BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 03:02 AM   #1
VegasLights

Model: 7290
Default Cingular Pay as you Go No Net capable?

Please Login to Remove!

I can not get a straight answer out of the folks at Cingular. I bought a 7290 off Ebay ,popped my Sim into it and works like a charmmmmmmmm. I synced to my PC and loaded the 4.02 Software. I don't have the BBlight Icon any longer(was that the browser ?)I see on Cingular site 39.99 for 4mb access or 49.99 for Unlimited. Is there another way to get access through a 3rd party or directly through "Blackberry" for the BB Net service? They won't let me even purchase Data services even though it is an "Unlimited Plan" and I am willing to pay with CC. They want me to commit to 2 year commitment. Can I "Unlock" this Phone and get a new Sim with TMobile or someone else. I basically just want to retreive my Earthlink email and occasionally browse thr Web,However I would settle for email access. HELP,I love the Berry and don't want a TREO (that is MediaNet compatible)with Cingular.Thanks,VegasLights
Old 02-19-2006, 04:02 AM   #2
andrebsd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: MetroPCS

You could get it unlocked and get a TMobile data plan. It should be 29.99USD without voice & 19.99USD with voice (unlimited access in both cases).

Though the issue is, you're still going to be locked in a contract... it'll just be a contract with TMobile instead of Cingular.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
Jonathan Slivko
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7520/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.16)

Though, TMobile's coverage is crap.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:20 AM   #4
mezorn26
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrebsd
You could get it unlocked and get a TMobile data plan. It should be 29.99USD without voice & 19.99USD with voice (unlimited access in both cases).

Though the issue is, you're still going to be locked in a contract... it'll just be a contract with TMobile instead of Cingular.

are you saying the both cingular and tmobile will not let you go month to month?
They are willing to forego guarenteed business?
Old 02-19-2006, 08:39 AM   #5
rcbjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

I don't think any cellular provider has a plan for data that is for accounts that are Pre-paid and I don't know how the consider the pay-as-you-go plans using a cerdit . Try calling Customer service a three or four different times, if they all give the same "No", then you're out of luck. If one says "Yes", sign up then.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Old 02-19-2006, 10:07 PM   #6
andrebsd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: MetroPCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezorn26
are you saying the both cingular and tmobile will not let you go month to month?
They are willing to forego guarenteed business?
Yes that would be what I'm saying, and as far as loosing business they more than make up for it when people cancel their contract early and get a whopping $175 bill or more for early termination.

I don't think any company does month to month blackberry (unless you already went trough your year, like I have; so I can cancel or change plan options whenever I want. But if I switch to cingular or something; then if/when I come back to TMobile I'll be locked in a contract again.)

It's my understanding that they don't care much for non-contracts because it would cost them to much to setup a phone number and internet/email for people, especialy when many have problems and call tech support alot; only to have the person quit using the service next month. Sure they do prepaid phones; but thats quite a bit less work to setup than a BlackBerry. - I would also assume that they want a contract for their internet users; incase you go completely bonkers and download a few gigs of data per month. Most have a "fair use" policy with their internet services; so if you download a few gigs per month they will most likely do something.
Closed Thread