BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 02:07 AM   #1
yaoming7511

Model: 8100c
Carrier: AT&T
Unhappy Pearl will not answer calls occasionally

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, I am a new Blackberry user and I love my phone. Greatest phone ever. However, I have one major problem and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. Occasionally I will receive a phone call, but I will not be able to answer it. None of the buttons will work. I can silence the ringer with the mute button, but that's it. Then after the caller has stopped calling, the buttons will still not work, only the trackball. After about 2-3 minutes, the buttons come back to life again.

This is getting very annoying as I occasionally miss important calls. I would call Cingular about this, but I have a feeling they are going to say my phone is defective or something.

Anyone else having this problem, and if so, how did you get around it?

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:38 AM   #2
xXSilentScreamXx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmobile

go get a new one

Old 02-10-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I would wipe and reload the OS.

See this thread:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ipe#post414629
Old 02-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
wickcity
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: cingular

This happened to me for the first time yesterday. The phone rang and I couldn't answer the call. About 5 minutes later the same person called back and I was able to answer the call. Weird.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
yaoming7511

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
I would wipe and reload the OS.

See this thread:
I tried this, and it unfortunately it didn't work. Thanks though.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
Worm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: All
Carrier: Plead the fifth.

Hi, I'll try and stick my oar in ;)

Can you confirm how your address book came to be on the device (via cable/PC sync, bb sync etc), roughly how many entries it has in it and the approx detail i.e pictures?

Also have you noticed whether this occurs on particular call types(witheld, "call" or picture I.D), perhaps originating on a particular network or coming to the phone via divert? Are you in particular coverage conditions at the time (more in one location)? Does the site support EDGE?

Please could you also confirm your O/S version.

Seen this before, I'll have a think and mess about
Old 02-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #7
yaoming7511

Well good news, I think. I took my battery out of my BlackBerry for about 10 minutes and now it hasn't been gay in two days. Hopefully that was the solution.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Cingular

A good hard reset fixes alot of problems.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
chinookep

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaoming7511
Hi, I am a new Blackberry user and I love my phone. Greatest phone ever. However, I have one major problem and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. Occasionally I will receive a phone call, but I will not be able to answer it. None of the buttons will work. I can silence the ringer with the mute button, but that's it. Then after the caller has stopped calling, the buttons will still not work, only the trackball. After about 2-3 minutes, the buttons come back to life again.

This is getting very annoying as I occasionally miss important calls. I would call Cingular about this, but I have a feeling they are going to say my phone is defective or something.

Anyone else having this problem, and if so, how did you get around it?

Thanks.
Hi all,
New forum member, though I've been reading up since I've got a two month old Pearl and having the same problems.
I reflashed, and installed the new Cingular/ATT OS 4.2.0.71.
This week out of state on business I had the situation occur 4 calls in a row. The phone rings, the ignore/answer boxes light up....you can move the trackball but nothing happens when you select either one. Tried to answer with the send key and nothing simply responds. It goes to voice mail and the Pearl freezes for a few seconds. Then it is fine. It was doing it last month "occassionally" and hard resets seemed to make it OK. But it still does it after installing the new OS. I got pissed on the road and called ATT and told them to send me a warranty replacement. So the new one arrives today, but after reading this I'm starting to think it really isn't the firmware/hardware and something with Outlook or the address book that is hanging it. I have 450 contacts imported from Outlook. It syncs fine with calendar, tasks, etc. I really want this to work, but the intermittent ability to answer calls is maddening.

Any one have any ideas? I've got a Best Skin Ever and some grippy side things on my original Pearl, thus I'm not too stoked about converting to the replacement unit.

Lastly, third party apps installed:
Concrete Aces No limit poker
Berry 411
Google Mobile (gmail, maps, search, news)

Thanks in advance! ATT needs to have one of these units back in their hands in 10 days or they charge me.
Closed Thread