Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
InGearX
No longer Registered.

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Question long SMS

Please Login to Remove!

I am using BB 8703e v. 4.2.1.106 on Verizon and would love to send a long SMS - you type as much as you want and then the device breaks them down into 160 char each and send them...

I am able to do it on other Verizon phones but not on BB 8703e :(

Maybe there is some update or some option or some feature to address this?

Maybe there is even a software that could do that - like in contacts you would select "send long SMS" type your message and it would break it down?
Old 02-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGearX View Post
I am using BB 8703e v. 4.2.1.106 on Verizon and would love to send a long SMS - you type as much as you want and then the device breaks them down into 160 char each and send them...

I am able to do it on other Verizon phones but not on BB 8703e :(

Maybe there is some update or some option or some feature to address this?

Maybe there is even a software that could do that - like in contacts you would select "send long SMS" type your message and it would break it down?
Send message as MMS instead...
Old 02-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
autoprime
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint

there still must be a fix for this. my friends tmobile curve is able to send a text past the 180 limit.. yet my curve on sprint is not able to. this is not a limitation of sprint or the phone.. so there must be a fix.

id love to try to fix this.. just not sure how to go about it. if someone can point me in the right direction.. i'll take over from there.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Dougsg38p
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

There is no real fix, IMHO. There is a 160-character limit on SMS - this is baked in to the protocol. Some of the networks support an SMS with multipl segments, some don't. Some versions of BB OS support this feature, others don't.

Even if you have a phone that does support multi-segment SMS, your message will often show up as multiple separate SMS messages if you cross platforms (example: T-Mobile to AT&T).

I learned all of this the hard way trying to implement "Send v-card via SMS" on the BlackBerry platform. Just about every v-card exceeds the limit.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
InGearX
No longer Registered.

thank you
Old 02-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

I would like this on my 8330 as well. I just use email/MMS if I need to send a longer message.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
CO_BBTechie

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoprime View Post
there still must be a fix for this. my friends tmobile curve is able to send a text past the 180 limit.. yet my curve on sprint is not able to. this is not a limitation of sprint or the phone.. so there must be a fix.
Not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that it's not a device or carrier limitation. What else could it possibly be? Those are the only two components in the equation. It is in fact, a carrier-imposed limitation.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
autoprime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
Not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that it's not a device or carrier limitation. What else could it possibly be? Those are the only two components in the equation. It is in fact, a carrier-imposed limitation.
because the curve on tmobile is able to type texts longer than 160 characters.. and yes.. it splits them up when sending.. but still on your end you can just type away. so the curve hardware itself can support such a thing.

also.. on the sprint side of things.. i have quite a few phones that allow the 160+ typing.. and then the network splits them. so the network itself can handle this.

it comes down to a firmware limitation on sprint.. or perhaps all CDMA BB's... so then at some point.. an app/code/hack of some sort could get this possible working... if the right person was on the job.

Last edited by autoprime; 02-25-2009 at 08:02 PM..
Old 02-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

You do realize that there are different model curves, right? The 8300, 8310, 8320 and 8330. The 8330 is the only CDMA curve, the rest are GSM.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
autoprime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
You do realize that there are different model curves, right? The 8300, 8310, 8320 and 8330. The 8330 is the only CDMA curve, the rest are GSM.
correct.

but do you really think the HARDWARE itself somehow isnt able to produce this? or that it comes down to firmware limitations...

i truly believe its a general CDMA firmware issue that the carriers all agreed to have put into effect. if its a matter of code blocking/disabling/etc.. then its just a matter of code to have it working.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:56 AM   #11
Nextel User

Model: 8220

sms is only 160 by default. it is SHORT (first S) if you both have smartphones?!? why not send an email? or a PIN or a MMS?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
decadude

Model: 8830
Carrier: telus
Default Long SMS Messages

I've never seen such a topic bring out irrelevant answers. When someone asks "how can I send more that 160 characters in an SMS?" the answer should be related to how to do it. I don't think the person should be told to use email, LOL.. hey if your thumb hurts, whack your toe with a hammer...

I think a piece of software should exist or should be developed which could break down large SMS messages into digestible pieces for the carriers to carry along to the recipient.

That's my two cents.. ;)
Old 02-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #13
InGearX
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadude View Post
I've never seen such a topic bring out irrelevant answers. When someone asks "how can I send more that 160 characters in an SMS?" the answer should be related to how to do it. I don't think the person should be told to use email, LOL.. hey if your thumb hurts, whack your toe with a hammer...

I think a piece of software should exist or should be developed which could break down large SMS messages into digestible pieces for the carriers to carry along to the recipient.

That's my two cents.. ;)
"I think a piece of software should exist or should be developed which could break down large SMS messages into digestible pieces for the carriers to carry along to the recipient."
second that
Old 02-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGearX View Post
"I think a piece of software should exist or should be developed which could break down large SMS messages into digestible pieces for the carriers to carry along to the recipient."
second that
well, it's been decided on already . . . by open standards, SMS is 160 characters. GSM carriers are more forgiving as far as allowing multi-segment messages to be sent via their SMS network than CDMA carriers.

The "piece of software" that you are clamouring for is called MMS, and that's already incorporated on the devices. . . sending 1 lengthy MMS message that may equal multiple SMS may actually save Sender and/or Receiver extra messaging charges if they're not on any unlimited messaging plan.

So, by all means, use MMS that you already have.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:29 AM   #15
autoprime

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisambo View Post
well, it's been decided on already . . . by open standards, SMS is 160 characters. GSM carriers are more forgiving as far as allowing multi-segment messages to be sent via their SMS network than CDMA carriers.

The "piece of software" that you are clamouring for is called MMS, and that's already incorporated on the devices. . . sending 1 lengthy MMS message that may equal multiple SMS may actually save Sender and/or Receiver extra messaging charges if they're not on any unlimited messaging plan.

doesnt mms cost money to those receiving it without an mms plan built into their main plan? if everyone had free mms id only use mms.. but im not trying to charge my friends $$ to receive something they dont have.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:35 AM   #16
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoprime View Post
doesnt mms cost money to those receiving it without an mms plan built into their main plan? if everyone had free mms id only use mms.. but im not trying to charge my friends $$ to receive something they dont have.
Generally, present day messaging is described to include SMS, MMS, picture mail, etc.... if they don't have messaging plan and gets charged on a per message basis, then a 360-character SMS would cost three times as much as 1 MMS delivering the same message
Old 02-27-2009, 04:07 AM   #17
autoprime

i believe att and sprint lump them in with most plans.. but i know that i have quite a few verizon friends that have sms but no mms plan... and they get charged .25 per mms. i just wouldnt want to have to think what friend has what plan before sending an mms.

either way... mms is a workaround.. but id like to see a fix with this.

im gonna play with sms service book variables and the sms module and see if that changes anything. prob not.. but worth a shot. i just know this isnt a hardware limitation and id like to get to the bottom of it.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:30 AM   #18
l0ki

Model: 9900
Carrier: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisambo View Post

QFT

Depending on provider, they might offer a service 'SMS2EMAIL' but I believe its extremely rare and might not exactly be what you need.

However normal SMS is limited to 160 characters by standard as crisambo stated.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #19
tangyberry

Model: 7100T

I know its a slight deviation from the discussion but does anyone know of an application that gives custom messages apart from the one on the phone ...something like cool onliners , qoutes, just plain messages like will call u back ....
Old 02-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #20
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

That is a great deviation from this thread.

I don't know of anything that does that. Do you mean like the AutoText feature already on the BlackBerry?
Closed Thread