Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 02:36 AM   #1
lmlloyd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Ramble causing error 411.

Please Login to Remove!

I have no idea how common this is, but I thought I should post it in case anyone else was having the problem. My girlfriend just recently got a new 7290 on T-Mobile. It worked perfectly for a couple days when she first got it, and then she asked for my help customizing it. After installing some software she started having several problems. The two most notable being a 411 device error that would pop up occasionally, and the device randomly telling her the battery needed to be replaced even though it had plenty of charge. Aside from that it also would occasionally just reset, or turn itself off. I tried removing just the non-standard software, and reinstalling/repairing the OS, but the problems persisted even after the additionally software had been removed.

So, I completely wiped the device, and put a clean install of the 4.1 OS as downloaded from T-Mobile's site. The device then worked for three days without a single reset, error, or incident of any other kind. At that point I started reinstalling software in a very controlled fashion, testing after each install to make sure the device was functioning properly. As soon as I installed Ramble, any use of the browser would cause the system to crash. While testing, I also got the message that I needed to replace a fully charged battery.

I completely wiped the handheld and reinstalled a fresh OS again, and everything seemed fine. I then installed the additional software, minus Ramble, and everything still seemed fine. I am going to watch it closely for the next few days, but at this point it would seem that the latest version of as downloaded from the link they send you when you register corrupts files on the T-Mobile version of the 7290 4.1 OS.

If anyone is getting these symptoms, it might be worth it to see if Ramble has ever been installed on the handheld before you assume it is a hardware problem.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:28 AM   #2
richardsbd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: The 'new' AT&T (formerly known as Cingular)

Any follow-up on this? I am having Device Error: 411 issues, and it seems to happen every time the key is pressed (although the user reports that the device has also been re-booting randomly)...

user and maintainer of a bunch of BB8700s

current project - nordoxandsoaps.com | View my LinkedIn profile
Old 10-02-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
lmlloyd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Replace the unit! I never found out what the problem with her unit actually was, but all sorts of things caused 411 errors on it, and it didn't stop until we replaced the unit.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
dumzo

Model: 7290
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

s\Same problem for me. The problem is based in the radio and I've read about the exact same problme a bunch of times on the internet. Mine only crashes when I have the radio on. So basically I can use it for nnothing but a calendar, awesome.
Closed Thread