Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
hokie123
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Default wifi capabilities with AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Today I called AT&T to find out when my contract expires, and to make a long story short, they're sending me a new 8900 for free with a 2-year contract extension.

I'm moving over from the 8310, and have never had wifi on a phone before. While I'm waiting for the phone to arrive tomorrow, I had a couple of questions.

When I'm connected to a hotspot or network, does wifi handle all data when when I'm on a voice call? Would this include web browsing as well as applications like Google Maps and Facebook?

Also, is there any way to make international calls using Skype or some other VOIP service?

Last edited by hokie123; 12-03-2009 at 08:14 PM..
Old 12-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
lilshorty
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att

for a person like me who has no data plan and only uses wifi im sure i can help u with that

anyways.... when u turn on wifi on this phone, u should search for a network, after u search and ur in a wifi area, it will pick it up. then just fix the settings and u could web browse all u want.BUT u must fix ur browsing settings by making it wifi hotspot browsing instead of media net.

as far as apps like facebook and google maps u cannot use wifi for that bc it wont work. (i have tried many times) some apps will use wifi and some wont. as far as RIM's apps, no wifi. u need data for that.

so basically wifi is for web browsing and i think it helps txting in some areas im not sure

hope this helped
Old 12-04-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

google maps and facebook will run off wi-fi, if you have the blackberry data plan. the data plan is necessary in order to make them work, and as you've got it, they will then work over wi-fi.

Data may run on wi-fi when using voice, im not completely sure.

No, there is no skype for blackberry.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 12-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
hokie123
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: AT&T

Thought I'd post an update now that I have my new Curve.

It appears that data does in fact travel over wi-fi while on voice calls (if you have a data plan). I tested the scenario out with the browser, Google Maps and Facebook.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
tom0100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-mobile
Default Yeah

Yeah, Wifi is pretty nice. On Tmobile Voip or UMA voice is normal for the Tmobile side. Voice calls automatically go over Wifi with Tmobile when you are connected to a hotspot.

With AT&T all your data will be handled by the wifi access point. But it's like your laptop -- Most access points have passwords. Make sure to scan for access points and put in passwords.

I know their are some ATT people who have done voip and skype...it's tricky on a phone. Not sure why ATT never did UMA voice
Closed Thread