BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
BioHazardx

Model: 8700r
Default Please tell me what this icon is for....

Please Login to Remove!

New 8700c user. I am looking at my display and in the corner - where I get an icon for a VM or message there is a little indicator - square - with a down arrow on it and a 1. I assume that means 1 something.

I dont' have it on the Cingular theme - but when I use the Wave Icon theme - it shows up. I have cleared all my messages, checked for any voicemails etc. Can't seem to figure out what it's for.

Any suggestions? Not sure why it bugs me but it sure does....
Old 01-10-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

In the left hand corner there are 2 indicators, one for voice mail and one for email. the number is a count as to how many messages you have. If it is a voicemail count, you may just be out of sync. Try calling yourself and leaving a VM, then delete the VM and see if the icon goes away.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
jdoolitt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

You may also get an icon (like to describe) if you have push services like weather coming to your BB. I get an icon every day until I go and hit the accuweather push service.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
BioHazardx

Model: 8700r

Thanks - it has to be the weather deal I downloaded. I knew what the VM indicator and messages were - and recently added the weather plug-in. That's what's putting that icon up.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

You would think a Weather Icon would be some rain or a cloud I have BBWeather, don't remember seen any icon for it.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
jdoolitt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

Naw, the icon signifies that you had a 'push' from Accuweather with the latest weather. Clicking on the link removes the icon for me.

A Browser Channel Push sends a web page and two icons to the BlackBerry wireless device. The web page is stored in the cache of the BlackBerry Browser, and an icon is shown on the home screen of the device. An unread icon can be specified so that when a new Browser Channel Push arrives to the device, it will display the unread icon. After the user has opened and visited the page, the read icon is shown. This provides the user with a visual indication as to when a page has been updated. It’s useful for a news service so that users are aware of when new data has arrived. The icons can even change with every push allowing an application to continually push different icons. This would be useful for a weather application updating the current weather conditions.

I think that is what the push services for weather must be using.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
e4chan

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

How do you remove this service....I can't find how to remove this Push Accuweather program. I use BBWeather and really don't have a use for this.

Thanks in advance for you help....

e4.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:51 AM   #8
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4chan
How do you remove this service....I can't find how to remove this Push Accuweather program. I use BBWeather and really don't have a use for this.

Thanks in advance for you help....

e4.
To remove the weather subscription there are two steps:

1) Unsubscribe to the automatic updates by returning to the "Push Content" section of the "BlackBerry Extras" Website and deleting the weather subscription. (basically do what you did to sign up but delete your city instead of adding your city)

2) Delete the content that is already resident on your device. The pushed content should appear in your BlackBerry Browser Bookmarks under the "Browser Channels" heading.

Thanks top markhutchinson who posted this on another thread.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Closed Thread