Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
alexsious

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Can i use a new 8900 without internet plan

Please Login to Remove!

for christmas i want a new blackberry 8900 to replace my crappy sidekick. i don't use the internet, i don't care for emails right now, all i want is to use it as a phone and to text. we have t-mobile's unlimited data, but not an internet plan. t-mobile is saying that i cannot even use any bit of the phone if i don't get the web service. They are saying that the new phones come from the factory requiring the full service plan. is that true? i can't afford their rediculous monthly charges for features i don't even care about right now.

so if i was to buy this phone (obviously not through a carrier because they will require every plan in their book to make all the money they can), will i be able to use it for phone and text with out buying all the extra service plans? or will it be a total dud?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

You can use a 8900 for phone and texts without a blackberry data plan, however T-mobile, (and at&t etc) REQUIRE you to have a blackberry data plan, on a blackberry.

Im not sure how t-mobile do it, but I know At&t do a monthly IMEI check, to find blackberries on their network that don't have BB data plans, and then automatically add the plan to the persons account (this is what ive read here).

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 12-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
alexsious

Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
You can use a 8900 for phone and texts without a blackberry data plan, however T-mobile, (and at&t etc) REQUIRE you to have a blackberry data plan, on a blackberry.

Im not sure how t-mobile do it, but I know At&t do a monthly IMEI check, to find blackberries on their network that don't have BB data plans, and then automatically add the plan to the persons account (this is what ive read here).
Thats just sick!!!! if i don't want or use a service, why should i have to pay for a basically optional plan?
Old 12-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Erad5
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

AT&T does not necessarily require you to have any sort of data plan. I don't have BB data plan or AT&T data plan.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

We have several T-Mobile BBs with no data plan. It's not "required".
Old 12-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #6
Koz152

Model: 8700c
PIN: 23F03F5C
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted

My cousin has T-Mobile and has a Blackberry. I think she got the Pearl. Don't know if this is a new phone deal thing they got but all she pays for is minutes and texts. No data plan for her.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz152 View Post
Wirelessly posted

My cousin has T-Mobile and has a Blackberry. I think she got the Pearl. Don't know if this is a new phone deal thing they got but all she pays for is minutes and texts. No data plan for her.
Currently, the Pearl and Pearl flip are the only two BlackBerrys that do not require a data plan from T-mobile (for new accounts).
Old 12-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Currently, the Pearl and Pearl flip are the only two BlackBerrys that do not require a data plan from T-mobile (for new accounts).
To update your list, the BB 8520 is now available as a Pre-paid service device for $299, plus tax of course. . . . no data plan required.

From my understanding, in general, if you avail of the Best Price deals, among the requirements is the subscription to a data plan. If you buy a BlackBerry at full retail or at a price not requiring the data plan, then you're not obligated to pay the monthly data plan charge.

However, people going this route must understand that without getting a Service Book for your BlackBerry device, you will not be able to use your MMS feature. . . . and how do you get a Service Book??? . . . one way is by having a BlackBerry data plan and the other is asking someone with a BB data plan to use your device for the sole purpose of getting a Service Book thru their account.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
sabrodiesel2000

Carrier: aljawal

all depends on the wireless operator, my provider has locked the outgoing ports even for googletalk and msn messenger alongwith the BBM, this is to ensure purchase of Data Service Plan purchase..
Closed Thread