liamt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: BT
Default BES express install problems sbs2003

Please Login to Remove!

hi all,

we are looking at moving to blackberry after all the issues we've had with windows mobile smartphones (actually the smart phone bits work fine- we just find they are terrible at being telephones lol - always missing calls etc)

now, after a few days i still cannot get BES Express to work.

the first time i installed as admin and at the sql stage i had to run the exe file in the database folder to create the db. everything installed ok but i couldnt run the web stuff.

i then found out that you have to install as BESAadmin. so i uninstalled express, read through the 50 pages of permissions (o m g) and applied all the hotfixes i could (most are already covered with the latest sbs service packs)

now, after installing as besadmin im stuck at the sql section again (after reboot)

i installed msde and created a Besadmin instance but the setup cannot connect to this. if i go into the ms sql admin section the only instance i can see is for backupexec - yet if i go to the relevent folder in program files i can see this database has been setup. i have no idea how to administer the database.

any ideas? im rapidly running out of patience.

im just shocked that ipods (yes, an mp3 player!) can connect to exchange right out of the box, yet this 'smartphone' needs all this software, databases and a webserver installing to provide the same thing (we only need email, contacts and calendar syncing like all other smart phones do so easily). im also wondering how much overhead this will have on the already underpowered server.

is there any other s/w i can use on the blackberries that provide this essential service without hours of confusion and slowing down our server any more.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
liamt

anyone got any help with this?
Old 05-04-2010, 03:20 AM   #3
BB-Tech support
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9790
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamt View Post
hi all,

we are looking at moving to blackberry after all the issues we've had with windows mobile smartphones (actually the smart phone bits work fine- we just find they are terrible at being telephones lol - always missing calls etc)

now, after a few days i still cannot get BES Express to work.

the first time i installed as admin and at the sql stage i had to run the exe file in the database folder to create the db. everything installed ok but i couldnt run the web stuff.

i then found out that you have to install as BESAadmin. so i uninstalled express, read through the 50 pages of permissions (o m g) and applied all the hotfixes i could (most are already covered with the latest sbs service packs)

now, after installing as besadmin im stuck at the sql section again (after reboot)

i installed msde and created a Besadmin instance but the setup cannot connect to this. if i go into the ms sql admin section the only instance i can see is for backupexec - yet if i go to the relevent folder in program files i can see this database has been setup. i have no idea how to administer the database.

any ideas? im rapidly running out of patience.

im just shocked that ipods (yes, an mp3 player!) can connect to exchange right out of the box, yet this 'smartphone' needs all this software, databases and a webserver installing to provide the same thing (we only need email, contacts and calendar syncing like all other smart phones do so easily). im also wondering how much overhead this will have on the already underpowered server.

is there any other s/w i can use on the blackberries that provide this essential service without hours of confusion and slowing down our server any more.
Call carrier with any active pin number and ask for RIM support.
Its free for BES Express
Old 05-04-2010, 04:09 AM   #4
liamt

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB-Tech support View Post
Call carrier with any active pin number and ask for RIM support.
Its free for BES Express
sorry, im new to RIM stuff so can you clarify?

what are active pin numbers? we only have 1 BB at present as im trying to get this setup then all 20 phones will be going bb.

my carrier is BT (British Telecom) so should i call them and ask for RIM support?

sorry to be dumb!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
liamt

ok, finally got it installed. but now the webconsole and webdesktop dont work

the links it gave me point to:

DELMARSERVER.DELMARFLOORING.LOCAL:3443/webconsole/login
DELMARSERVER.DELMARFLOORING.LOCAL:3443/webdesktop/login

any ideas? maybe those ports are in use, i will take a look
Old 05-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
liamt

they arent in use. i guess they should be pointing to tomcat apache or something?

why on earth do we need even more webservers running that achieve only a tiny console for admin. why not have an exe file as they always used to? lazy devs? i know its so users can manage their stuff (thats always a terrible idea btw!) but why all this server overhead?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
liamt

ok, i can get a login screen now, but i cant get in with any details i try.

what a complete fail. RIM, i hate you and ive not even had chance to use my BB properly yet!
Old 05-13-2010, 03:13 AM   #8
liamt

ah sod this. after getting someone in to have a look we still cant get this POS working.

customer lost BB. thanks for wasting my time but we are now looking elsewhere. thanks for showing us all that there are far worse companies than M$ for making software. at least their s/w mostly works. this is just terrible software.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:54 AM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Moved to a more appropriate section

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
besadmin23
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Liamt, you should give this another chance. It appears your thread was originated in a different forum and wasn't moved here till today. While installation can be frustrating at times, it's really just finding out the specifics and once configured, it's smooth sailing.

You'll have to give us a bit more details and I think we can get you on the right track if you're willing.

I would have suggested you install SQL Express through the installer... even if you were installing on an SBS. It's only a bit more overhead and the installer would have handled it for you.

When you got to the login screen, did you login using the account that you configured during the install. Either the BESADMIN account that you were logged in as or did you configure a BAS only authentication account?

Just to address one of your frustrations about administration overhead and web servers... You do understand that this (FREE) product can host thousands of devices. It's not like it's freeware crapware. So because it's so scalable, thats how BB decided to do it.

Did you get a chance to look through the great training vids here?
BlackBerry - BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express
You can virtually walk through an install just by following along with the vid on your server.

Good luck, let us know if we can help. Trust me, if you think your gonna get good enough experience out of an ipod (as you stated earlier) then I think you'll be missing out. But thats just my opinion.
Closed Thread