BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: What is best?8330or8350i or wait and bail from Sprint?
keep the 8350i 5 38.46%
swap for 8330 6 46.15%
return all and stick with Instinct till 11/09 then bail 1 7.69%
wait for Palm Pre or IPhone etc. 1 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
mrlizzzard

Model: 8350i
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Default 8330 vs.8350i ??

Please Login to Remove!

This is my second post on this issue.I still don't have an answer.Don't want to be a pain or take advantage of this great forum but here is my dilemma:

1-Was with Nextel since 2000.
2-Went with Instinct last fall,was never happy with it and found it would not work in my home like Nextel did.
3-Got brave and went to Sprint Store and chose an 8350i because it would work at home as well as help my little business,one week into my 30day trial period but away from home for a month more.
4-Found out the 8350i is not 3g but has Wi-Fi and does not support Nascar as well as TV or videos.
5-Found out the 8350i will not tether.I had wanted badly to tether it to an Acer netbook for motorcycle travel.

Sprint allows 1 change in the 30 day moneyback.Contract is up in October.
Should I swap for the 8330,keep the Instinct till October and get another carrier,get Palm Pre when available or keep the 8350i and make it do what I need??

Thank you all for your patience.

[email address]
Old 04-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

It appears that the 8350 does not fit your needs. The 8330 seems to fit them better. The 8330 has EVDO speeds which the 8350 does not. Also, as you mentioned, you can tether, which seems to be an important feature for you.

The 8350 has Direct Connect and WiFi which the 8330 does not, it's really up to which features are more important to you. I would love to have WiFi, but I would take the 8330 over the 8350i. That's just my personal preference which will differ from yours.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
mrlizzzard

Dear JS I want to thank you for taking the time and your input is appreciated.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
-EOS-
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

I 2nd JS's input.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
pshift
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ...
PIN: N/A. Went To Android!
Carrier: Busy Signal :)

I 3rd JS's input. If you do not absolutely need the walkie-talkie feature, ditch it.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

4th. I'm very happy with my Sprint 8330, and don't miss/need wifi or PTT features.

YMMV, of course.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
cougar0018
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8350I
Carrier: Sprint/Nextell

First, you should figure out what you want.

2nd, look at what both phones have to offer. whichever one satisfies the criteria you are looking for, that sthe one you shoul dget.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
rasmith3530
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330m
PIN: Ask
Carrier: US Cellular

I'd look at it this way, but remember, you have to look at what works best for you, not me.

A phone is first and foremost a phone. You need to pick the carrier that is going to give you the best reception in the places where you use your device most frequently.

I assume that you've been with Nextel since 2000 because of their push-to-talk technology. If that is the case, and if that is a feature you use frequently, perhaps related to your buisness, then there is some strong reason for staying with Nextel no matter which phone you go with.

Business comes before pleasure. Get the NASCAR channel on cable and watch it after work! Don't base your phone purchase on something that trivial!!!

Look at your phone usage. Since it is a device you are using to make your living, those considerations must, by necessity, carry more weight. Do you need 3G for business purposes, or for pleasure? Same for WiFi. Which of those two makes a better business case?

Those are the important things that I can think of. I own an 8330 Curve (on USCC) and am quite happy with it, but it may, or may not be the device for you.

Also, I am aware that Nextel also has Windows Mobile-based devices, primarily the Motorola i950. That may be another possible alternative, although, having just moved from WinMobile to BlackBerry myself, I'm partial to the Curve.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #9
AnthroMatt
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: 268B3F92
Carrier: at&t

If using two devices is something you would consider, you may look into that. I use my Nextel device for voice and PTT and I have a Sprint 8330 sharing minutes on the same plan, which I primarily use for data and MMS. I leave my Curve at home when I have no pressing need for data, but take it with me whenever I will be out of the office or when I travel.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:40 AM   #10
mrlizzzard

I've had more anxiety over the choice of 8330 vs. 8350i and after much deliberation chose the 8350i because as someone said you must get a phone that will work first.Nextel works in our place in Ohio and Texas but Sprint won't work in Ohio.I will hardly use the chirp because all the Nextel pals are now Verizon or ATT or Sprint.I do like the wifi feature of the 8350i and also the 8350i will work with BOOST if I need to bail.

The IDEN internet are slow but okay and the BB itself has a clear screen with easy texting pimples on the keyboard.I would have liked the tethering feature also but I'm just going to buy a netbook and have that for motorcycle travel and Starbuck's surfing.

Thank you all for your support.

mrlizzzard
Old 04-22-2009, 04:09 AM   #11
rasmith3530
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330m
PIN: Ask
Carrier: US Cellular

I just recently switched to my 8330 Curve from an HTC6800. I wanted something different than an interface I've used since before it was a cell phone platform (Windows CE/Mobile). I really do like my BlackBerry after using it only a couple of weeks.

There are a lot of things that I can do with my BlackBerry, but it does have some limits. Yes, I am able to watch a YouTube video on it, but do I really want to. Well, if it is all that I have, then yes. I would rather watch a video on a larger screen, and to that end, I have owned an Asus Eee PC 4G Surf, loaded with Eeebuntu, and now own an Acer Aspire One, dual booting Windows XP and Ubuntu Jaunty Netbook Remix.

For me, that is a perfect combination, my BlackBerry and my Aspire One. My phone is a great phone, and has added capabilities when they are needed, which happens frequently. My netbook supplements my home computer when I am out, and it also supplements my phone.

Most importantly, my cellular service provider gives me great service in the areas where I travel, and that is why I have been with them for over a decade, long before there were either smartphones or netbooks!

Good luck and go with what works for you!
Closed Thread