BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
ollywompus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default What Are People Talking About??? (Won't Answer when Scrollball touched)

Please Login to Remove!

So I keep reading these threads where people are saying that if the scrollball is touched during an incoming call, then it silences the ringer, or sends to VM. One poster even said this makes the phone 'worthless'. Umm, this isn't true on my phone, so maybe y'all are need new ones.

When I have an incoming call, I get the same thing that pops up on all modern blackberries: Send and End keys to scroll between and select. When I roll my pearl scrollball around, it goes back and forth between the two, but it doesn't select either one... that would take a press of the ball itself (which takes a fair amount of pressure), or a press of the 'end' key (which is true with every candybar phone in existence). The scrollball also doesn't effect the ring tone... it keeps ringing regardless.

So what are y'all talking about?

-olly
YIM: seattleolly
Old 09-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
PhoneHand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9500
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollywompus
So I keep reading these threads where people are saying that if the scrollball is touched during an incoming call, then it silences the ringer, or sends to VM. One poster even said this makes the phone 'worthless'. Umm, this isn't true on my phone, so maybe y'all are need new ones.

When I have an incoming call, I get the same thing that pops up on all modern blackberries: Send and End keys to scroll between and select. When I roll my pearl scrollball around, it goes back and forth between the two, but it doesn't select either one... that would take a press of the ball itself (which takes a fair amount of pressure), or a press of the 'end' key (which is true with every candybar phone in existence). The scrollball also doesn't effect the ring tone... it keeps ringing regardless.

-olly
WHat we mean is when the thing is in your pocket mine doesnt ring instantly when its in my pocket it vibrates for a second then rings. so if im walking and its moving in my pants and the phone phone rings. and it accidentaly scrolls to end (not clicks end) just highlights it, it mutes the ringer and you dont know a call came in. ITs happend more than once to me
Old 09-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
ollywompus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneHand
WHat we mean is when the thing is in your pocket mine doesnt ring instantly when its in my pocket it vibrates for a second then rings. so if im walking and its moving in my pants and the phone phone rings. and it accidentaly scrolls to end (not clicks end) just highlights it, it mutes the ringer and you dont know a call came in. ITs happend more than once to me
Again, this doesn't happen on my phone. When it scrolls to 'end', it still rings. On Vibe+Tone, it vibrates twice, then rings. On Tone only it just rings. I don't have any issues with it muting at all. This is tested on 3 different profiles, with different ringtones, one set to Tone only, two set to Vibe+Tone.

I don't know why your phone mutes, but I have not been able to reproduce any circumstance where scrolling to the 'end' option mutes it on incoming call.

-olly
Old 09-13-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
sanjeevjoshi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default Exactly, probably a too sensitive trackball...

As I indicated in the posts elsewhere, I have tried all sorts of things to try and recreate the issue of BB not ringing while in pocket. Happy to say I dont have this issue. Somebody did an experiment lowering the sensitivity to 50% from the default 70%. Mine works fine with the default settings, never had this issue in 2 days...
Old 09-13-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
mariana881

PIN: 24218562
Carrier: tmo

From what I understood people were saying that this happens when their keyboard is locked. I have not been able to test it out myself yet though.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:30 PM   #6
ollywompus
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've tested this with keyboard locked, keyboard unlocked, scrollball at full sensitivity, scrollball at 50% sensitivity (where I prefer to keep it), tune only, vibe + tune, in my pocket, out of my pocket manually scrolling the ball... not once has it muted on me.

-olly
Old 09-13-2006, 03:34 PM   #7
nickbee

Carrier: t-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollywompus

-olly
Not sure what you are doing (or smoking) but any movement up or down on the track ball makes my 8100 stop vibrating and ringing…
Old 09-13-2006, 03:36 PM   #8
ollywompus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbee
Not sure what you are doing (or smoking) but any movement up or down on the track ball makes my 8100 stop vibrating and ringing…
Lol, I smoke some pretty good stuff actually, but that's not the issue here. I'm telling you that moving my scrollball while a call is incoming does not do anything except toggle between the Green Send and the Red End.

-olly
Old 09-13-2006, 03:46 PM   #9
nickbee

Wow,, now if we can all download the bug that is in your software we’d be set! Maybe it’s a glitch in the matrix…
Old 09-13-2006, 03:46 PM   #10
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

It should toggle you from answer to ignore not send or end. Maybe it is different with different themes. When my pearl selects ignore it does not vib or ring.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #11
nickbee

just for the hell of it,,, check what version software in on your 8100...Option Icon> About..
Old 09-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #12
ollywompus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371
It should toggle you from answer to ignore not send or end. Maybe it is different with different themes. When my pearl selects ignore it does not vib or ring.
It is Answer and Ignore, you are right, but they have the 'send' and 'end' key pictures next to them.

At any rate, not sure why mine works and you all's doesn't, but I don't have a problem with it.

-olly
Old 09-13-2006, 03:58 PM   #13
GrantMethePower
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMOBILE

What theme are you using, olly? i'm wondering if its an issue with which theme is enabled...i know its doubtful but i'm just trying to find out possibilities
Old 09-13-2006, 04:03 PM   #14
ollywompus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Software Version is the standard: 4.2.0.42
Using the T-Mobile Zen Theme

Sorry guys, I don't know why mine is different (not that I'm complaining lol).

-olly
Old 09-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #15
nickbee

for the hell of it I just tried the same thing with the T-Mob Zen,,, same results here..
Old 09-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #16
ollywompus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok, since you guys have me thinking i'm nuts now, I tested it 5 times in a row, same configuration, repeating the same steps.

My phone is set to vib then ring. I call my phone from my work line, and as soon as the call comes in, I roll the track ball back and forth between the two options.

1st time, no problem
2nd time, no problem,
3rd time, no problem,
4th time, no problem,
5th time, all of a sudden it did exactly what you guys are complaining about.

So I ran it again, same deal,

1st time, no problem
2nd time, no problem
3rd time, bingo, we have a problem
4th time, no problem
5th time, again, we have a problem.

So mine is apparently at random.

Lol, I dont' care that much, because I don't use voice minutes very much, I use my bb primarily for email, sms, web, etc., but I can see where this would be a problem for you all.

Anyway, there's my .02 cents.

-olly
Old 09-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #17
jasondmilch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130c

just a wild shot in the dark, but could this have anything to do with the carrier you are using. I have this problem too and I am on Cingular with an Unlocked (obviously) 8100.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #18
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

OK I switched to the zen theme and now the phone still rings when I move the Pearl. Thing is I hate the Zen theme because I cannot have all my icons there.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:21 PM   #19
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Well I finally organized my Zen theme and got it to where I like it. We will all have to use this theme if we pocket our Blackberry until they release a fix for the other themes.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:23 PM   #20
nickbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371
Well I finally organized my Zen theme and got it to where I like it. We will all have to use this theme if we pocket our Blackberry until they release a fix for the other themes.
Which Zen theme??
Closed Thread