Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
cooperpwc
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers
Default Problem with 8700 in reboot loop

Please Login to Remove!

...because in my experience warranties are gold on these units.

EDIT: FOLLOWING UP ON MY PROBLEM AND THEREFORE RESURRECTING THIS NOW RECOGNISED AS INAPPROPRIATELY TITLED THREAD. WARNING: THIS THREAD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH EBAY ALTHOUGH IT DOES EXPLAIN WHY WARRANTIES ARE A GOOD THING.

Here's my latest problem (i.e. the real reason for this post).

I woke up two nights ago to find my 8700 alternating between the solid red LED and the rotating hourglass on white screen. Back and forth. Removing the battery solved it. Then I awoke later to the same problem and removing the battery would not fix it. I even waited more than an hour but it returned to the 'continuous reboot' cycle when I reinserted the battery.

I solved the problem by wiping the unit and reinstalling the Bharti OS. (If anyone wants to know how to do that with a disabled Blackberry using just the Desktop Manager, I can explain). Problem solved...

...except that I woke up last night to the exact same problem! Had to wipe the unit and reinstall the OS (Rogers this time - life without Zen - very strange).

So I think that I may have to return this unit to Rogers. Fortunately it's under warranty. It's working for now but I dread the arrival of the night....

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be? The common factor (perhaps coincidence) in the two occurences is that it was charging overnight. Possible a red herring but: I suspect that in each case it had reached 100% charge.

Last edited by cooperpwc; 06-19-2006 at 10:04 AM..
Old 05-31-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

cooper,

are you using the 8700 cradle from Seidio. I am having the same problem, although not as bad as your case when I have the unit in the cradle.

Let me know.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
cooperpwc

Mine hasn't arrived yet so no, that isn't the problem. But you imply something that I am also thinking... this may somehow relate to the charging circuitry.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:58 PM   #4
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

well I also just started using a usb hub last week. My bb usb was plugged into that last night until I noticed it rebooting (the cycle you described). I quickly unplugged it from the hub and plugged it straight into my pc. Havent noticed it since. The usb hub is not self powered therefore I'm hoping that swapping the bb usb back into the pc will fix this issue.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

It may have something to do with the prolonged charging connection. I never charge for longer than it takes which is normally about 45 minutes to an hour if plugged to the wall charger or about two and a half hours if USB connected depending on the actual charge on the unit. I normally do this about every three days (I have the exteded battery on my 7250). Try charging it when you get home and doing it only for the time that is needed. I realize that the unit is suppossed to shut down the charge when it reaches its capacity but I never believe it is wise to leave it plugged into a charger for a long period of time. Please come back and let us know what happens if you charge it the way I suggested. Good Luck.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 05-31-2006, 06:02 PM   #6
cooperpwc

Interesting... I have no problems when I'm connected to and charging on USB (although these are early days of this recent issue).
The problem is when I'm using the OEM electrical charger. I wonder: might I have a faulty charger? And is it frying my 8700?

Kon Tiki, just read your post. I am going to experiment with lesser charging.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
allenranger2
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g

I charge mine overnight...never have problems. Sorry Cooper.

BB 8700g & 9000 Bold AT&T
Old 05-31-2006, 06:57 PM   #8
cooperpwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenranger2
I charge mine overnight...never have problems. Sorry Cooper.
That's what I've always done too. This problem has come out of nowhere.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:14 PM   #9
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Same here! I've been using the stock ac charger.. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. Mine usually charges all night but I also have it set to auto off at 11:00pm and auto on at 6:00am
Old 05-31-2006, 07:57 PM   #10
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

I normally charge with the ac adapter but when I got my 8700 it didn't come with one (another reason not to buy off ebay...). I have been using the usb charger since receiving the 8700 with no problems until last week. I received the hub and the 8700 cradle the same day so it will be hard to pinpoint which is actually the perpetraitor. Thus far I've seen no problems with having the usb connected to the pc instead of the hub so I'm hoping I have singled out the hub. I'll try it for a few days and get back with what I have found out.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:51 PM   #11
chichiliano
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
It may have something to do with the prolonged charging connection. I never charge for longer than it takes which is normally about 45 minutes to an hour if plugged to the wall charger or about two and a half hours if USB connected depending on the actual charge on the unit. I normally do this about every three days (I have the exteded battery on my 7250). Try charging it when you get home and doing it only for the time that is needed. I realize that the unit is suppossed to shut down the charge when it reaches its capacity but I never believe it is wise to leave it plugged into a charger for a long period of time. Please come back and let us know what happens if you charge it the way I suggested. Good Luck.
i keep my charging for all night every couple of days and it is totally fine.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:39 AM   #12
cooperpwc

First update: I turned my BB off and charged it overnight. Woke up middle of night to a solid green LED and unplugged it. It was fine in the morning. So far, so good.
This weekend I will test charging it all night turned off as well as charging all night turned on.
Another interesting question: if the continuous reboot is a reaction to an overcharged battery, will leaving it in that state but unplugged eventually cause it to right itself? I'll find out...
Old 06-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #13
ragin cajun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: cingular

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Sounds like it may be a hub issue. There may not be enough power running through the hub to actually charge the bb. It would depend on what else you have plugged into the hub and what usb ports you have. I know usb 2.0 ports seem faster and therefor may have more power coming from them. Just a thought.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:01 PM   #14
cooperpwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Sounds like it may be a hub issue. There may not be enough power running through the hub to actually charge the bb. It would depend on what else you have plugged into the hub and what usb ports you have. I know usb 2.0 ports seem faster and therefor may have more power coming from them. Just a thought.
I'm having the problem only when using the original OEM charger. Charging on USB (like right this moment at work) is no problem at all. So I'm thinking that the problem is too much electricity, not too little. My tests this weekend may be revealing.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #15
cooperpwc

Well it does seem to be a charging issue. I did fine for a week because I did not leave it attached to the OEM charger all night. Last night I did and I woke up to find the Blackberry okay so I unplugged it. Then when I went to delete an email later it crashed. Again had to do a full OS reload to fix it.
USB charging is obviously causing no problem. Not sure if my OEM charger is to blame or the charging circuitry in my 8700. Anyway, I think that i can live with this. Just no more charging overnight.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #16
kstew
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

So far, it doesn't sound like an Ebay problem like you indicated in your header.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #17
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew
So far, it doesn't sound like an Ebay problem like you indicated in your header.

If you took the time to read beyond the header you would have seen that Cooper was just saying that the warranty would come in handy if he had a problem with the unit.
...and I quote cooper:
...because in my experience warranties are gold on these units.

Ebay=no warranty.

read, think,think again, post.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #18
cooperpwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew
Indeed... like I said immediately afterwards "...because in my experience warranties are gold on these units."
It's a catchy title intended to capture attention and since I answer my share of the questions on here I figure I'm entitled to abuse poetic license just a little bit now and then.
It is also however an appropriate warning: I'm on my third 8700 and now it has this problem. If you buy one of those great "unlocked" deals on eBay, the situation is caveat emptor. I love the 8700 but it is, to put it nicely, "delicate". A warranty is recommended.
EDIT: johnfromphilly gets it.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #19
philhu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbblc
cooper,

are you using the 8700 cradle from Seidio. I am having the same problem, although not as bad as your case when I have the unit in the cradle.

Let me know.

I am seeing the cradle problem too.

I get 'Unrecognized usb device' on both cradles I bought.

Maybe that is why there is a VDC 5v connector on the back of the cradle? The power through the hub to the device is marginal.

If I use it standalone, for just charging, 1 works fine, one is intermittent.

phil

Last edited by philhu; 06-07-2006 at 02:25 PM..
Old 06-07-2006, 02:40 PM   #20
TagsVC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

i use an OEM charger @ home and when i am by my grrl i use her MOTO RAZR charger and i have no prob even if its plugged in all night.

tried the cradle, ended up throwing it on ebay when the prob started
Closed Thread