Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
southbayyouth
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Default A few questions about the 8703e

Please Login to Remove!

I have spent the greater part of the day on this forum trying to customize my new 8703e, and found lots of great things.

I have a couple more quick questions:

1. Tethered internet: Is this a service plan feature, or can you use tethered internet automatically with a regular phone/data internet plan?

2. When i launch the blackberry desktop software, and plug in my blackberry, it verifies that the blackberry is connected without an issue, but the window reads as "disabled". What does the disabled mean?

3. I assume that it is possible to upgrade from the .64 to a 1gb or a 2gb. When doing so, is it as simple as just replacing the card, or is it alot more complicated having to reinstall software, etc.

4. Finally, I am looking for a piece of software that i can install on my PC that i can keep an address book and a back up of the blackberry stuff on. I don't want to use outlook.

Basically all i want to be able to do is this... Open a caledar on my PC enter a date/time/meeting and sync with the blackberry. The same with the address book, etc. It seems like that should come with a blackberry.... it's like buying an ipod and not having access to itunes software to put the music on the machine I do have the sync software installed on the PC.

Perhaps this has something to do with my question #2 of it being disabled?

Yes, i did searches on these questions and found related things, but nothing that directly answered my questions.

Last edited by southbayyouth; 11-22-2006 at 09:20 PM..
Old 11-22-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
untjoker
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbayyouth
I have spent the greater part of the day on this forum trying to customize my new 8703e, and found lots of great things.

1. Tethered internet: Is this a service plan feature, or can you use tethered internet automatically with a regular phone/data internet plan?

2. When i launch the blackberry desktop software, and plug in my blackberry, it verifies that the blackberry is connected without an issue, but the window reads as "disabled". What does the disabled mean?

3. I assume that it is possible to upgrade from the .64 to a 1gb or a 2gb. When doing so, is it as simple as just replacing the card, or is it alot more complicated having to reinstall software, etc.

4. Finally, I am looking for a piece of software that i can install on my PC that i can keep an address book and a back up of the blackberry stuff on. I don't want to use outlook.

Basically all i want to be able to do is this... Open a caledar on my PC enter a date/time/meeting and sync with the blackberry. The same with the address book, etc. It seems like that should come with a blackberry.... it's like buying an ipod and not having access to itunes software to put the music on the machine I do have the sync software installed on the PC.

Yes, i did searches on these questions and found related things, but nothing that directly answered my questions.

As long as you have unlimited data, you can use the tethered modem option with Sprint and Verizon. You cannot upgrade memory on a 8703, only a Pearl and the upcoming 8800.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:43 PM   #3
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:

1. Yes you can use it as a modem
2. Not sure what you mean... It says connected AND disabled???
3. No can upgrade the memory
4. Thats what Desktop manager does
Old 11-23-2006, 12:29 PM   #4
southbayyouth

I still don't see that on the desktop software. All i see the desktop software do is act as a intercessor allowing data to be send to and from the computer.

I am looking for a piece of software for the PC desktop that I can click on an icon, open up a calendar, enter dates for meetings. Enter address info.

Then when I sync the blackberry to the computer, it will add my dates and meetings to the blackberry. I know that the blackberry desktop software can sync the info. I'm just looking for a piece of software that is compatable with sync system and the blackberry.

So if the blackberry desktop software has this ability, I would thrilled, but when i open the software, there are only three options. Load Sync Back up. I am able to back up the files to the PC, but I can't edit the back up files on my PC b/c the file is not recognizable and I can't open it.

So i'm just looking for the name of a software that can do this besides outlook.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:40 PM   #5
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
I still don't see that on the desktop software. All i see the desktop software do is act as a intercessor allowing data to be send to and from the computer.

I am looking for a piece of software for the PC desktop that I can click on an icon, open up a calendar, enter dates for meetings. Enter address info.

Then when I sync the blackberry to the computer, it will add my dates and meetings to the blackberry. I know that the blackberry desktop software can sync the info. I'm just looking for a piece of software that is compatable with sync system and the blackberry.

So if the blackberry desktop software has this ability, I would thrilled, but when i open the software, there are only three options. Load Sync Back up. I am able to back up the files to the PC, but I can't edit the back up files on my PC b/c the file is not recognizable and I can't open it.

So i'm just looking for the name of a software that can do this besides outlook.
In desktop manager, under configure intellisync, you'll find the software that's supported besides Outlook.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:51 PM   #6
kmcx8

Model: none
Default Cost of phone

Verizon and Sprint both offer the 8703e. At Verizon, the cost is $249.99 with a 2-year commitment. At Sprint, the cost is $199.99 with a 2-year commitment. On eBay, one vendor is promoting the 8703e at no cost with a 2-year Sprint signup. Is anyone familiar with this deal, and/or knows why/how Verizon and Sprint charge different rates?

I'm considering going to this phone after using a Samsung i600 flip smartphone for about four years...
Old 11-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
southbayyouth

whbuss. thanks got it. Lotus will work great. thanks.

kmxc8: not sure ifyou were trying to post in this thread or in a brand new thread. But anyway, I saw that guy on ebay too. I called and left 3 messages for him, he never called back. I think he works for a sprint dealer and only can do his 'promotion' within a certain area. ie: he was located on the east coast and i was on the west coast. I assume that's why he didn't call back. B/C he has positive feedback. not sure if that was helpful or not.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:15 PM   #8
mark0341
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
PIN: E Tree's

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106)

Alltel is selling the 8703e $249.99 with a 2 year contract.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #9
hedger48

Model: 8700e
Carrier: verizon
Default tethered with Verizon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by untjoker
As long as you have unlimited data, you can use the tethered modem option with Sprint and Verizon. You cannot upgrade memory on a 8703, only a Pearl and the upcoming 8800.
I have unlimited data, however Vzw tells me I need to pay additional $15 to used as a tethered modem. Is there a way around this?
Old 12-20-2006, 12:06 PM   #10
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
It seems like that should come with a blackberry.... it's like buying an ipod and not having access to itunes software to put the music on the machine I do have the sync software installed on the PC.
Sort of. Except that Apple makes iTunes as well as the iPod. I'd much rather have the option to choose which PIM I sync to rather than be stuck with RIM's (nonexistent) PIM.[
Quote:
Desktop Manager's backup utility is specifically designed for backing up your Blackberry. Of course, if you're syncing to a PIM then you already have a backup of sorts. However, you can fully (or selectively) back up your BB with the DTM utility.

Last edited by takeshi; 12-20-2006 at 12:09 PM..
Old 12-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #11
matthewk24
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

To tether a Vzw 8703 you have to pay the $15 BB Connect fee and have unlimited data. Essentially you have to pay the same price you would for an Aircard, $60 service per month. BB is $45 for unlimited data and $15 for the BB connect, tether.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #12
MrSanc8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: Head
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk24
To tether a Vzw 8703 you have to pay the $15 BB Connect fee and have unlimited data. Essentially you have to pay the same price you would for an Aircard, $60 service per month. BB is $45 for unlimited data and $15 for the BB connect, tether.
Damn...Verizon may have the best network out there. But they always find a way to stick to the end user.

Verizon always charges for other services that other carriers offer for free. Even to put mp3 files on Verizon phones is a hassle.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:03 PM   #13
Tri-Tip
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf05
Damn...Verizon may have the best network out there. But they always find a way to stick to the end user.

Verizon always charges for other services that other carriers offer for free. Even to put mp3 files on Verizon phones is a hassle.
I think $15 a month is more than fair.

I've had a Blackberry with them for 3 years, now with the new model, for only $15 more, I have somewhat-high-speed for my laptop wherever I go.