Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
Ozzy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8707
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Stolen Blackberry: Kill handheld

Please Login to Remove!

We had a blackberry stolen and before we were able to send a "kill message" out to the handheld the user called vodafone and got the sim disconnected.

we still sent the kill handheld command but not sure if it will work as the card had already been disconnected.

would this still work?

if anyone could let me know how this works that would be great!
Old 12-07-2005, 03:53 PM   #2
chrous29
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

If or when they insert a SIM card an get on the rim network it should work yes. It kils the it's done by pin# witch is on the BB it self.

I did the test 1 month ago.

You should see the "kill" qued or pending for that BB

Last edited by chrous29; 12-07-2005 at 03:55 PM..
Old 12-07-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
Ozzy

thanks for that chrous29,

where would i see this?

Quote:
You should see the "kill" qued or pending for that BB
the status of that device says "running"

and also - the device had not been activated yet

thats for your help
Old 12-07-2005, 06:05 PM   #4
chrous29

sorry im am not at work now but if you look ether on the left side of the manager you should have the server (s) under that the devices or handleds click on it that should get you the devices on the right side in a list just click once on the one you are trying the "kill" and under that you will see the status of ti. One line should say like deactevitting pending or something like that I just don't know the wording.

Or you can on the left side of the manager click on the server and on the right botom side you should have the status of it. Read all the lignes and one should say something like Kill pending or what ever the wording is.

Hope it helps.

Sorry for the errors im dyslexic but working on it.

Last edited by chrous29; 12-07-2005 at 06:08 PM..
Old 12-07-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
Ozzy

thanks for your reply again chrous29,

i had a look at the things you told me again (already checked them before hand too) and i cant see where it says pending or queing or kill or deactivating comand.

the handheld had not been activated yet - would that make a difference?

thanks for your help!
Old 12-08-2005, 04:24 AM   #6
dodgydane

Model: 9800

Let me get this right; the handheld hadn't been activated yet?
That means there wasn't any data on there?.....then you wouldn't have to kill it.
Killing it wipes the data and resets the device, but there wouldn't be any reason to do this if there's no data on there.

Have I understood this right?

Also I always make a point of telling people not to disconnect the SIM before the handheld has been killed. It's all very well that once you put another SIM in the device and put it back on the RIM network the data will be wiped however if the person who have stolen the device doesn't do that, that person will still have access to the data on the device.

Hope that helps?
Old 12-08-2005, 04:30 AM   #7
dodgydane

...I've never had to kill a device myself but I believe to check the status you'd have to go into the users properties under IT admin tab......when you resend the service books you can check the status of delivery in there......
Old 12-08-2005, 04:08 PM   #8
Ozzy

Hi dodgydane,

just a little background might help explain the situation.

the devices have been out for about a year and a half now. we just recently moved to BESD 4.0.

with the move, the users go through the activation proccess. well he had not been through this phase yet. thats what i was trying to say when i mententioned he had not been activated yet.

you can still use the blackberries how they were if not activated right? correct me if im wrong. im not that experianced as some others.

now i was wondering if the kill command was a BESD 4.0 feature and because the device wasnt activated then it wouldnt work.

does that make sense? let me know if it doesnt.

thanks!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:24 PM   #9
PGChi

Carrier: TMobile

What is this "kill message" and how do you kill a blackberry if it has been lost. Do you call the provider or is it something that you have to do.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:48 AM   #10
billpoly

Model: none
Carrier: none

PGChi - the "kill" is a feature of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. An admin can send a kill message to a BB handheld that is registered on the server, wiping all data and setting it back to factory defaults.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:58 AM   #11
dodgydane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy
Hi dodgydane,

the devices have been out for about a year and a half now. we just recently moved to BESD 4.0.

with the move, the users go through the activation proccess. well he had not been through this phase yet. thats what i was trying to say when i mententioned he had not been activated yet.

thanks!
I see....
well if the SIM has been disconnected then what chrous29 says is true I believe; that it's only until it's put back on the RIM network that the device will be killed.
I'm not sure what happenes with a device that hasn't been activated yet although you would still have the PIN etc.

Is the kill command still pending? (In properties>IT admin tab?)

At some point I guess you'll have to activate a new device for that user and when you do that you will lose the details for the stolen device.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:37 AM   #12
chrous29

Thanks "dodgydane" not being in the office is hard to remember all the right names in the menues.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:40 AM   #13
dodgydane

I know what you mean. I myself is absolutely useless if I'm not infront of the screen!
Old 12-09-2005, 05:15 PM   #14
markerman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: verizon
Question 2 ea. very interesting "What if"s

Senario 1: What if you have a device lost or stolen, send the Kill command to the device, then you activate a new device for the user? My one experience is I sent a kill command to a lost device. Then when I activated the new device for the same user as soon as I activated it, it recieved the kill command I sent for the lost device and wiped the new device. I then had to reactivate it again.

Senario 2: User leaves our organization and takes the BB with him/her. Assume the device is off and not connected to RIMs network. I send the Kill Command to the device. Active Directory Admin deletes users account & Mailbox forcing me to remove users account from the BES. (you will get an error stating the mailbox no longer exists trying to verify the Kill command has been recieved by the device.) Does the Kill command remain queued on RIMS network? Will device still get the kill command once connected back to RIMS network?
Old 12-12-2005, 09:51 PM   #15
dcpatti

Model: 7520

I thought Kill did something more to the device than just wipe and lock it. If I remember correctly, we had one we had to kill and it actually ended up getting returned; we had to send it to Nextel to refurbish. But I could be confused because we have now over 500 users, growing at about 50-100/month and all these Blackberries make me dizzy.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:13 AM   #16
dlautman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpatti
I thought Kill did something more to the device than just wipe and lock it. If I remember correctly, we had one we had to kill and it actually ended up getting returned; we had to send it to Nextel to refurbish. But I could be confused because we have now over 500 users, growing at about 50-100/month and all these Blackberries make me dizzy.
Kill does not even lock it, it just resets to factory settings.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:22 AM   #17
rschmidtjr

Model: 8700
Post Stolen BB Kill options

I run a BES with 16 users and I just had my first stolen BB and used the lock and kill commands for the first time.

I was a bit disappointed in the options we have to work with.
First, the "send password and Lock" is great. A bit later, I decided to send the Kill command to remove the user's data before they took it offline or be battery ran down.

I was disappointed to realize that the unit was then unlocked and the phone was usable. I had to call Verizon and have them suspend it from their end.
Unfortunately I learned that even the lock command ends up the same way if the perp attempts to logon 10 times.

Anyone know of a way to delete data and leave the unit locked with password? That is what I want.

FYI I got a call from Verizon dealer in the town where the unit was stolen (from a parked car). A kid came in to try to get the unit activated.

Bob
Old 03-14-2006, 11:40 AM   #18
Kablooey
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 25ee2d53
Carrier: AT&T and Verizon 9650

I'm not sure where the confusion is but here is the procedure if a device is lost or stolen:
1. Send the kill command to the device and monitor the status to ensure the command was applied successfully.
2. Once it is applied successfully, call the service provider and have the SIM flagged and disabled. You need the device to communicate to the server through the service provider to initiate a kill command, if there is no service-no kill.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #19
rschmidtjr

Model: 8700

That is all well and good, I'm just looking for a way to Delete the Data and leave the unit locked. That way the phone couldn't be used until we unlock it.

That way, you could delay having the carrier disable it in case it turned up the next day like ours did. (Had to call them back and get it reactivated).

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #20
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800

Just to add some more to the last post...Ensure the kill command was received (check the MAGT,DISP and SYNC logs) by the device. If the packet (kill command) was not received, and the owner is issued a new device....this new device will receive the kill command instead. This will happen because the "switch device" option will be invoked when the new device is assigned to the user. In such cases it's better to remove/re-add the user account to prevent this.
Closed Thread