BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
Argelius
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Question Mac-computing, BMW-driving gadget nut considering switching from a Treo 650

Please Login to Remove!

I've done my best to read the FAQs and search through the forums, but before I visit my local Cingular store (and cancel my Sprint contract), I wanted to get a couple of things clarified. (I have no experience with Blackberry, so apologies in advance if these questions are...well...annoying...)

[1] I am a Mac User. I see that Blackberry now supports synching with iCal and Addressbook. Since this would be a deal-breaker if it didn't work, can anyone confirm that it does, in fact work well?

[2] When typing email messages, does the 8700 have any predictive text functions or are 3rd party applications available?

(On my Treo I use an app called TextPlus that gives word choices as you type. If I type "st" a little list with words like "start, star, stupendous", etc, pops up. It's a great time saver.)

[3] Can anyone confirm that the 8700's Bluetooth will happily talk to a 2006 BMW 330?

Anything I'd be losing moving to a Blackberry other than:
[1]Palm-specific 3rd party apps which I don't use that much
[2] A crappy camera
[3] A stubby antenna

I have no particular reason to switch from a Treo to a Blackberry other than my terminal addiction to gadgets and need, to get something new to play with. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
DuckWingDuck
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

textplus is like T9, it's horrendous and I hate it. One big reason why I never got the 7xxx series.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
Big Boy

[1] I am a Mac User. I see that Blackberry now supports synching with iCal and Addressbook. Since this would be a deal-breaker if it didn't work, can anyone confirm that it does, in fact work well?

[2] When typing email messages, does the 8700 have any predictive text functions or are 3rd party applications available?

(On my Treo I use an app called TextPlus that gives word choices as you type. If I type "st" a little list with words like "start, star, stupendous", etc, pops up. It's a great time saver.)

[3] Can anyone confirm that the 8700's Bluetooth will happily talk to a 2006 BMW 330?

treo sucks. end of story. I watch guys around the office struggling with theirs, phone reception sucks, reboots, ect.

Blackberry synchs with mac via pocketmac. Now entourage synchs via the latest office patch. My 8700c synchs via bluetooth no problem with my 2005 5 series. I have seen no predictive text but then I abhore those kind of things that are "smarter than me". It does capitalize automatically.

Get the BB, it works well.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
bperkins
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Pocketmac works great. Without it I would not have considered owning a Blackberry.

You may want to try searching the Bluetooth forum for the BMW question. Certain it is there. I have used it successful with a Lexus and my LR3. The only problem with the Lexus is a delay from when a call is dialed and the connection with the car. If the person you are calling picks up on the first or second ring you they are waiting for you to respond to their "hello".
Old 03-25-2006, 10:03 PM   #5
utilso245

The bottom-line is Pocket Mac is no where near complete and up to par with its Windows syncing counterpart. I've just gotten to the point where I get so frustrated with it, I only sync my BlackBerry at work. I'm in the process of finalizing my conduit that communicates with my .Mac service on the web, Outlook and Entourage. This way, I can keep all computers and the BlackBerry on the same page. I'm also racking my brain with this funambol OTA utility and SDK, but so far, can't make heads or tails of it like with other programming languages like VBA, Cocoa and .Mac protocols.
I want to test the conduit I have setup to communicate with .Mac and M$es' software and look forward to releasing a Beta on this for other 8700c users in August. Stay tuned!
Old 03-25-2006, 11:10 PM   #6
Stewie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

Not to mention that you need a Windows machine to install software on the BlackBerry if there is not an over the air install option. That being said I had a Treo 650 (unbranded GSM) and moved to a BlackBerry 5 months ago and I am not looking back. I am currently using a 7105T and am looking forward to the 8700 from T-Mobile that should be out in a few weeks. Would I go back to a Treo 650? NEVER!!!
Old 03-25-2006, 11:54 PM   #7
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

Former Cingular Treo 650 user here, switched to a Verizon 7130e and waiting for the Verizon 8700 version and not looking back one bit. GRANTED as in previous post Pocketmac doesn't do close to the job the sync software does on a Windoze cpu, but I just switched from having it sync with iCal and what not to entourage and it works fine. Shitty thing is you can't use a BB for a modem on a Mac either (I've got a 12" pb) so I'm almost considering purchasing a cheap little 12" Dell or something just so I can use that feature (Right now I"m bumming the hotel managers wireless! I used to be able to use my treo) but definatly no looking back AT ALL!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:32 AM   #8
CarlGalgano
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I have used the Treo600 on Sprint and Cingular, the Treo 650 on Cingular and switched to an 8700c about 3 months ago. Despite what Big Boy says, I think the Treo is a terrific device, however, it is really a lousy phone. My 650 dropped calls left and right, but the PDA functionality is awesome. Admittedly, I have lost some functionality with my 8700c, but really love that it is a great phone. I mostly use the PIM features, and a telnet app to connect to the servers in my office. If you use a lot of 3rd party Treo apps, then you may be disappointed with the lack of BB apps, or the price of them. Overall my BB experience has been positive, and while I miss some things about my Treo, I like having a phone that works.

I cant comment on the Mac or BMW/Bluetooth connectivity. My 01 X5 does not support Bluetooth.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:26 AM   #9
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Default 8700c, all around better choice

Your treo issues are certainly nothing new. I just switched from a 700w to an 8700c, far better choice imo, while i will not bash the treo, if e-mail is the main issue then you cannot compare anything to the BB. As far as the blutooth you are all set i have the same ride ( nice choice), had to get an xi, snowy in the northeast, the 8700 is first on their list of compatible BT phones.. good luck and make the switch...
Old 03-26-2006, 10:55 AM   #10
utilso245

I second that, I switched from a Tungsten E and got so sick and tired of the freezing!! I think that while the BlackBerry is limited in terms of playing multimedia content, I ask myself how often did I ever use the Palm for that?! RARELY. Emailing and editing Office documents on the BB are greatly superior, than on the Palm. As far as the Bluetooth syncing, it's tricky, I'm not so sure if they could get that done if they wanted. I've tried searching but it doesn't appear part of the RIM development materials.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:32 PM   #11
Argelius

Thanks all for your thoughts -- all very helpful.
I visited my local Cingular store today and got to hold in my had a non-working 8700 shell that was awkwardly tethered by a giant aluminum vise attached to a cable. Not exactly a great way to sell the device, but I digress...

If you can clairify a couple of things, I'd be most greatful.

[1] With the new PockeMac program, events in iCal and items in Addressbook sync just dandy (including contacts with 2 addresses -- home and work).

[2] You can sync only with a cable, not Bluetooth

[3] The 8700 does not allow DUN connectivity (to use the phone as modem).

[4] When composing emails, there is no predictive text function; i.e. each letter of every word must be keyed in.

I have confirmed via BMW's website that the 8700 is "approved".

One final request: can anyone point me to a URL that elaborates on the PIM functions of the 8700 -- like showing screenshots of the different calendar views and contact views.

Thanks a ton. I'm about 85% of the way to entering the wonderful world of a BB!

Last edited by Argelius; 03-26-2006 at 08:05 PM..
Old 03-26-2006, 07:56 PM   #12
Meatbag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

I'm new to the BB scene and if it wasn't for PocketMac I probably wouldn't have taken the leap. I was able to sync over 2000 contacts with my contact manager... Now Contact without any problem. I use Entourage for my calander proggy and that also worked perfectly.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:13 PM   #13
Skyccord

Model: 8310
Default Re:

I am a fellow 2006 330i owner with navi because I know it makes a difference and an 8700c owner. Not only does the 8700c work with the car but it syncs your address book as well. I just got this unit last week and before that I had a 7290 with bluetooth capabilities. The 7290 couldn't sync the address book until we all found the work around with the Hong Kong 4.1 OS. But yea 8700c beautiful phone I love it. You won't be disappointed.
Closed Thread