Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
nath_19

Model: PEARL
Carrier: tmobile
Default New Black Berry PEARL User

Please Login to Remove!

Hello Everyone,

Got my Blackberry Pearl from T-Mobile, my question is can I use the internet browser to browse the internet with a PAY-PER-USE method and not pay a monthly basis, I only check my emails from yahoo and I can also access my work email from yahoo.

The distributor from T-Mobile said that I cannot access the internet by pay-per-use, you know like cingular you are being billed by the kilobytes you transferred.

Please guys I have 14days left inorder for me to return the device, I really want a blackberry but I do not want to pay amonth to month basis for the internet i just want it ti be pay per use.

I am also a new blackberry user so can you guys help me out on what I can do with my blackberry pearl?

Thanks and I love the forum !!
Old 11-09-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
krmtdfrg25
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

You cannot access the internet on a Pay per Use basis because you have to be registered to the Blackberry Service in order to use the internet. It will not work unless its turned on.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by krmtdfrg25
You cannot access the internet on a Pay per Use basis because you have to be registered to the Blackberry Service in order to use the internet. It will not work unless its turned on.
Correct. No BlackBerry plan, no internet use.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

I recommend keeping the unlimited Blackberry data plan. It least you don't have to worry about using too much data.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #5
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: iFone
Carrier: AT&T™

Welcome!
Old 11-09-2006, 08:49 PM   #6
MythmbHurts
CrackBerry Addict

Yes the unlimited for $20 a month is the best way to go. Emails Web browsing thats what the pearl is all about..
BB 8100 4.2.0.69
Old 11-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #7
renatoreyes
Knows Where the Search Button Is

If your not using the internet.and email system on your blackberry then you should look for another phone. The blackberry is used for data/business... or if you like to surf the web alot and stuff like that. If your not using your blackberry to its full extent.. then your wasting money on it ... just my opinion nath_19
Old 11-09-2006, 11:54 PM   #8
weegee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Yeah I agree with renato, this isn't a PERL it's a Pearl. Maybe Motorola has a phone for you. I hear the V3t has EDGE which might work with the 5.99 plan.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:49 AM   #9
red_octane_aero
Thumbs Must Hurt

V3t does not have edge.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:21 AM   #10
secrecyguy

If you do decide to go to a different phone with a cheaper plan, keep this in mind, T-mobile have the cheapest price for unlimited data.

I feel you are better off keeping what you have now. If you do switch, just be careful how much data you use.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:30 AM   #11
teabag

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoreyes
If your not using the internet.and email system on your blackberry then you should look for another phone. The blackberry is used for data/business... or if you like to surf the web alot and stuff like that. If your not using your blackberry to its full extent.. then your wasting money on it ... just my opinion nath_19
I would not agree with this. The Pearl was BlackBerry's dive into the consumer market. Hence the media functions. So what if he doesn't spend hours on the keypad typing out emails... he's still got a music player, movie player, internet browsing, second-to-none PIM functions, Instant Messaging, a qwerty-like layout, a nice screen, a great interface, a beautiful design, etc...
Old 11-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #12
secrecyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabag
I would not agree with this. The Pearl was BlackBerry's dive into the consumer market. Hence the media functions. So what if he doesn't spend hours on the keypad typing out emails... he's still got a music player, movie player, internet browsing, second-to-none PIM functions, Instant Messaging, a qwerty-like layout, a nice screen, a great interface, a beautiful design, etc...
ahh... be careful... if he doesn't have the Blackberry anytime minutes plan which most likely he doesn't, the Instant Messaging that comes with the 8100 uses SMS (text messaging) so he will get charge per message... So he needs to download Ramble or Yak-On if he wants Instant messaging since those two program use data.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:48 PM   #13
nath_19

Thanks everyone for your quick response,

YUP IWILL KEEP THE PEARL and spoke with TMOBILE I will also get the $20 plan for the unlimited internet because I think it is worth it for me since I will be also using this one for work emails and stuff.

What is the best cheap accessory to protect my pearl from scratches and that stuff?

How about applications ? where can I download free applications ?

Can you also give me tips and tricks that I can do with my pearl.

Sorry guys a newbie here.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #14
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nath_19
Hello Everyone,

Got my Blackberry Pearl from T-Mobile, my question is can I use the internet browser to browse the internet with a PAY-PER-USE method and not pay a monthly basis, I only check my emails from yahoo and I can also access my work email from yahoo.

!!
What you should do is sign up for the unlimited data plan for a couple of months. Unlike your phone contract, the $20 data plan is a month to month service, so you can cancel it at any time.

Try it out for two months and if you find you are not using the e-mail or browser enough, then cancel the service. I mean, it's only $20 extra a month. And if you are willing to pay as you use for limited browser use, then the price difference is even less. For example, if you are willing to spend $10 monthly on a per access plan, then what we are talking about here is a debate over $10 between T-Mo's $20 unlimited data plan and some download plan like other carriers may have.

I suspect once you start getting e-mails via the Pearl, you will get addicted and keep it.

Oh, to get e-mail via the browser, such cannot be done without the $20 data plan. BB e-mail service comes with the data plan, so makes no sense to try an get separate services [which T-Mo does not have anyway].

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-10-2006 at 07:30 PM..
Old 11-10-2006, 07:01 PM   #15
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nath_19
Thanks everyone for your quick response,

YUP IWILL KEEP THE PEARL and spoke with TMOBILE I will also get the $20 plan for the unlimited internet because I think it is worth it for me since I will be also using this one for work emails and stuff.

What is the best cheap accessory to protect my pearl from scratches and that stuff?

How about applications ? where can I download free applications ?

Can you also give me tips and tricks that I can do with my pearl.

Sorry guys a newbie here.
You get a pass on some things for being a newbie, but answers to your other questions are contained in many threads within. Read them. It's interesting and fun reading.

For example, all the talk on headsets, adapters, bluetooth, cases, headphones, earphones, screen protectors, applications, video, MP3.... it's all in here.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #16
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
You get a pass on some things for being a newbie, but answers to your other questions are contained in many threads within. Read them. It's interesting and fun reading.

For example, all the talk on headsets, adapters, bluetooth, cases, headphones, earphones, screen protectors, applications, video, MP3.... it's all in here.
Thank you for taking care of my light work.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:39 PM   #17
Picasosz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile-Verizon

welcome nath_19
Old 11-11-2006, 11:29 PM   #18
lonnielove
Thumbs Must Hurt

god, san fran you almost had me almost buying a second unlimited plan from t-mobile,are you a sale man.
yea welcome nath 19
Old 11-13-2006, 06:51 PM   #19
nath_19

Thank you all guys !

This forum really helps ! cant wait for my blacberry to be activated.
Closed Thread