BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
crypto60
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: cingular
Default Use two sims in your blackberry!

Please Login to Remove!

In my search of various blackberry related forums I found very little info about this so I decided to try this myself:

DuoSIM, Dual SIM Card Adapter, Twin SIM Holder Manufacturer

I ordered the DuoSIM D2 - Universal Dual SIM Card Adapter to try in my unlocked t-mobile 8100.

It's a very tight fit but works! when you power on the phone you will see a "dual SIM" icon show up, clicking it shows me SIM1, SIM2, Both Sims Active and express/medium/slow.

(PS they warn to remove any SIM pin codes before using this) SIM1 is active by default, picking SIM2 changes the carrier logo to insert sim, however selecting power off device and powering it back on switches it to SIM2, no need to do a hard reset with a battery pull or anything like that.

I am not sure what the other options on the menu do (yet)

I was able to use 2 different SIMs with the same BES (both SIMs had a blackberry data plan on cingular) as BES is tied to the PIN not the phone number.

I wanted to post in the general forum because I am wondering if anybody has tested this method with any other blackberry model.

My plan is to give some of my BES users a pre-paid international sim to save on voice calls overseas. Unfortunatly while they switch to the 2nd SIM they won't have BES connectivity but since the switch process is so fast I think most will not complain.

BT

Last edited by John Clark; 03-08-2007 at 11:24 PM..
Old 03-08-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

This was posted about a while back. However, I don't remember anyone trying it in the 8100. Good to know it works.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

where would one buy this dual sim thingy?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Follow the link in his post.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:22 PM   #5
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Carrier: None

lol... man on this site seeing links is hard... lol its the same colour as the rest of the text.... my bad thanks john...
Old 03-08-2007, 11:25 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

yep...edited his link to include an underscore.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:37 AM   #7
dulcamara
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

Did you use the one where you have to cut the SIMs or the one where you do not?
Old 03-09-2007, 04:20 AM   #8
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

I've been considering buying one of these, it would work out great for when I travel because data roaming is cheap and voice roaming is quite exensive. My BlackBerry is unlocked so this way I can still send/receive email and use a pre paid sim with a local number to save money on my voice calls.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:34 AM   #9
sheik28
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

Looks great but I wish there was a SIM duplicator. SO that I didn't always have to carry my BB around.
In other words I could have one SIM in my RAZR and one SIM in my BB both for the same account.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #10
Tylast
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto60 View Post
I ordered the DuoSIM D2 - Universal Dual SIM Card Adapter to try in my unlocked t-mobile 8100.

It's a very tight fit but works! when you power on the phone you will see a "dual SIM" icon show up, clicking it shows me SIM1, SIM2, Both Sims Active and express/medium/slow.

I was able to use 2 different SIMs with the same BES (both SIMs had a blackberry data plan on cingular) as BES is tied to the PIN not the phone number.
1) You said you got the D2, but the website says that the X2 can have both SIMs active. That feature isn't listed under D2; does it work the same as the X2?

2) I wonder how it would work if one SIM was on a BES & the other was on a BIS? As far the data connection for both that is.

3) Can you select which SIM answers an incoming call?

4) What OS is your 8100 using now?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #11
John Clark
BBF Moderator

BES/BIS doesn't care what sim is in the device. It only looks at the PIN. You just need a data connection on the sim in order to communicate with the service.

I would think that each sim would have a different phone number therefore you woulnd't need to worry about which sim was answering as that would depend on the number the caller dialed.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:02 PM   #12
sdetweil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch

The Dual Simm card didn't work in my 8700 last fall.. still sitting here on my desk
Sam
Old 06-15-2007, 01:19 PM   #13
brufi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
Carrier: T-Online Germany
Default 2 identical sim cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheik28 View Post
Looks great but I wish there was a SIM duplicator. SO that I didn't always have to carry my BB around.
In other words I could have one SIM in my RAZR and one SIM in my BB both for the same account.
In Germany wit T-Mobile yo can have 3 identical cards, you can even call on them paralell. They all ring and wherever you pick up "wins".

There might be something like this with US carriers also.

I usally prefer to carry a second cheap phone with local SIM abroad, thats much more convenient than dual in one unit.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:16 PM   #14
phone_caller
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
The Dual Simm card didn't work in my 8700 last fall.. still sitting here on my desk
Sam
I wonder if this will work on my 8800?
Old 06-15-2007, 11:10 PM   #15
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

So that means in theory I could use my old at&t wireless(old school) sim card with a new att 3g card and have my sweet voice plan still active and get phone calls while surfing using the at&T one? Which one of those would I need?

So either phone number if called will ring reguardless of which one is one?
Let me know if any 8800 go in for it. If someone will let me know, which I one I should get thinking DuoSIM D2 - Universal Dual SIM Card Adapter.(one of my sim cards is the old 64k one I think though). I might have to pull the trigger and find out...
Old 06-16-2007, 01:00 AM   #16
OneHaTeYsX

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: fido

yeah do you only use one simcard at a time
Old 06-16-2007, 09:03 AM   #17
Tylast
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

OK, I'm just worried about that switching deal. Is the SIM not active when it's switching? What happens if someone is trying to call you when it's switching. OR, are both SIMs truly active at the same time? Hrmmmm.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:27 AM   #18
sdetweil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylast View Post
OK, I'm just worried about that switching deal. Is the SIM not active when it's switching? What happens if someone is trying to call you when it's switching. OR, are both SIMs truly active at the same time? Hrmmmm.

Both Sims are NOT active.. Only one at a time. the not active one is, well, not active. So, no incoming mail, and no incoming voice calls.
you get 'fast' switch, without having to reboot the phone. So it says, as it didn't work for me, couldn't get the first sim to work in the dual adapter..

Sam
Old 07-06-2007, 05:46 PM   #19
timc01
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

I have a duo sim in my 8700g works fine. Puts an icon on the berry so you can easily switch. Also can set it up so it will automatically switch between the two every 5 or 10 mins or so. I use the local sim when traveling and switch back to my t-mo account to pick up email.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:33 AM   #20
Klotar
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700R
PIN: On Request
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Wow, I'm kinda glad I saw this. I had heard of these before but saw a post somewhere that it (perhaps it was just of a certain type, as there are several different configurations available) wouldn't work for BB's because the icons for the switcher wouldn't work on the Java platform. That is, it'd be fine on WM devices but say, not fine on java, symbian, etc.

From what I remember, there were two basic configurations: one is where you chop up two sim cards so that they fit into a holder that goes into a single sim card slot. The other type is one where both sim cards are mounted in two holders connected by a strip (meaning there is no need to chop up sim cards) but then there may be a space issue on some phones since it must hold two sim cards.

And for those that are queasy about chopping up sim cards (I am, hehe), there is a special stamper/pliers thing ($35 us iirc) that can do a perfect job.

I'll have to look at that again if it works on BB's...
Closed Thread