BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
bmwmpower
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Unlocking a Cingular 8800 for T-Mobile?

Please Login to Remove!

Sorry if the question seems n00bish but I've searched. I think I'll go the cheap route and buy an 8800 for Cingular and unlock it. Anyone know how to do this? This guy is sellin new 8800s on Craig's list and wants to charge me $35 to unlock it.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Contact Adam at GSMPhoneSource.com - he unlocked my 8800 for use on T-Mobile. I think he charged less...
Old 04-24-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

That is a very fair price to unlock the 8800.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
jenz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: cingular

not meant to be a hijack, but why are people paying for an unlock code? i simply called cingular a few days after i bought my 8800 and asked for the unlock code and received it within days for $0.00.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
azmmza
Thumbs Must Hurt

you can go to my site & get the code
same day turm around
www.unockblackberry.org
Old 04-25-2007, 10:02 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenz View Post
not meant to be a hijack, but why are people paying for an unlock code? i simply called cingular a few days after i bought my 8800 and asked for the unlock code and received it within days for $0.00.
Not everyone buy directly from Cingular -- the OP even specifically mentions Craigslist. In some cases Cingular won't provide an unlock code right away.

Last edited by takeshi; 04-25-2007 at 10:03 AM..
Old 04-25-2007, 10:12 AM   #7
nsquark
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

If you are a T-Moblie customer for at least six months then they will give you the unlock code with instructions (no questions asked). Just call their support and ask. They will provide an unlock code once every six months.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
gsmps
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Contact Adam at GSMPhoneSource.com - he unlocked my 8800 for use on T-Mobile. I think he charged less...
Yea he does, plus if you use the coupon "unlock" when ordering you get $2.00 off the already low price

Last edited by gsmps; 04-29-2007 at 07:43 PM..
Old 04-25-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
nsquark
Thumbs Must Hurt

I would assume that since the title of the thread is "Unlocking a Cingular 8800 for T-Mobile?" that you infact have T-Mobile. Why pay for this when T-Mobile will unlock for you for FREE?
Old 04-25-2007, 03:17 PM   #10
armandov99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquark View Post
I would assume that since the title of the thread is "Unlocking a Cingular 8800 for T-Mobile?" that you infact have T-Mobile. Why pay for this when T-Mobile will unlock for you for FREE?
T-Mobile will unlock a T-MOBILE unit, but not a Cingular unit. The OP is using remote unlocking because that's what you have to do to unlock a unit from a provider other than your own.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:33 PM   #11
nsquark
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandov99 View Post
T-Mobile will unlock a T-MOBILE unit, but not a Cingular unit. The OP is using remote unlocking because that's what you have to do to unlock a unit from a provider other than your own.
T-Mobile will unlock any unit regardless of the original provider. You do not have to use remote unlocking to unlock the device. I've unlocked many blackberry units from various carriers by simply calling T-Mobile and asking them for the code/instructions. Don't pay for something when you can get it for free.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #12
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Sorry nsquark - you must have some VERY good contacts at T-Mobile. They do not unlock other carrier's BlackBerry.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:20 PM   #13
armandov99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

From the T-Mo website:

SIM Unlock Requests:

T-Mobile customers must meet the following eligibility requirements before contacting Customer Service to request your SIM Unlock code.

The following restrictions apply to all account types:

* T-Mobile can provide SIM Unlock Codes only for handsets sold by T-Mobile USA, with the exception of Danger Sidekick devices. T-Mobile can obtain SIM Unlock Codes for companies acquired by t-Mobile USA (VoiceStream, Aerial, Omnipoint, SOL, Digiph, PCS One, and Powertel).
* SIM Unlock Codes will only be provided after your account has been active for 90 days. Only one unlock code may be provided per customer every 90 days.
* No SIM Unlock Codes will be provided within the 14-Day Buyer's Remorse period. Customers who purchase phones in CA California or via Amazon.com are granted a 30-Day Buyer's Remorse Period.
* SIM Unlock Codes are not always available from the Manufacturer. However, T-Mobile will make a dedicated effort to obtain the SIM Unlock code. Note: Other restrictions may apply depending on account type.

I wasn't even aware that T-Mobile was given unlock codes from the manufacturers for units that went to other carriers. I have no idea how you got phones unlocked through T-Mobile that weren't originally shipped to them. But I guess it's worth a shot, however, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:11 AM   #14
nsquark
Thumbs Must Hurt

Honestly, I haven't had a device unlocked for about 8 months now and I didn't check their new policy before dispensing advice. Thank you for correcting me. I have had several devices that were not sold by T-Mobile unlocked in the past. They even asked for the carrier the device was on previously. It's sad to see they have changed their policy.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:25 AM   #15
bglawrence

i called cingular customer service the day I bought my phone ( I have tmo service too) and the woman just asked for a receipt to be faxed. Gave her the imei # and she walked me thru unlocking over the phone. She was awesome and probably rare. They unlock them without an explanation or contract, or service, for those buying it for international use with international sim cards. Bought mine and within 2 hours was unlocked. I recommend going directly to their data support reps vs the 1st level reps. But honestly, the money to unlock it is well spent and much less of a hassle.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #16
nsquark
Thumbs Must Hurt

Actually it was a year ago, I last got an unlock code. I found the old email from T-Mobile. I don't want anyone to think I'm crazy so I posted it below.

To ensure that we have the correct IMEI, please obtain the IMEI directly from the handset by pressing *#06#. Once this is obtained, please submit a new request including the information below:

1. T-Mobile account and mobile number (required)
2. IMEI number, press *#06# on handset to get the IMEI (required)
3. Contact number or email address
4. Make and model of the phone
5. Carrier's name (if the phone came from another carrier)
6. A brief reason for the request
7. Dealer Code (if the request is from a dealer on behalf of a customer)

NOTE: If this is not a T-Mobile handset, we would need to request the unlock code from the other provider. Since T-Mobile is requesting an unlock code from another carrier we cannot guarantee the response time or that a unlock code will be provided.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:10 PM   #17
smilingburgers

Model: 8830

I just posted this somewhere else but I think it may be more appropriate here:

Just out of curiosity, why would a person want to unlock a CDMA phone?

I hear that the major advantages to unlocking are being able to switch carriers/SIM cards.

Since CDMA phones don't use a SIM card...

Could I purchase a Sprint BB, unlock it, and use on Verizon? If so, what technical advantages would that be?

I am speaking specifically of the 8830. If I were to wait to purchase Sprint's and "unlock" it, what would that do for me?

With Sprint's version of the 8830, there are more active GMS frequencies. Does this mean I could use the Sprint 8830 on Cingular? If so, why would someone do that? How does a SIM card play into this situation?
Old 04-27-2007, 08:51 AM   #18
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

...and again, you can't unlock a CDMA phone. No need to crosspost.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #19
bmwmpower
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmmza View Post
you can go to my site & get the code
same day turm around
www.unockblackberry.org

BULLSH!T!!! SCAM!!!!!!!