BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:28 PM   #1
aaelghat

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular & T-Mobile
Default Is it possible to have Cingular voice and T-Mobile data on the same BB Pearl?

Please Login to Remove!

I have an unlocked Pearl from T-Mobile. I was experiencing poor sound quality and I tried different things to rectify it (reset umpteen times, swapped out the phone, the simcard, etc.) and finally I signed up with Cingular. The quality seems better (people say they hear me fine, but other people's voices sometimes sound garbled and muffled). At this point in time I have both an active T-Mobile voice and data plan as well as an active Cingular voice and data plan.

The interesting thing, is that I haven't set-up my BB email through my Cingular account, but when I'm using the Cingular SIM card, all my email is being pushed to me, presumable from the settings I have active with T-Mobile. T-Mobile seems to have a better data plan, because I can tether my BB at no extra charge.

My question is whether I can have the Cingular SIM card in my BB and just have a Cingular voice plan, and drop my T-Mobile voice plan so that I just have a data plan with T-Mobile. Can my Pearl with a Cingular SIM card still access a T-Mobile data plan? Would that work?

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
nexteli836man
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

nope its sim dependent one or the other
Old 04-23-2007, 01:36 PM   #3
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

It's going to have to be one or the other..... Sorry......
Old 04-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

SIM is provider dependent.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
aaelghat

So out of curiosity, why are my BB emails getting delivered to me when my Cingular SIM card is in the phone? All my email delivery options were set-up with T-Mobile. I never set-up anything with regards to mail at the Cingular web site.

I imagine it's because the emails just go out from the Blackberry network but they get delivered by Cingular even though my mailboxes are specified at T-Mobile? Interestingly, when I send out an email with my Cingular SIM card in the phone, my T-mobile signature (Blackberry service by T-Mobile) is appended.

Also, on another forum people were saying that you could occasionally use a Cingular phone as a tethered modem even if you didn't sign-up for the tethered plan by specifying wap.cingular.com instead of isp.cingular.com in one of the phone configurations. Someone else said you couldn't do that with a Blackberry, but I wanted to ask on this forum since it's more Blackberry specific. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

As long as the BB is unlocked, you can put another carrier's SIM in the BB and it will work. But that does not matter in regard to your initial question which everyone answered that you cannot have a BB Data Plan from one carrier and a voice plan from another, all working on the SAME device.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
itladyee
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: bd&st
Carrier: at&t/Verizon

Ironically I was bored yesterday and started playing around with the same concept - sort of...

Blackberry is still pushing your pop email via your PIN.

I unlocked my T-Mobile BB and put my cingular card in. First - without a BB data plan from Cingular you will get a "data connection refused" message.

I activated the data plan and still got my pop email. I'm also on exchange - I did not get that email.

I tried to use the bb webclient through cingular to set up the BB to receive my POP mail while removing them from T-Mobile site and the webclient told me that the PIN was already in use (and like you - I never set anything up with Cingular).

My plan is to switch to cingular and drop t-mobile but I can get the enterprise activation button back when I put in my cingular card...

Off to search the forum....
Old 04-23-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
aaelghat

Thanks for your test results itladyee.

So to recap, since the BB POP email push for a BIS plan happens via the PIN. It SHOULD work to mix and match the Cingular voice with the T-mobile data. Cingular will give an initial "data connection refused" message, but the POP email push will still work. Is that correct?

That certainly explains why with my Cingular SIM card I'm getting my 10 email accounts delivered to my Blackberry when I never set them up on Cingular, and why my email gets appended with my T-mobile signature even though (again) my Cingular SIM card is in the phone.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:57 PM   #9
itladyee
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: bd&st
Carrier: at&t/Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaelghat View Post

So to recap, since the BB POP email push for a BIS plan happens via the PIN. It SHOULD work to mix and match the Cingular voice with the T-mobile data. Cingular will give an initial "data connection refused" message, but the POP email push will still work. Is that correct?
Yes and No. In order to receive any data on Cingular you have to have a data plan. So in order to accomplish your goal - you would need a data plan on cingular AND on T-mobile.

Not worth the cost - i say...