it worked! Actually they recognized each other no problem, but computer wants drivers from the pearl. I assume they are on the cd that came with my pearl, and that is at my office at work, so I have to wait till Monday.

So now I'm sitting here, wondering what I can actually do with my new found technology. I thought about asking on a laptop or Vista forum, but since I am a lurker here, and you guys are always so knowledgeable and helpful, I thought I would try here first.

What can I do with this? Get my pics from my phone to my laptop? Back up phone #'s? Can I tether it via bluetooth for internet access when away from home? If not through my Alltel (Verizon) service, how about through a dialup service? Anything else?

Sorry, maybe these are dumb questions! But thanks in advance for all the help!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
PIN: Pulled - 1, 2, 3 run!
Carrier: AT&T

I am not sure what brand B/T you are using but make sure on the Vista Bluetooth dialog box (right-click the icon and then click on Show Bluetooth Devices in the dialogue menu) click on the "option" tab and make sure the "Discovery" checkbox is checked.

Do not worry about the dialogue box saying you need drivers. Just xlose those out.

Now just let one device search for the other and allow the appropriate permissions as they find each other.

Once connected you can transfer media files to your SD Card or files from you BB to you PC. Additionally you can do a backup via B/T.

initial connection may be glitchy and you may have to reboot both the PC and the phone. Once started back up, you may receive the driver dialogue boxes again. Just close those out and re-establish your B/T connections.

I love it - especially for just transferring a ring tone or new background image real quick.

Hope this works - I am running Vista with the 8310 utilizing a Rocketfish 2.1 flush mount Bluetooth adapter.

David

Twitter
Old 02-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
GeekInTraining

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel

I do all that you mentioned! I run Vista and tether my Pearl for my only internet connection to Alltel. Right now I am using a regular dongle but have a mini one on the way! I can't wait!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (8320 Titanium)

When the bb is paired to the bt on the pc does the sd card show up as a drive letter on the pc, like when the usb cable is used???