BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
laur419
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Angry Overnight battery drain on my new 8900 for NO reason!

Please Login to Remove!

So last night, I charged up my new 8900 to near full, pulled it off the charger and went to bed.

This morning, I noticed it was blinking an orangish color which was a new color alert, and when I looked that the battery meter, it was almost gone!

I can't imagine what happened! Obviously the internet wasn't used overnight and there were no calls made.

Does anyone have any advice/ideas to what happened? I've only had my 8900 for about 3 weeks! To top it off, I'm currently in Canada for vacation, so I can't easily get to a T-Mobile store until I cross back into the U.S. in a few days! :(
Old 04-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

You very likely left some application(s) running in the background of which you are not aware, like especially the browser on an active web page.

Read some tips here, down in the section about reducing fast battery drains.

Battery Use Tips for your Maximum Battery Life | BlackBerryNews.com
Old 04-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
laur419
Thumbs Must Hurt

Actually, the weird thing is that I haven't been using my phone much at all-- not for internet or calls (or even apps) because I'm roaming here in Canada and I don't want to be charged a bundle when I get home.

It's barely even taking a charge now. Should I do a battery pull maybe?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
hearmeoutx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-mobile

How many bars of service do you have? Are you sure there is absolutely nothing running in the backround? Press the blackberry menu button and scroll down to "switch applications". There should only be five applications running browser, BB messenger, phone, Messages, and the home screen icon.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
laur419
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearmeoutx View Post
How many bars of service do you have? Are you sure there is absolutely nothing running in the backround? Press the blackberry menu button and scroll down to "switch applications". There should only be five applications running browser, BB messenger, phone, Messages, and the home screen icon.
I did this-- in addition the 5 you mentioned, Blackberry Alerts and Google Maps came up.
I used Google Maps briefly yesterday... but I often use it. Could that really be what caused it?

I don't think anything was actually getting a data transfer on it.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Google Maps left running in the background can cause quick battery drain. There's your culprit.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
laur419
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wow, I wonder if that's been a problem all along... I often put my phone on the charger while I'm actually in bed, but the past few nights I haven't because there's no outlets next to the bed in this hotel and I need to be near my precious at all times (addict, much?)

Thing is, I've had it on the charger since 8:00 a.m. PST, and now it's 9:17 and it's only at 2 bars... that's a bit worrying too, I think.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
raygnlz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 217F82B5
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have had the simular problem. It highly recommended to back out completely from any application when not using the phone. Not only does drain the battery but it also slows the phone down. Browser and Google/Blackberry Maps are the worst.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Google Maps left running in the background can cause quick battery drain. There's your culprit.
Yep, that's your problem. You should close that with the menu/BB key, don't "back out" with the back key. Backing out will leave some apps running even though they do not show up on the active programs list. I think Viigo is one of these. To be safe CLOSE it.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
hearmeoutx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by laur419 View Post
Wow, I wonder if that's been a problem all along... I often put my phone on the charger while I'm actually in bed, but the past few nights I haven't because there's no outlets next to the bed in this hotel and I need to be near my precious at all times (addict, much?)

Thing is, I've had it on the charger since 8:00 a.m. PST, and now it's 9:17 and it's only at 2 bars... that's a bit worrying too, I think.
Google maps is definitely the culprit. Also, do you have GPS on your phone enabled? That will also drain your battery quickly!
Old 04-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
shona67
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Actually, the weird thing is that I haven't been using my phone much at all-- not for internet or calls (or even apps) because I'm roaming here in Canada and I don't want to be charged a bundle when I get home.

It's barely even taking a charge now. Should I do a battery pull maybe?
Find any free wi-fi spots and you will worry free about international roaming charges.

ZONE Finder
ZONE Finder
Old 04-22-2009, 05:08 AM   #12
XBGM3R
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900c
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪
Default The Mini USB Portable Energizer® Energi To Go®

Quote:
So last night, I charged up my new 8900 to near full, pulled it off the charger and went to bed.

This morning, I noticed it was blinking an orangish color which was a new color alert, and when I looked that the battery meter, it was almost gone!

I can't imagine what happened! Obviously the internet wasn't used overnight and there were no calls made.

Does anyone have any advice/ideas to what happened? I've only had my 8900 for about 3 weeks! To top it off, I'm currently in Canada for vacation, so I can't easily get to a T-Mobile store until I cross back into the U.S. in a few days! :(
I understanding your situations what you had concerned about battery drain quickly. I wanted to show you :

My 8300 attached with Mini USB Portable Energizer Energi To Go before upgraded 8900. (Click Me). Anyway it will recharge BB for a hour or so. its really helpful!

I highly recommending you to get the Mini USB Portable Energizer for back up battery. I currently using 8900. its work with it, use Motorola V9 Mini to Micro USB Adapter for Energizer.