Old 02-13-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
geeksquad1516
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Question about T-Mobile Phone

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, I'm geeksquad1516, and I'm just getting into the Blackberry scene.

I used to be into the Windows Mobile thing, with two phones, but it was getting tiresome. Getting all of the settings right was a pain and upgrading the phone's OS was a 20-step process. It seemed like Windows Mobile phones were destined to be a burden on society.

I have my sights on a used BlackBerry Curve 8320. My question is:
Is there any difference whatsoever between an AT&T 8320 with the downloadable OS that you have on this forum or an unlocked T-Mobile 8320 running the same OS off this website, if I am an AT&T customer?

I look forward to buying my BlackBerry and seeing you all soon.

P.S. If I buy a locked T-Mobile Blackberry, can I call their customer support and get it unlocked without being an actual customer?
Old 02-14-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

The OS is the same as long as it is for the correct model number.

No. You can't get an unlock code from a carrier with which you do not have an account. You will need to pay a third party company for an unlock code.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
sjsilverman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile & China Mobile

An 8320 is an 8320, no matter which carrier it is with, and you can update any carrier's blackberry with any OS, as long as it is for the appropriate model (i.e. you can't put an OS for a 9530 on an 8320).

As for an unlock code, a carrier will not give you an unlock code unless you are a customer. You would have to go with a 3rd party. There are plenty of these services, and they are not that expensive.

Why go with a used model? With all the carriers trying to move their 8320 stock out to make room for newer BB's, new 8320's can be gotten for a steal.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
geeksquad1516

Ok, I understand, but will there be a difference between the AT&T phone and the T-Mobile phone with the new OS? I just don't want Wireless@Home and MyFaves hanging around on my Blackberry like a dead goose. My money is tight, and I only really need a phone with a qwerty keyboard, wifi, and that can sync my calendar.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Having the software for @Home and MyFaves on your BlackBerry won't create extra service charges-you have to sign up for those services with T-Mobile, and have packages added to your account for that. So, as long as you specify that you don't want these services, you should be fine dollar wise.

However, if you simply don't want a lot of extraneous apps using memory in your BlackBerry, follow these steps:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html
Old 02-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
geeksquad1516

When I upgrade the OS, will MyFaves and Wireless@Home still be there?
Old 02-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Model: PRIV
Carrier: Rogers

Everything will still be there (It should) Carriers can have it so that they load apps directly to your phone.

Here in Canada Rogers pushes a bunch of apps I dont want like Facebook, Flickr, Yahoo Messenger and I have no choice but to keep them.

I can wipe my phone, install a base OS and as soon as it connects to the network, it downloads those apps.

So you should hev no issue, plus when you do a OS install you usually do a data and software backup during the porcess. This will save everything installed on the phone.

I bought an unlocked, unsecured T-Mobile 8320 from a friend at RIM last year. I''m very happy with it :D He had to remove reporting tools like Quincy and some other internal software that is used when he realised they were still installed... my phone was sending reports to RIM.... oops!
Old 02-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
geeksquad1516

Sending reports to RIM? What's that?
Old 02-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Ah, sorry for the confusion... My phone came directly from RIM. It was made for T-Mobile but used internally by a RIM employee, so the device was unlocked (could be used on any carrier) and unsecured, so it had internal testing and reporting tools on it some of them would send reports to RIM because it was logging everything I was doing.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
geeksquad1516

Wait, I've been reading some forums and something came up. If I don't get a data plan, and just use my BB 8320 on an AT&T $9.99 Family Plan Phone Line, can I still access my gmail account with the wifi either through the webmail interface on the browser or through the BB's email app? Can someone explain this convoluted BB email thing?
Old 02-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeksquad1516 View Post
Wait, I've been reading some forums and something came up. If I don't get a data plan, and just use my BB 8320 on an AT&T $9.99 Family Plan Phone Line, can I still access my gmail account with the wifi either through the webmail interface on the browser or through the BB's email app? Can someone explain this convoluted BB email thing?
As far as Data plans and WiFi are concerned. The WiFi will always work for your browser (at least it should)

There is the WAP browser, this only works with a data connection.
Then there is the blackberry browser, you must change it's setting to HotSpot and it will use WiFi.

Some WiFi services still use a data connection so they will not work even though they primarily use WiFi.

I highly suggest a browser such as Opera Mini. This can be set to use only WiFi and will work even if you have no data plan.

My phone was cut off because I missed a bill payment and although I had no phone/data service, I would still use WiFi.

All you need is a SIM card in the phone, it doesnt even have to have a phone number on it, and WiFi will work.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
geeksquad1516

What is Push Mail? What are my email options if I have GMail and I don't want a data plan? I.E. I/m at a hotel, I'm on their WiFi, and I want to access my gmail account (preferably through the BB's native email app. How do I do it?
Old 02-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

As far as that is concerned, I can't help you much there. From my experience you need to use a web browser and access gmail through wi-fi.

The BB e-mail app is specifically designed for data plans, you usually register and set up e-mail addresses with your provider, and their system pulls the e-mails onto your phone through the data network.

Hopefully someone else can confirm this
Old 02-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #14
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeksquad1516 View Post
What is Push Mail? What are my email options if I have GMail and I don't want a data plan? I.E. I/m at a hotel, I'm on their WiFi, and I want to access my gmail account (preferably through the BB's native email app. How do I do it?
Some applications can use a wifi connection to receive data without a data plan. So you can use a 3rd party browser to get internet service and of course check Gmail on the internet. Opera Mini is a good browser. You just need to make sure the TCP setting is correct.

What are the TCP and APN settings? - BlackBerryFAQ

I think the Gmail app can use wifi as well. You will not be able to use the Blackberry Email service. But if the Gmail app works, it will pull new emails as it can.

Check this long thread for things you can do:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...-can-t-do.html
Closed Thread