Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
MagnumVP

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint & ATT
Default Upgrade BES 4.0 to 5.0 on New Server

Please Login to Remove!

I have BES running 4.0.7 MR3 (Rollup) (Bundle 51) for Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003 with 20 users. I need to move all the users to a new server running Windows Server 2003. I have the BES 5.0 software but have not installed it yet. What is the best way to move the users without having them to reactivate their BB on the new server and have the new server running BES 5.0?

Thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

If you have another SRP and spare CALs you can use BlackBerry Enterprise Transporter to move users from the BES 4 environment to the BES 5 environment.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
jeffro01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 2277C472
Carrier: At&t (Company)

Under this scenario each BES version has it's own separate back end SQL DB right?

Jeff
Old 09-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
besadmin23
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro01 View Post
Under this scenario each BES version has it's own separate back end SQL DB right?
No, He can install 5.0 on the new server and point to the existing DB. This will upgrade the schema of that DB and make the new bes a member of that BB domain. Then he can just 'move' the users via the new BlackBerry Administration Service (BAS) console to the 5.0 BES. This assumes he has a spare srp.

If he doesn't have a spare SRP, he can:
  • Turn off the services of the 4.x bes (set them to manual so they don't come back on accidentally)
  • Install 5.0 on new server and point to 4.x DB
  • Use the SRP identifier and Key of the 4.x BES server.
  • Finish the install, start the 5.0 BES
  • Log into BAS and move all the users from the 4.x BES (this will show up as the users current location), to the new 5.0 BES.
  • The BB's will switch to the new server and mail should begin flowing.

In the above scenario, don't EVER start the old 4.x BES again as it will lock our your SRP if running at the same time the 5.0 BES is using it. At this point, you would go into Component view under Servers and Components in the BAS and remove the 4.x BES... I think you would want to uninstall it from the physical hardware first and then remove the components... Or it could just live there and be orphaned...

It would be optimal to have another SRP. Then you could move the users back and forth between the 4.x BES and the 5.0 BES. You could even keep the 4.x BES around indefinitely for cheap manual failover location.

The other benefit to this method is that any IT policies that you had manually created will be on the new 5.0 server as well, since IT policies are domain centric.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
MagnumVP

@besadmin23

1. Will the users see any issues on their devices or will the new service books be downloaded with little interruption?

2. Once I move the users over to the new server will the new server have the DB local so I can remove the old server from service?
Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
MagnumVP

Well come to find out that BES 5.0 upgrade is NOT compatible with the version that I have. According to the setup, I need 4.1.2 or later to upgrade. Now I have to figure out how I'm going to upgrade 4.0 to 4.1. Do I need a separate license for 4.1 than 4.0? Can I upgrade directly to the latest service release?

Last edited by MagnumVP; 09-02-2009 at 01:02 PM..
Old 09-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
besadmin23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumVP View Post
@besadmin23

1. Will the users see any issues on their devices or will the new service books be downloaded with little interruption?
No issues. Service books will deliver and away you go...

Quote:
@besadmin23
2. Once I move the users over to the new server will the new server have the DB local so I can remove the old server from service?
DB local?? You didn't explain where your sql was located... Is MSDE or SQL Express on the original 4.x box?? If so, things will be more complex as you would need to move the DB to the new box if you were wanting to install SQL Express to handle the new stuff.

If SQL is remote on seperate box, no prob... Just point to it.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
besadmin23

Quote:
Well come to find out that BES 5.0 upgrade is NOT compatible with the version that I have. According to the setup, I need 4.1.2 or later to upgrade. Now I have to figure out how I'm going to upgrade 4.0 to 4.1. Do I need a separate license for 4.1 than 4.0? Can I upgrade directly to the latest service release?
I can't recall if going to 4.1 is free from 4.0.x or not. You can try downloading the 'upgrader' installer besx_upgrader_4.1.6.exe from HERE and just attempt to run it on your 4.0.x box. If it continues, it will upgrade your 4.0 to 4.1 and from there you can upgrade to 5.0.

Out of curiousity, how did you buy 5.0? Did you qualify for an upgrade price or what?? Did you get an SRP with it or not?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
MagnumVP

The MSDE is located on the active BES server. So I guess it gets more complicated.

We purchased the 5.0 through our provider. Sprint/Nextel. I think they thought we were on 4.1 so we got the upgrade price. I'm downing the 4.1.6. updater to see what happens. I'll keep you informed.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
MagnumVP

I downloaded the 4.1.6. Updater and it tells me "Incompatible Version detected on system." Guess I'll have to go back to my provider to see what they can do.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #11
besadmin23

You may be in luck... You didn't answer the question yet whether you got a separate SRP and key...

The BlackBerry Enterprise Transporter supports the migration of user accounts from the
following environments to BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange version
5.0 or later:
xxx8226; BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange version 4.0 SP7

If you did get an extra SRP Key or even if you didn't... you can still do this without a middle upgrade step... AND get a new SQL Express DB out of the deal so you don't have to migrate or move the db from the existing machine AND your users won't have to re-activate.

Let me know and I will explain depending on whether you have an extra SRP or not.

The quote above was from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Resource Kit
BlackBerry Enterprise Transporter Doc found here
Old 09-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #12
MagnumVP

I did NOT get an extra SRP number. I'm still using the same License Key, SRP, etc.. from the 4.0.7.

The upgrade planning document states that it does support upgrading from 4.0.7 as well, but tell that to the upgrade installer that reports that it only supports 4.1.2.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #13
besadmin23

ok, understood about the SRP...

Sounds like the upgrader didn't work. No worries.

So to confirm, do you have the 5.0 CD or were you given a download of the installer files??

Here are the high level steps to get onto 5.0 given your current scenario:
  • Jot down your SRP and identifier plus CAL keys from the 4.0 BES.
  • Turn the services off and set them to manual on your 4.0 BES.
  • Install from scratch, your 5.0 BES and all standard/default components on your new machine.
  • Install it with SQL Express as well.
  • Use the SRP and key plus CAL key from your 4.0 machine.
  • At the end of the install, start services and log into BAS. (Create BAS authentication during install which is a stand alone set of creds and log in with those. You can add AD cred later to your account.)
  • Read the Enterprise Transporter guide from above post and install and use it to migrate your users from the old BB domain to the new...
  • Test it on yourself or a test BB user on the old system and make sure it comes across.
  • If things crap out on the test user, you can always just turn the 5.0 BES off and start the services back up on the 4.0 BES.
Again, High level. Do some reading through the guides and especially the Enterprise Transporter guide. It's pretty easy though. With only 20 users, you could be done pretty quick with some good planning. In fact you could do ALL of the 5.0 install and just NOT start the 5.0 services at the end of the install until you are ready with everything else. This would keep your users up and going right until you were ready. As long as the two machine don't have the services running at the same time, you're good.
Closed Thread