spawn1980

Model: Storm
PIN: For Ladies ONLY
Carrier: Alltel
Default Need HELP SETTING UP STORM with ALLTEL

Please Login to Remove!

Hello"
OK here's my story..
I bought a storm because the price was soooo Good ($275.00+ Free Shipping). plus my phone is unreliable (HTC TOUCH) got in to a accident and my phone WOULD NOT DIAL did several soft resets STILL would not DIAL.. Long story short it freezes allot and to many delays.. on top of that alltel don't have any real touch screen pda phone besides the touch pro and htc 6800. Besides I want to stay clear from htc and (samsung BAD RECEPTION in my area).

So I found a storm on ebay good price strong seller feedback can't complain but I like to know what steps should I take activate with alltel I know it can be done but I also know that I will end up losing something like internet or maybe sms and do I need to unlock it also because I found how to unlock it on ebay..

PLEASE HELP I REALLY WANT TO USE THIS PHONE...
Old 03-20-2009, 05:43 AM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (3G= Chuck Norris Speed)

Is this storm CDMA?
If not you have no chance

As it is you have a small chance, typically alltel will not activate a device from outside their inventory, not saying impossible but gonna be tough
Old 03-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
Wirelessly posted (3G= Chuck Norris Speed)

Is this storm CDMA?
If not you have no chance

As it is you have a small chance, typically alltel will not activate a device from outside their inventory, not saying impossible but gonna be tough
Yes, it must be a Verizon-branded 9530 Storm.

Alltel does not typically activate other providers handsets, but they have begun to activate Verizon phones since the recent purchase of Alltel.

The thread below should help you in your quest to get it activated:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...on-alltel.html
Old 03-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
Is this storm CDMA?
Yeah -- we really need the model number (applies to all questions for help). "Storm" could refer to a 9500, 9520 or 9530. Different answers depending on the actual model number.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
spawn1980

I have not receive the phone yet because I bought it 2 days ago The guy told me it is a 9530
Old 03-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

The 9530 is the CDMA version. Once you get it and have the ESN and PIN, call your carrier to see if they will activate it.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
spawn1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
The 9530 is the CDMA version. Once you get it and have the ESN and PIN, call your carrier to see if they will activate it.
Do I need to say this phone is a pearl or anything blackberry in case they ask me what type of phone I'm changing into.

I've notice that you can also do a esn change on the website would that work also instead of getting the 3rd degree question.

Which is better call or do it online.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Better to call and tell them what it is. They might or might not have the service books and non-storm versions won't work. Be up front and polite and you will go a long way toward getting it set up if it is possible.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
spawn1980

I'll give it a try when it comes hopefully by tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Yeah, and I seem to recall that the online ESN swap doesn't work for smartphones.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
mark0341
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
PIN: E Tree's
Carrier: Verizon

Verizon BlackBerry on Alltel How to

Everything should work on Alltel's network. BTW the 9530 is both a CDMA and GMS BlackBerry. You can use it on U.S. GSM networks however it does not have 3G when in GSM mode. On the CMDA mode you can use 3G EvDO Rev. A.

Last edited by mark0341; 03-20-2009 at 09:14 PM..
Old 03-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #12
spawn1980

OK I finally got my storm today I did the update steps to switch to alltel afterward I dialed *22801 press 3 updated fine dialed it again press 2 to update roaming got activation unsuccessful any ideas.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #13
Vizvzw

Model: 9530
Carrier: vzw

Man I duno how its guna work. I have not read the step by step. So im guessing a lot here. One thing I do know is that Yes, The esn will go onto Alltels systems. #2, you will need to change ur rate plan to one of their smart choice plans with the black berry code. When you call or goto a retail store, you can just "give them the ESN" with out presenting the phone. When they hear its a blackberry, and they get to put you on a smart choice plan, its $$$ in their pocket. They could care less what it is =P

Next the over the air programing will never work. Your guna have to do it the manual way. Just google what blackberrys programing code is. Your guna have to put in ur MDN and MIN by hand. Along with your area's SID #. Ask ur local alltel rep what that is. Or look it up on ur old handset.

Heres where ur problem rest's. Service books, data, VM, and txting. All are phone propritary. The software that they will try to push to ur phone, are for the Curve and Pearl. Same OS (4.5) diffrent platforms. The storm wont know wtf it is.

Anyway my guess is that you can get your voice to work fine with basic nam programing, but all data and sms =/ guna ack funky if not work at all. Anyway good luck with it!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #14
spawn1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizvzw View Post
Man I duno how its guna work. I have not read the step by step. So im guessing a lot here. One thing I do know is that Yes, The esn will go onto Alltels systems. #2, you will need to change ur rate plan to one of their smart choice plans with the black berry code. When you call or goto a retail store, you can just "give them the ESN" with out presenting the phone. When they hear its a blackberry, and they get to put you on a smart choice plan, its $$$ in their pocket. They could care less what it is =P

Next the over the air programing will never work. Your guna have to do it the manual way. Just google what blackberrys programing code is. Your guna have to put in ur MDN and MIN by hand. Along with your area's SID #. Ask ur local alltel rep what that is. Or look it up on ur old handset.

Heres where ur problem rest's. Service books, data, VM, and txting. All are phone propritary. The software that they will try to push to ur phone, are for the Curve and Pearl. Same OS (4.5) diffrent platforms. The storm wont know wtf it is.

Anyway my guess is that you can get your voice to work fine with basic nam programing, but all data and sms =/ guna ack funky if not work at all. Anyway good luck with it!
Actually I got everything working now sms, voicemail, (email FINALLY) internet,roaming upgrade so far everything works. I went to a site that explains everything.
Site below:

www scottxp.com/2008/12/13/blackberry-storm-alltel/
Old 03-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
tbennett

Model: 8130

Simple, go to alltel, they can switch it over for you with no problem.

Alltel is Verzion, all verzion phones will work on existing alltel plans.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #16
Vizvzw

Model: 9530
Carrier: vzw

hah.... that is Awsome killer! Im glad all worked out.. IM guna go to the link, and try it myself. I have the phone too, and both carriers.

Wish me luck! =P
Old 03-25-2009, 04:53 PM   #17
spawn1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbennett View Post
Simple, go to alltel, they can switch it over for you with no problem.

Alltel is Verzion, all verzion phones will work on existing alltel plans.
That's not true I contacted alltel before doing any of the steps and they said all they can do is activate they can't program it because that phone does not show up on there database. They also said that the internet/data will not work GOOD ONE ALLTEL

I only have 3 concern
1. Before I was using active sync (HTC TOUCH) and it has all my contacts and calendar is there a way to convert them to BB Desktop Manager.

2. The sim card that came with my used storm has that person contacts in there I get prompt if i want to add my contacts from the sim card.

3. If my phone is damage or whatever where do I take it for repair or replace verizon said they can't do it because it's not activated with them and alltel keep given me the run around saying its not in there database.

Last edited by spawn1980; 03-25-2009 at 04:57 PM..
Old 03-26-2009, 06:56 AM   #18
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn1980 View Post
That's not true I contacted alltel before doing any of the steps and they said all they can do is activate they can't program it because that phone does not show up on there database. They also said that the internet/data will not work GOOD ONE ALLTEL

I only have 3 concern
1. Before I was using active sync (HTC TOUCH) and it has all my contacts and calendar is there a way to convert them to BB Desktop Manager.

2. The sim card that came with my used storm has that person contacts in there I get prompt if i want to add my contacts from the sim card.

3. If my phone is damage or whatever where do I take it for repair or replace verizon said they can't do it because it's not activated with them and alltel keep given me the run around saying its not in there database.
1. Use the sync feature in DM to sync with Outlook.
2. Remove the SIM card.
3. You will have to buy a new one on your own. Neither carrier will support you at this point.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #19
spawn1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
3. You will have to buy a new one on your own. Neither carrier will support you at this point.
What if I contact RIM do you think they will help?
Old 03-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #20
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn1980 View Post
What if I contact RIM do you think they will help?
No, they will refer you to the carrier.