Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
cmh2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT
Default 3 months into my 2 year contract

Please Login to Remove!

I have had a BB since December. Formerly I had the T-Mobile Dash which is a Windows Mobile phone, and I have had mostly Windows Mobile phones prior to that. This was my first foray into the Blackberry world.

I wanted to try a BB this time becuase of frequent phone crashes and having to re-boot the thing alot. I had the perception that the BB phones were more stable.

Main Issues:

1. My BB crashes just as often as my old phone. I have to pull the battery like once every couple of days.
2. The email keeps all of my messages. Even if I delete them in my Microsoft Exchange server, they stay on my hand held for two weeks. Why can't my handheld mirror my Inbox?
3. My Dash would complete words I was typing, in most cases if I typed the first three or four letters I could select which word I was typing from a list. There seems to be no option like that on this BB.
4. With my Bluetooth headset, my Dash would announce incoming calls and messages. Without pulling out my BB and looking at the screen, I don't know who is calling. Not exactly hands free.
5. There seems to be a miniscule amount of free memory in my 8320 for installing 3rd party apps.
6. There doesn't seem to be an option to have the display remain on when the unit is plugged into external power.
7. How come I can't listen to music while the BB is plugged into my computer?
8. How come I can't look at pictures and listen to music at the same time?
9. How come there is no File Explorer where I can see the files on the BB from within the handheld?

On the upside:
1. The trackball is fantastic.
2. Surfing the web is more enjoyable with the virtual mouse pointer.
3. My phone is red.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
littleman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att

Wirelessly posted

Number 8, on my 8310 I can look at picks and listen to music. I use the back button after a song starts to play.
And number 9 go to you media and use the menue button and explore. Hope this helps
Old 02-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
kingston73
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: Tmobile

I too switched from the Dash to the Curve, so some of these things I can understand. My curve can't get sirius radio like my dash used to, but overall I've found it to be much more stable and quicker than the Dash. I can't imagine why your curve would be crashing. I don't use Microsoft exchange, but for gmail my blackberry is much easier to use, same for sending pictures and texting. I'd maybe try updating the OS to the newest version to see if that helps with the stability issue.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
ProfoundGlee

Model: 8110
Carrier: AT&T

3. My Dash would complete words I was typing, in most cases if I typed the first three or four letters I could select which word I was typing from a list. There seems to be no option like that on this BB.
There is O_o; It's under options when you're like putting messages in. I forgot what it's called.

6. There doesn't seem to be an option to have the display remain on when the unit is plugged into external power.

Well it shuts off automatically, but it should be able to be on and used when connected to power.

You could go crazy and change the backlight thing every time.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh2001 View Post
1. My BB crashes just as often as my old phone. I have to pull the battery like once every couple of days.

Have you done the memory optimization per John Clark's protocol? (Look in his signature block on any message or the stickies at the top of the General forum.) Makes a difference. What OS are you on?

2. The email keeps all of my messages. Even if I delete them in my Microsoft Exchange server, they stay on my hand held for two weeks. Why can't my handheld mirror my Inbox?

Are you on BES or BIS? If BES, it should sync, if BIS, it doesn't.

5. There seems to be a miniscule amount of free memory in my 8320 for installing 3rd party apps.

See response to #1. Or upgrade to the 8900. It is awesome and much more memory.

On the upside:

3. My phone is red.

LOL, But the AT&T Crimson is a nicer red than the TMO sunset. (I used the AT&T 8310 on TMO until I got my 8900.)
Responses embedded above.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
cmh2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

I'm on BES.

Thanks for the input. I like my BB for the most part there is just some things that drive me crazy. I wish I could have test drove the different BB models prior to jumping in.

The email not sync'ing is one of the worst things. I end up with 200 emails in my BB, most of the them I've already dealt with and shouldn't need to think about again.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

If you are on BES, not sure why the email is not synching. You may want to talk to your system admin.

I have two BBs, work one on BES and personal on BIS. The one on BES synchs almost instantly (within a few seconds). I can sit at my desk and delete on the the server and watch it disappear from the BB or vice versa so I know it works. The only ones it doesn't work with are if I move messages form the server to folders on my desktop pst file, then they don't disappear from the BB unless I delete them manually.

Last edited by TXLady; 02-14-2009 at 11:34 AM..
Closed Thread