BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
mybootorg

Model: 7100T
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default TMO 7100t: Blackberry Browser vs. Browser?

Please Login to Remove!

I've tried to read up on as many FAQ's and posts here as I can. But I still haven't found a satisfactory answer to this question.

Other than the icon, what is the difference between the "Blackberry Browser" and "Browser" ? I take it that Browser is WAP, and Blackberry Browser is something else?

Here's the thing. Frequently on the Blackberry Browser, I cannot get to a website I need to get to. For instance, mobile.blackberry.com It says "Network Service unavailable, try again later" or something to that effect.

Moments later I open the same link in "Browser" and it comes up just fine. Meanwhile, I can get to websites on the "Blackberry Browser". But randomly it wont let me get to other sites, repeatedly giving me that error.

Can anyone fill me in on this? Is the Browser more reliable than the Blackberry Browsers or something? Should they be used situationally?

Thanks in advance,

Craig Mitchell, myboot.org
Old 11-04-2005, 01:52 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I was told that the "Blackberry Browser" goes through your corporate firewall and that the "Browser" goes through your provider directly to the internet or something to that effect.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:13 AM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I don't have two seperate icons on my 7105t...

The only way I get to "Browser" is by opening the "Download Fun" icon. Then, if I go to a site, it automatically opens "BlackBerry Browser". I am on BIS, so firewall should not be an issue.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:12 AM   #4
Quake97
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

This is a good question that I hope someone can answer. I was wondering the same thing on my 7100i.

Joe
Old 11-04-2005, 10:04 AM   #5
penk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink

'Browser' seems to be simple WAP, while 'BlackBerry Browser' is html-based.

this got really confusing after the latest 4.0.2.49 upgrade, when the bookmarks were relabeled with one now reading "Download Fun". sadly, i can no longer remember what it read previously.

all i've got to support this thinking involves the browser configuration options. if you're looking at a pure WAP site (from Web Links), the emulation settings can not be changed from "BlackBerry". any bookmarks added to Download Fun will be restricted in this same manner. within the 'BB Browser', emulation includes multiple options like "IE" and even "Pocket IE", and subsequently any bookmarks within that folder.*

the splash page pacifier is another clue as to which you are using - after opening and selecting a bookmark, the "T-Mobile" logo indictates 'Browser' use and the "BlackBerry" logo would therefore indicate 'BB Browser'. this is handy for me, as i've hidden the browser icons and simply launch using the center "T" button.

* discovered this while trouble shooting .adp ringer downloads when "Save" was not offered within the menu. simply moving the bookmark from a Download Fun subfolder into BlackBerry Bookmarks initiated the 'BB Browser' with appropriate IE emulation and the necessary "Save" option.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:40 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Default Browser vs. Blackberry Browser

I just got off the phone with my IT guy. I had two 7100t's that I could not get the BBToday weather and stock features to work, but had 3 previous ones that it worked just fine on. We kept getting a could not open tunnel error. The only difference between the units that worked and the ones that did not was that the Blackberry Browser was not installed on the units that gave the error. Turns out that the "Blackberry Browser" feature (called "data something or other..." on the BES) was not enabled on the BES for those users. The "Blackberry Browser" DOES go through your coporate firewall and has to be enabled on their end. Maybe they should call it "Blackberry Enterprise Browser." If it's not enabled you won't get the "Blackberry Browser" icon. It is an html browser just one that they control. You need it enabled to get those apps to work if you are on BES--that's for another thread but thought I'd throw it in here anyway.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #7
penk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
The "Blackberry Browser" DOES go through your coporate firewall and has to be enabled on their end. Maybe they should call it "Blackberry Enterprise Browser." If it's not enabled you won't get the "Blackberry Browser" icon. It is an html browser just one that they control.
mine's on BIE, not BES.

it is more likely that there is a network protocol that "activates" when the the BB Browser is present, and not necessarily tied to or funneled through a BES.

ran into a similar issue when trying to operate BerryNews. while not using or accessing my corporate servers, only the BES version would function on my device - not the Personal version designed for BIE users. the errors were related to the internet access attempts, and while it wasn't really going through a BES, it seemed to think it was.

there may be some quirky protocol (IP/TCP, TLC, idIOT, TPS...) relation, but i don't think the BB Browser is limited in the way you were described.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:48 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by penk
mine's on BIE, not BES.

it is more likely that there is a network protocol that "activates" when the the BB Browser is present, and not necessarily tied to or funneled through a BES.

ran into a similar issue when trying to operate BerryNews. while not using or accessing my corporate servers, only the BES version would function on my device - not the Personal version designed for BIE users. the errors were related to the internet access attempts, and while it wasn't really going through a BES, it seemed to think it was.

there may be some quirky protocol (IP/TCP, TLC, idIOT, TPS...) relation, but i don't think the BB Browser is limited in the way you were described.
I would believe that to be true. However, the only way to get the Blackberry Browser and whatever protocol comes with it was to have him activate that particular data service on the BES...

I've never not been on a BES. Can you have the Blackberry Browser without being on a BES?

Last edited by John Clark; 11-05-2005 at 03:56 PM..
Closed Thread