BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 11:14 PM   #1
bigmutt

Model: 8100
Default Is it true that TMobile will give unlock code just by asking?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello:
Some sellers on ebay have said that their 8100 from TMobile can be unlocked just by asking TMobile for the unlock code.
I need to buy an unlocked model because I'm with a different carrier, namely TelCel in Mexico;
so I'm trying to figure out which is the best way to go;

And I don't even know if there are ever any potential problems with phones originally locked to a specific carrier but then unlocked;

And then there's the unlock services listing themselves on ebay and elsewhere: charging $50 to $100 for the service.

any suggestions? thanks.

Last edited by bigmutt; 10-02-2006 at 11:41 PM..
Old 10-02-2006, 11:24 PM   #2
kasperapd
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Yes, but I'm pretty sure you have to have an existing account with them and be in good standing for at least 90 days.

Please try a Search
Old 10-02-2006, 11:25 PM   #3
Ljay
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmutt
Hello:
Some sellers on ebay have said that their 8100 from TMobile can be unlocked just by asking TMobile for the unlock code.
I need to buy an unlocked model because I'm with a different carrier;

any suggestions? thanks.
I'm a long time T-Mo user and I had it done after my last contract expired...doubt they would do it for a non T-Mo subscriber. This phone is really hot rite now...suggest you buy from seller with lots of pos feeback or wait for a price drop...jus my .02

Ljay
Old 10-02-2006, 11:28 PM   #4
paulyras

Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Hello:
I need to buy an unlocked model because I'm with a different carrier;

any suggestions? thanks.
T-Mobile has given me unlock codes for my last two blackberrys and I would anticipate would give me the code for my current Pearl. That said, I have kept an account for about 2 and a half years, and have asked nicely, while maintaining a contract, only because I was going out of the country and wanted to be able to use my phone with another carrier if neccessary while I was there (though frankly, I have just used T-Mo roaming anyway).

If you don't have an account, I would highly doubt they would give you an unlock code. The carriers take a loss on the phones, and I would doubt that they would do it out of kindness. I would recommend only buying one which is already unlocked if you need to go with another carrier. If nothing else, you avoid the debate about who's problem it is if T-Mo decides not to unlock it.

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:01 AM   #5
froggy55

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperapd
Yes, but I'm pretty sure you have to have an existing account with them and be in good standing for at least 90 days.

T-Mobile will provide one unlock code after 3 months of service and if you have multiple lines they will provide one very three months after the initial request. All you need to do is call customer care to let them know you want it and they will process your request and e-mail you the code with directions (average turn around time is 3 buiss. days).
Old 10-03-2006, 02:51 AM   #6
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

I had AT&T as a cell provider, and was generously given a T-Mobile BlackBerry (I had a company provided text only BB at the time). It took two visits to the T-Mobile store to get a phone number, and then a LONG wait on hold, but I did ultimately get the unlock code. I had it happen a second time with pretty much the same results.

This was about three to four years ago.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:32 AM   #7
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy55
T-Mobile will provide one unlock code after 3 months of service and if you have multiple lines they will provide one very three months after the initial request. All you need to do is call customer care to let them know you want it and they will process your request and e-mail you the code with directions (average turn around time is 3 buiss. days).

cool.. thanks for the info :D

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 10-03-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
casmer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
And I don't even know if there are ever any potential problems with phones originally locked to a specific carrier but then unlocked;
There are no issues with using an unlocked phone on any other carrier with one exception. If you break the phone you are pretty much SOL unless you buy third party insurance. I had an 8700c unlocked and running on Tmo. I recently broke it. Tmo won't help because it is a cingular phone. Cingular won't help because I am a Tmo customer. And blackberry says I have to deal with a provider. So, pretty much screwed on it at this point.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:43 AM   #9
Gibeon

The following is from T-Mobile's website and expands on Froggy55's post...

SIM Unlock Requests:

T-Mobile customers must meet the following eligibility requirements before contacting Customer Service to request your SIM Unlock code.

The following restrictions apply to all account types:

* T-Mobile can provide SIM Unlock Codes only for handsets sold by T-Mobile USA, with the exception of Danger Sidekick devices. T-Mobile can obtain SIM Unlock Codes for companies acquired by t-Mobile USA (VoiceStream, Aerial, Omnipoint, SOL, Digiph, PCS One, and Powertel).
* SIM Unlock Codes will only be provided after your account has been active for 90 days. Only one unlock code may be provided per customer every 90 days.
* No SIM Unlock Codes will be provided within the 14-Day Buyer's Remorse period. Customers who purchase phones in CA California or via Amazon.com are granted a 30-Day Buyer's Remorse Period.
* SIM Unlock Codes are not always available from the Manufacturer. However, T-Mobile will make a dedicated effort to obtain the SIM Unlock code. Note: Other restrictions may apply depending on account type.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:45 AM   #10
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

I just requested one for the 8100. I meet all the criteria other than the phone is still in the 14 day period. We will see if there are any issues.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #11
fiubc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I requested one for the first pearl I got the same day. Next day got an email with the code and it worked fine. I just changed out 4 8700's for 8100's yesterday and called those in last night. Should have the codes anytime now.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:01 AM   #12
jrdul6748
Thumbs Must Hurt

I remember having to unlock my father's phone with T-Mobile, and all I had to tell them is that he was going overseas and had a different SIM card for different countries and they did it just fine.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:25 AM   #13
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

I just received my SIM unlock for my newly purchased 8100. It took about 24 hours exactly. I called in to the regular t-mobile number and requested the unlock telling them that in two weeks I was going overseas and I wanted to use a prepaid sim card in the phone.

The people on the phone both responded "that was a good reason" and asked for the IMEI code and my email.

About 24 hours later I get an email with the unlock and instructions from T-Mobile -- the return address is [email address].

I have been a subscriber for about 11 months, no unpaid balances and have never requested an unlock code from t-mobile before.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #14
flar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

I called 611 on Monday, spent 6 minutes on the phone and had my unlock code by email early on Wednesday. The only info I gave them was the IMEI number so you don't need the PIN, but you do need to be a customer in good standing and verify your password/personal info.

BTW, in contrast to what others were saying, I'm still in my 14 day buyers remorse period and yet I got the unlock code just the same. I imagine if I return it, they can probably relock it for the next customer or just not worry about it.

Also, I once returned a phone that had gone bad about 3 weeks after I got it. I did a handset exchange at a local retail store and told them that I had unlocked it and wanted to unlock the replacement and so they noted on my account that I had returned the unlocked handset. I ended up not doing the unlock on the replacement until much later so I can't be sure the note helped, but T-Mobile has always gone out of their way to help me out with things like this so I'm sure it would have been fine.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:22 AM   #15
BlissX
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar

Also, I once returned a phone that had gone bad about 3 weeks after I got it. I did a handset exchange at a local retail store and told them that I had unlocked it and wanted to unlock the replacement and so they noted on my account that I had returned the unlocked handset. I ended up not doing the unlock on the replacement until much later so I can't be sure the note helped, but T-Mobile has always gone out of their way to help me out with things like this so I'm sure it would have been fine.
Once unlocked, always unlocked.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:21 PM   #16
MorningZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

To give another "success" story, my boss got his Pearl unlocked and working on his Cingular account

Different than above though, he was only a customer of T-Mobile for 13 days (from the time he purchased the phone), so that goes against the T-Mobile site's "SIM Unlock Codes will only be provided after your account has been active for 90 days" and "No SIM Unlock Codes will be provided within the 14-Day Buyer's Remorse period"

I guess more than anything it all depends on who you get on the phone over there
Closed Thread