Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
jp1979
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: tmobile
Default GPS Software questions

Please Login to Remove!

i am trying to decide between getting a gps puck and using my 8700 or just buying a standalone gps... i don't like telenav because of the monthly sub.. i would rather just buy something...

here are my questions:

on the BB, as you drive does it show you where you on your route and where the next turn is?

from reading Stinson's guide it looks like you have to press a button to get the next turn to show up. if that is the case, i could really just do the same thing without using the puck a long as i didn't get lost, couldn't i?

what am i gaining by using my BB for a GPS system? if i can pay 200 for a decent standalone gps, financialy does it make more since to go that route?

thanks
Old 03-30-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
knezek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: The New ;) AT&T

jp,

Yes BBMaps shows where you are on the map using a small red moving arrow. It also highlights the route to your location when using the directions feature. It does not tell you when to turn automatically though...
Old 03-30-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

jp1979 look no further than the following link:
Stinsonddog's Blackberry GPS Tips
Old 04-07-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1979
i am trying to decide between getting a gps puck and using my 8700 or just buying a standalone gps... i don't like telenav because of the monthly sub.. i would rather just buy something...

here are my questions:

on the BB, as you drive does it show you where you on your route and where the next turn is?

from reading Stinson's guide it looks like you have to press a button to get the next turn to show up. if that is the case, i could really just do the same thing without using the puck a long as i didn't get lost, couldn't i?

what am i gaining by using my BB for a GPS system? if i can pay 200 for a decent standalone gps, financialy does it make more since to go that route?

thanks
1 & 2. Taking BB Maps as an example, GPS gives you your location on the map. If you've used dirctions to plot a route on the map, you can see your cupcoming turns via the plotted route. That's the way I use it. Or you can follow the written directions. You can, as you say, follow the written directions without GPS. For me, though, I've been in plenty of places where streets are not well marked or there is a turn that's hard to recognize and I don't know I've missed it til it's way too late. That's when the GPS pays for itself over just having a map.

3. A standalone GPS has the advantage over the BB in theat the BB needs the data signal. The advantage of the BB is convenience -- if you are like me, the BB is always with you. Which makes most financial sense is up to you.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

In my opinion, after using the BBMaps and Bluetooth GPS, I think I will go for the stand alone GPS. I am thinking of getting the TomTom1. I heard those are very good GPS.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:05 PM   #6
howitzer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucejr
jp1979 look no further than the following link:
Stinsonddog's Blackberry GPS Tips

Thank you for the link; it answered every GPS question I had about BB.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #7
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

secrecyguy I wouldn't judge GPS navigation on the BB from BBMaps. There are plenty of comments about that program if you search this forum. Try TeleNav (TeleNav - Always find your way!) for a better standalone to BB GPS Navigation software comparision. Stinsond tips is a good starting place but right now there really isn't anything but TeleNav available and it has a free trial so you can easily judge for yourself.

I think the only real benefit of having the BB GPS is that you always have it with you and it is easy to use. I wouldn't always carry a GPS on me even if I had the Garmin Nuvi. In my car I have a Garmin 2730 but more and more I use the BB and TeleNav when I need GPS as it is easier than setting up the Garmin. However, I find TeleNav really slows down the BB. I can make calls but even when I press the end key, the BB is slow to respond and you can forget just about everything else.

Regards-Michael G.
Closed Thread